Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Back from Europe - its going to be a CROWDED this year

In case you didn't know, this is going to be the biggest travel year for Americans to Europe sonce 2001, and Europe itself is booming with internal travel now that the EU has opened the borders, so bottom line - Europe will be very busy this year!

How many of you are going to cruise in Europe this year? I just got back and I can tell you that Paris was already overflowing with people (well, it was Easter weekend), and that the airlines are all full as well.

If you don't have your air tickets yet, try to get them soon before the prices go up. PLUS - do try to get your seat as early as possible as a lot of flights are already overbooked.
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Back from Europe - its going to be a CROWDED this year

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
In case you didn't know, this is going to be the biggest travel year for Americans to Europe sonce 2001, and Europe itself is booming with internal travel now that the EU has opened the borders, so bottom line - Europe will be very busy this year!

How many of you are going to cruise in Europe this year? I just got back and I can tell you that Paris was already overflowing with people (well, it was Easter weekend), and that the airlines are all full as well.

If you don't have your air tickets yet, try to get them soon before the prices go up. PLUS - do try to get your seat as early as possible as a lot of flights are already overbooked.
I'm heading to Europe on 26 October for a 14 night cruise to the "Exotic Mediterranean & Black Sea" aboard MV Galaxy on the 27th, followed by three nights in Roma before flying back to the States. I'm somewhat disappointed that Celebrity dropped the scheduled port of call in Romania (Constanta), but the replacement (Yalta, a second port of call in the Ukraine) is not a bad alternative!

Others coming?

Norm.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Welcome home Paul!! Hope you had a wonderful river cruise.

We're heading to the Greek Islands, Turkey and Egypt next month on NCL Jewel. Hopefully that end of the Med won't be too busy yet.

I know the cruise lines are talking about a HUGE cruise season in Europe, so I'm certain there will indeed be big crowds throughout the summer months.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Shall be heading there next month- flying out on, May 23rd into Rome for 2 nights and then get on the Regent Voyager ship for 7 nights and do a post cruise in Nice, France for one night.
We have found that the end of May the weather is perfect and before the kids get out of school

My countdown is at 6 weeks- getting in before the crowds come in and we are going to be on a small ship.

Jan

Caribbean Princess Christmas Cruise 12/07
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I'll be heading to London (probably on 10/27) for two days precruise before boarding the Jewel OTS for her westbound TA. I know that that is shoulder season and it should be a bit better crowd wise than high season.

Anyone know what type of weather to expect in London/South Hampton/Le Havre and La Coruna, Spain for late October/early November? I personally am thinking cool and windy with possible rain?
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Admiral

We are heading to Copenhagen on 21 June. We have a Danish pre-cruise then 14 nights on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager to Norway and Spitzbergen along with a foray into the Polar Ice Cap. We are heading to Netherlands in September for a meeting followed by a couple of days in Germany to see Arlene's old school and home.

Next year, we are already booked on Regent Seven Seas Voyager 14 nights Athens to Monte Carlo including THREE FULL days in Venice (two over nights) to celebrate one of Arlene's birthdays that end in a "0."

I guess we are spending a lot of time in Europe these days.

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Mariner - Bermuda - April 2016

Seven Seas Explorer - Med - October 2016
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I can tell you that the April weather we had in Normandy (French side of English Channel) was freezing! Not the temperature, the wind-chill.

Europe can get pretty cold, and also pretty hot. The med is usually consistently warm, but anywhere else is unpredictable. I have heard October can be rainy.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Yeoman

It can also be very busy as people live here and some places like Rome at "most times" will be even busier than the rest of the "park" due to the attraction of the "ride"

Jeez, Europes busy, well it will be like most theme parks at peak season.

And actually Europe, has not expanded,,,its still the same size.

ps

Thinking of taking a a break to New York in May, but not sure if it will be "crowded" any advice?

Old April 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It can also be very busy as people live here and some places like Rome at "most times" will be even busier than the rest of the "park" due to the attraction of the "ride"
Paul's post was specifically talking about the upcoming tourist season.... which people in the travel industry believe will see a booming tourist season!

After 9/11 there have been several years where tourism throughout Europe declined quite significantly. We did a European cruise in 2002... where there were virtually no line ups at some of the major attractions.

If this season is as busy as people expect, people should take it into consideration because their short times in their ports of call will be impacted by waiting time in lines, and as Paul pointed out, getting decently priced air for the routes people want will no doubt be a factor as well if demand is up.

Hand in hand with increased demand are increased prices from tour operators, increased prices for hotel stays, etc.

It's easy to say: these are cities and are naturally busy... but larger than expected influxes of tourists does impact and make them busier.

Better for people to be informed of increased demand, and plan accordingly, and that's what the original post was doing.

As far as your visit to New York, we were there last June, and it's a great city, with lots to see and do.
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Yeoman

You fish, sometimes you catch
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
You fish, sometimes you catch
Right David.. much better to "fish" than to try and share helpful, and factual information Whatever floats your ship I guess
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yeoman

Okay Kuki, I will give advice and not "wit" to the statement.

Europe in any port you want to visit between late June and late August will be VERY busy, as the Europeans are on holiday/vacation as well.

That is prime time for Europeans to go on the ships visiting the MED and the "other" people not on a cruise, but on land based vacations, and from all around the world.

So everything will be "busier" to some degree and land based excursions to prime points will be even busier during these times to an extent that they are not worth going to, Rome for example unless standing in line for nearly two hours in 90 degrees is your thing.

But even after that terrible day and for years after 911, Europe has always been busy, with Europeans and others from the world.

Pleased to see you all coming back, but it will just add to the existing crowd from elsewhere, its not going to make it crowded, it already was.

People from continental America are more than welcome to take part, and they have been coming since 911, but sorry Europe appreciates the input but has not relied on it.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Thanks David! Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

With the cruise season over there being a big one, it helps to have someone from the area, to get good information from.
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeoman

What you trying to do Kuki, turn me into a sensible correspondent

Tip one for those not having been to Europe before: When in major cities like Rome, Barcelona, Naples etc. Think like you are in the worst part of New York, keep your guard up, there can be a lot of crime. Dont fall into tourist mode and get caught out

Tip two, enjoy and take it for what it is, different, cultural if you want and potentially a great experience. Its so different if you have not been here. If you open your mind you will enjoy it. Well, we do and thats why its always "crowded"