Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Angelgal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Cruisers pay thousands of dollars to cruise..... I think they should be able to take cases of water on board a ship. I have seen it done for older seniors.
I would get a note from my doctor and show it to them if I needed to take lots of bottled water on board.
I will not drink the recycled water on board unless I have to in ice tea.
The drinking water onboard is NOT recycled. Rather, it's distilled directly from the ocean. The distilling process naturally yields "Grade B" water, which is considerably purer than whatever brand of drinking water ("Grade C") you buy in a bottle. In fact, what comes in a bottle usually is just the tap water at the bottling plant.

For the record, "Grade A" water is distilled and then demineralized. Back in the good old days, steam ships produced it, but exclusively for the ship's boilers, where crystalization of minerals would interfere with heat transfer, due to the cost of demineralization. Modern ships with diesel-electric or turbo-electric propulsion systems have no need.

Norm.
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Angelgal,

The drinking water onboard is NOT recycled. Rather, it's distilled directly from the ocean. The distilling process naturally yields "Grade B" water, which is considerably purer than whatever brand of drinking water ("Grade C") you buy in a bottle. In fact, what comes in a bottle usually is just the tap water at the bottling plant.

For the record, "Grade A" water is distilled and then demineralized. Back in the good old days, steam ships produced it, but exclusively for the ship's boilers, where crystalization of minerals would interfere with heat transfer, due to the cost of demineralization. Modern ships with diesel-electric or turbo-electric propulsion systems have no need.

Norm.
Wow! Talk about a wealth of info. So what grade is the water that comes from a city tap? Just curious Carla
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel

Wow! Talk about a wealth of info. So what grade is the water that comes from a city tap? Just curious Carla
Here in Phoenix, I think it would rank pretty poor.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Policy Reversed Again

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine and champagne onboard during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring small quantities of nonalcoholic beverages. All liquor, excessive quantities of wine and non-alcoholic beverages, to be determined at the discretion of security and embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in the ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage."[/quote]
Not only do they need to define "small" and "excessive" quantities, inquiring minds want to know what a "fine" wine is. I make my own. If I were an orthodox Jew, it might be Manischewitz or Mogen David. I suspect the kosher wine's screw-off cap would disqualify it from snob status. Call me a "bubba cruiser", but Carnival's very use of the term "fine wine" pushes my buttons. It's like WalMart selling "gourmet coffee".
One more question: Does Carnival sell non-alcoholic beer on board?
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgal

I can't drink alcohol any more due to meds I take.
Is this a new situation? Because when we saw you in Mazatlan, the margaritas were free flowing and you were feeling no pain! !! If I recall correctly, you left no tabletop undanced upon at Sr. Frogs!!!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006