Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Carnivals new "Liquids" policy

Quote:
Carnival Cruise Lines yesterday announced that it has changed its beverage policies. Passengers are no longer allowed to take nonalcoholic beverages onboard, including water. And they will now be limited to one bottle of wine per adult upon embarkation only. The new policy also warns that ship personnel will confiscate and discard any outlawed beverages. Carnival will continue to charge a $10 corkage fee per bottle for personal wine consumed in the dining room ($14 for the Supper Clubs). Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the rule was changed because security and embarkation personnel were reporting that passengers were "abusing" the previous guidelines, which allowed cruise-goers to carry on board a "small quantity" of nonalcoholic beverages, wine and champagne, both at embarkation and while in port. Asked whether the abuse related to passengers carting cases of bottled water aboard, or toting suitcases full of wine, or smuggling vodka disguised as water (hard liquor has never been permitted as a carry-on), Gulliksen said the issue related to "excessive amounts of nonalcoholic beverages being brought on board."
What does everyone think of this new policy?????

I can understand the cruise lines being concerned about liquor being brought onboard (even if I don't necessarily agree with it), because I think many people have taken to mixing drinks in their own cabins, and taking them out to the ship's public areas.... which is tacky.

However disallowing sodas, water, etc is stepping over the line. Afterall at hotel, or land based resort, guests are certainly allowed to go to a store and bring in whatever they'd like for in room consumption.

I guess, the bottom line is that passengers will continue to pack all these forms of "contraband" in their luggage to bring them onboard..... unless the Carnival were to force their cabin stewards to turn in any violations in the policy; ie reporting items found in guest cabins. Do you think they would do that, knowing it could impact gratuities.
Seems like it's just another rule that won't get enforced, unless unknowing people try and bring it on in their carry ons.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree with you, Kuki. I think Carnival should "take their lumps" on this issue and allow people to bring liquid on board. It is just plain bad customer service and obvious posturing to require people to buy their expensive beverages on board no matter what. No other hotel or vacation entity does this.

The only exception I could see is if it is a security issue, like the airlines, where they actually think someone is trying to smuggle something dangerous onboard. But someone who goes out and buys a gallon of water because they only drink bottled water should not have that taken away and be forced to buy pints of Evian at 3 times the street price. (that would be my wife, who will not drink any tap water no matter what).

I hate to say it, but I saw a lot of open talk about "how to smuggle alcohol on board" at other cruise sites, and when you start to advocate it openly, you contribute to the cruise lines changing their policies in return.

If someone wanted to smuggle booze onboard, she/he should have just played it cool and not talked about it openly. But like music pirating on the web, they had to build a Napster instead and start telling everyone how to beat the system. And so the system cracked down.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I find it hard to believe that an increase in the number of people bringing on large quantities of water and soda caused the change in policy. Unless revenues from the on board soda cards were significantly on the decline.

I have never understood why reasonable quantities of wine and champagne were allowed, but not beer. Some land restaurants have only a wine and beer license while others have licenses to serve all types of alcholic beverages.

Smuggling is going to have to rise to a more creative form. No more suitcase dollies rolling on cases of beer disguised as "soda" in their 12 and 24 pack cardboard boxes!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
No more suitcase dollies rolling on cases of beer disguised as "soda" in their 12 and 24 pack cardboard boxes!
You can do that?
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Admiral

On message boards I have read about smuggling beer on board. One suggestion was to remove inner cans of coke in a cardboard case and replace with beer.

I have actually SEEN a passenger or two with a wheeled tote designed for carrying luggage, piled with cases of soft drinks and water, go through security. I have seen cases of soft drinks and water sitting outside of passenger cabins, along with luggage that had been delivered as well, on embarkation day. Now, whether those cases of cokes contained beer or not I do not know. Either way, that to me is excessive.

Again, the actions of a few, affect the entire population. IMO alcohol policies should be specific, i.e. one bottle of wine, 1 six pack of soda, etc. The term "reasonable amount" will always be intepreted differently from person to person.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Admiral

I for one don't understand the new policy about the bottled water and soda's. You would not think that this is a huge money marker for the cruiselines anyways but maybe the tips have declined for their employees and that is the reason - or most likely to curb the alcohol smuggling in water bottles and soda bottles -

another benefit to the cruise line would be to better manage alcohol intake so as not to have overserved guests or underage drinkers - now that just made me laugh - they haven't done very well with that either
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Actually, if the fact is, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit, that the majority of people who smuggle liquor on board are the same people who end up getting raucously drunk and obnoxious, then I would agree with the policy.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Actually, if the fact is, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit, that the majority of people who smuggle liquor on board are the same people who end up getting raucously drunk and obnoxious, then I would agree with the policy.
hmmmm: who wants to volunteer to do a poll on their next cruise and question every loud, rowdy and obnoxious drunk as to whether or not they purchased all the alochol on board or if they smuggled any on board? Wouldn't be a very safe job

my guess from past experience would be 50/50; even if there was absolutely no alcohol smuggled on board, you would still have the 'out of line' drunk - you may have less underage drinking and I think that is probably the goal of Carnival
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree with the policy BUT I believe they should have a good in-cabin bar set up that people can order prior to their cruise. This would include beer, wine, soda and spirits.

I personally order an in-cabin bar set up on lines that offer it. On lines that don't my wife ends up smuggling on a bottle, in the suitcase, for in-cabin drinks. I am happy to pay $50 - $60 for a bottle of Beefeaters or $45 - $50 for a bottle of Smirnoff so my wife can have a Vodka tonic in the evening. I hate the idea of packing it and smuggling it on board but I also hate the idea of ordering it from room service and waiting 20 minutes for it to show up while we are sitting on the balcony.

It can be a revenue source for the cruise line and a convenience for the passenger. I can't understand why anyone would want to schlep a couple of cases of beer on board the ship. Then again, that's my perspective.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I can understand the restrictions about bring onboard hard liquor, but not the water, soda, etc. Although, I suspect that there were those who would bring an entire case of water and or soda onboard. I'm sure it really eats into the the profits, therefore the new policy.

Now, I wonder if the other lines will follow suit?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My opinion of shlepping booze onboard, and all the rigamarole of wrapping it, so it won't spill, and worrying about,"will I get caught," has always seemed tacky to me..sorry if that offends anyone, but just buy the drinks!

As far as the water issue goes, thats a different story...this will go by the wayside I bet..so, bring along a couple of empties, and fill onboard, makes everyone happy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I can understand the restrictions about bring onboard hard liquor, but not the water, soda, etc. Although, I suspect that there were those who would bring an entire case of water and or soda onboard. I'm sure it really eats into the the profits, therefore the new policy.

Now, I wonder if the other lines will follow suit?
Regent Seven Seas lets you bring on all the water, soda, or alcoholic beverages you want. I believe that Oceania also has no restriction (but I have no first hand experience).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
" Regent Seven Seas lets you bring on all the water, soda, or alcoholic beverages you want. I believe that Oceania also has no restriction (but I have no first hand experience). "
Mark, don't you find it rather "biased reporting" to say this about Regent without first disclosing that all of those things are also prepaid by you in your cruise fare?

Isn't that like commending Carnival for saying you can bring all the food on board you want?

Some kid of Yellow Dog Journalism going on here?

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Admiral

I have never been one to bring beverages onboard. My suitcases are heavy enough without me adding liquid weight. This is just something that I've never even considered doing.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Paul, exactly true. You either pay one way or the other.

I should have used the necessary emoticons to show sarcasm in my post.

I have been paying attention to the Carnival board for the last week since your news story was posted to see how people are responding to the restrictions and to see if Carnival follows through with enforcement. Me, I am like Mike. I just want to have the opportunity to buy a bottle onboard for my room.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If I didn't just abhor the idea of putting liquids in my suitcase, and if I drank hard liquor like vodka, then I might have considered doing this in my younger days, but never now even if it was allowed.

But again, it all boils down to just "being cool" about it. If so many people hadn't been bragging about it on another board this never would have happened. I hate to say it, but they even did a poll about it. "How do you feel about sneaking liquor aboard?"

Obviously the simple way to do it would be to empty a large bottle of Scope, fill it with Vodka or Gin, and add green food coloring. To make it look really authentic, carefully re-apply the shrinkwrap. but I didn't just say that.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
If I didn't just abhor the idea of putting liquids in my suitcase, and if I drank hard liquor like vodka, then I might have considered doing this in my younger days, but never now even if it was allowed.

But again, it all boils down to just "being cool" about it. If so many people hadn't been bragging about it on another board this never would have happened. I hate to say it, but they even did a poll about it. "How do you feel about sneaking liquor aboard?"

Obviously the simple way to do it would be to empty a large bottle of Scope, fill it with Vodka or Gin, and add green food coloring. To make it look really authentic, carefully re-apply the shrinkwrap. but I didn't just say that.

there are still many ways to do it and certainly this one is the more popular method - but if I were to do it; not saying that I would, but if I were to decide that there isn' t enough alcohol on the ship for me and I needed to smuggle some more on, I am not telling everyone about it on any cruise board - nope, not gonna tell.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

But Martha,

That presupposes that the cruise lines are reading your post, and saying to their security staffs "watch out for that Martha lady -- she might be smuggling something."

No way that could possibly happen!

Dean
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Passenger

my answer to the confication of bottles, CRUISE ON A DIFFERENT CRUISE LINE.
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
But Martha,

That presupposes that the cruise lines are reading your post, and saying to their security staffs "watch out for that Martha lady -- she might be smuggling something."

No way that could possibly happen!

Dean
but alas, I won't be because I am too lazy for that, it is a vacation and if I can't afford a drink or two then I don't drink . But trust me, Carnival and especially their servers are always pleased with my bar bill.

But I would like to see an option to have a minibar stocked to your preference in your room and I would Pay for it as well. It would be nice to be able to mix your favorite beverage and sit on the balcony or for a true night cap before turning in.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Policy Reversed Again

Did anyone else see this?

Carnival Revises its Liquor & Beverage Policy
Carnival Cruise Lines has repealed the recent change to its onboard beverage policy, and will allow passengers to bring limited quantities of nonalcoholic beverages aboard. Carnival said that since enacting a policy that prohibited passengers from bringing alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages onboard, including bottles of water, it has reconsidered the new policy, which came about as a result of what it called abuse on the part of passengers bringing nonalcoholic beverages onboard.

We've been re-examining the policy for the past couple of weeks," said spokesman Vance Gulliksen. "Behind the scenes, we have been monitoring reaction to the ban on bringing limited quantities of nonalcoholic beverages onboard and discussing it at length internally for a few weeks now. In the end it was decided to continue to allow limited quantities but to monitor the situation."

The policy concerning alcoholic beverages has not changed.

Carnival's new official Liquor and Beverage Policy is stated as follows:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine and champagne onboard during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring small quantities of nonalcoholic beverages. All liquor, excessive quantities of wine and non-alcoholic beverages, to be determined at the discretion of security and embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in the ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage."
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Admiral

my first thought on this: look at the timing: the policy went right into effect before spring break and was done away with after spring break.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnivals new "Liquids" policy

[quote="Kuki"]
Quote:
What does everyone think of this new policy?????

I can understand the cruise lines being concerned about liquor being brought onboard (even if I don't necessarily agree with it), because I think many people have taken to mixing drinks in their own cabins, and taking them out to the ship's public areas.... which is tacky.
I think it sucks. I can understand the prohibition against carrying on liquor ... though I also don't agree with that ... but the cruise line's refusal to let passengers bring onboard non-alcoholic beverages goes beyond tacky. It borders on greed.

What happens if an entire family is cruising for the week ... say mom, dad and four kids spaced out over two cabins. The kids are used to drinking bottled water at home. Do you realize how expensive it will be for mom and dad to keep four kids in bottled water for the duration of a seven-day cruise ... at cruise line prices? Of course, they would want to carry on a case or two of their own supply. Nothing wrong with that.

By issuing this policy change, the cruise line is probably shooting themselves in the foot. Now mom and dad will think twice before booking a cruise as a family vacation. After all, they can certainly carrying in their cases of bottled water at most resort properties. No one would say a word.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yeoman

I have seen people boarding a ship with cases of bottled water. It must have been like 48 bottles for the whole family I am guessing.

I have a friend who only drinks bottled water and she said she spent $200. dollars on the ship just buying bottled water. She has money so that was not a problem with her.

I personally always pack a 6 pack of bottled coke and a few bottles of water in my LOCKED LUGGAGE when I hand over my luggage to the Carnival and all other cruiseships. I don't plan to change that habit.
My luggage has never been unlocked by the cruiselines.

Another thing I do is give my cabin steward a gift like a Hollywood t-shirt or telephone card and a few bucks. So if he/she sees my sodas and water he will not report it. I take the cabin stewards gifts just because I want to give them a gift from my home town and not because I want to bribe them. It doesn't really matter what policy a ship has on liquids because there are some people that do need to drink bottled water for medical reasons. You may not believe this... but some people do get ill if it is not a certain brand of water. I am one of those people who has to be careful and just drink bottled water or I get nauseous with drinking tap water. I always buy me a large bottle of water in every port and a few cokes. I have never had a problem boarding back to the ship.
I can't drink alcohol any more due to meds I take.
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Passenger

If I wanted to purchase a bottle of Captain and have it in my room, can I purchase that directly from the cruiseline?

Thank you!
Kevin
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnivals new "Liquids" policy

Rita,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What happens if an entire family is cruising for the week ... say mom, dad and four kids spaced out over two cabins. The kids are used to drinking bottled water at home. Do you realize how expensive it will be for mom and dad to keep four kids in bottled water for the duration of a seven-day cruise ... at cruise line prices? Of course, they would want to carry on a case or two of their own supply. Nothing wrong with that.
I don't see a problem.

The tap water aboard ship, which the ship actually distills from the ocean, is more pure, and thus healthier, than most commercial bottled waters. A family need only bring one or two bottles per person and refill them from the tap while onboard.

With two bottles per person, each person can place one in the refrigerator to get cold while drinking the other, if desired.

Norm.
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Angelgal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It doesn't really matter what policy a ship has on liquids because there are some people that do need to drink bottled water for medical reasons. You may not believe this... but some people do get ill if it is not a certain brand of water. I am one of those people who has to be careful and just drink bottled water or I get nauseous with drinking tap water.
Have you tried the tap water aboard ship? It's actually purer than nearly all bottled water.

Norm.
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with Norm, give the tap water a try before you judge it. I've found it to be just fine and I also drink bottled water.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yeoman

Cruisers pay thousands of dollars to cruise..... I think they should be able to take cases of water on board a ship. I have seen it done for older seniors.
I would get a note from my doctor and show it to them if I needed to take lots of bottled water on board.
I will not drink the recycled water on board unless I have to in ice tea.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Hello.

I was just on Carnival's site and under the FAQ page, it still has "small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages" listed.

We have always taken 4-6 20oz bottles of pepsi and mtn dew with us because I prefer them to the coke products.