Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Default Video Arcade Moves Into the Atrium

NCL is in the process of outfitting all their ships with Nintendo's new Wii video game system. Ok, I admit, I don't have a clue what Nintendo's new video game system is, as my experience with video games first began, and pretty much ended, with PacMan. I recognize, and honor the "each to their own" idea of what passengers wish to do while cruising-but, bringing video gaming contests to the atrium with large video screens seems to be quite a leap "out of the box" for a cruise line.

I know, I know, don't knock it till you've tried it! And this is one more thing for me to try while cruising, something that I might have never have attempted. Rock climbing, surfing, and ceramics all fall into that category as well!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Interesting. I think it will draw the younger crowd (20s - 30s) but certainly not me!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Wii is a whole body interactive game system for which a big video screen, like the type in the atrium of NCL Pearl, is perfect.

While I am too shy to play the game in public like that, I'll bet you it attracts an audience to the atrium when someone is playing it like moths to light.

I think it is going to work. Not the same elegance of the Milano Cove Cafe, but that isn't the mood on these new NCL ships anyway. They're "edgy"
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When the first lawsuit is filed, by a person, just walking by, who gets hit in the head with this game, they may realize this is not the best space for this game.

Many tvs have been ruined, as well as people getting clunked in the head when the enthusiastic player, sends the game flying off their wrist!

Atriums, should be a place for everyone to enjoy, not want to stay away from.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

[quote="Trip"]When the first lawsuit is filed, by a person, just walking by, who gets hit in the head with this game, they may realize this is not the best space for this game. [quote]

Thanks Lindas, I did not realize video games were such a hazard in the home

I have been hit with video cassette recorders, and toasters, but never a video game. I didn't know they could attack people like those appliances can!

No, I'm kidding. Wii is a virtual reality game where the person plays it by moving his body. They are no real weapons involved, except maybe hands, But mostly it is things like tennis, baseball, etc, where there are no real rackets or bats. Just the posture of the player.
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Admiral

When I first heard this idea, I, too, thought the atrium wasn't the place for it. I thought is should be kept in the kid's area. However, it could be entertaining to watch people "playing" this type of video game. I, personally, have a hard enough time just walking on a cruise ship.....I will not be taking part in the video games! .
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This game hangs from the wrist and enthusiastic gamers have hit all kinds of things as the game flies off the wrist! DUCK!

I believe the company has changed the design of the strap, to actually
stay ON the players wrist

Even, given that, the atrium is not the place for this...jmho

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Will it interfere with the frsibee games in the Atrium?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Admiral

I'm not interested in video games at all.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I believe it is a great addition to the video game options and with it being a more "active" game, more people will probably participate. I do believe that placing it in the atrium may have as much to do with advertising and marketing as it does with function and in time it may well find a new home on board the ship.

In regard to people being injured: I was hit by a flying ping pong paddle while I was on board the Millennium. BTW: It wasn't thrown by my wife.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Trust me, I have seen the big video screen on the Pearl, it is an entire wall, and you don't it that would work when you hear about it, but when you see it, and all the people standing around watching it, you see that it does. So watching people interact with it through Wii, much like Tom Cruise did with the computer in Minority Report, I am sure it will be a fun attraction, as much fun to watch as to do.
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Video Arcade Moves Into the Atrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid
NCL is in the process of outfitting all their ships with Nintendo's new Wii video game system. Ok, I admit, I don't have a clue what Nintendo's new video game system is, as my experience with video games first began, and pretty much ended, with PacMan.
I used to spend a mint playing PacMan! I loved it.

I think this move is a blatent attempt to increase onboard revenue by luring people to the game consoles in that high traffic area. Frankly, while I have no problem with Nintendo games on the ship, and do agree that they could be a nice money maker, putting them in such a high traffic area as the atrium is pushing it. It goes beyond bordering on tacky ... it IS tacky.

The atrium should represent the glamor side of the ship ... with a sweeping, dramatic design that lets as much light in as possible. People should be able to sit there in peace, admiring the scenary, people watching, or whatever. They shouldn't have to listen to the sound effects of a video game or watch its progress on large screen tv's.

I say NCL should set aside a nice area onboard the ship ... perhaps on the sports deck or one of the large lounges, and locate their Nintendo gaming systems there. It would be a far more appropriate venue.

Blue skies ...

--rita