Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Default You never know who you're talking to....

Every month for five years running now, I have provided equipment for an event known locally as MUDJ or the Montreal Underground DJ Battle. I have never stuck around for any of these events, until last month, when they ran VERY late, and I arrived to pick up only to find the event still blasting full bore. DJ Manspino was up against DJ Skratch Bastid. These guys were GOOD. I mean, really good. I've been talking to these guys (and others) for years, and they are humble. I guess it's because they are talking to a 43 year old who knows what he's talking about in the DJ department... Or just like that, who knows. Anyhow, Manspino had to get to the airport fast... why? because he was playing in front of 6000 people next night in Ibiza. Cool. And it turns out Bastid is touring this summer as on-stage DJ for the Tragically Hip. Cool also. DJ Quest is touring Europe and Australia presently, along with DJ Special K, who is stopping for a stint at the famed Ice Nightclub in Las Vegas on the way back. Local DJ Misstress Barbera plays raves the world over, at $20k a pop. She was a pimply-faced 13 year-old when she first played on my turntables... These local DJ's are (maybe) 20 years old. I also found out that rap stars and producers frequent this DJ Battle looking for talent. Producer Timbaland was present that night (I didn't spot him). Apparently this is a world-class event right under my nose. You never know who you are talking to.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: You never know who you're talking to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
Every month for five years running now, I have provided equipment for an event known locally as MUDJ or the Montreal Underground DJ Battle. I have never stuck around for any of these events, until last month, when they ran VERY late, and I arrived to pick up only to find the event still blasting full bore. DJ Manspino was up against DJ Skratch Bastid. These guys were GOOD. I mean, really good. I've been talking to these guys (and others) for years, and they are humble. I guess it's because they are talking to a 43 year old who knows what he's talking about in the DJ department... Or just like that, who knows. Anyhow, Manspino had to get to the airport fast... why? because he was playing in front of 6000 people next night in Ibiza. Cool. And it turns out Bastid is touring this summer as on-stage DJ for the Tragically Hip. Cool also. DJ Quest is touring Europe and Australia presently, along with DJ Special K, who is stopping for a stint at the famed Ice Nightclub in Las Vegas on the way back. Local DJ Misstress Barbera plays raves the world over, at $20k a pop. She was a pimply-faced 13 year-old when she first played on my turntables... These local DJ's are (maybe) 20 years old. I also found out that rap stars and producers frequent this DJ Battle looking for talent. Producer Timbaland was present that night (I didn't spot him). Apparently this is a world-class event right under my nose. You never know who you are talking to.
That's pretty cool. I think have heard of DJ Special K before. I live California and I just moved from the bay area so it was probably there.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Pretty Cool Cynic! I have heard of a few of those people, in the local papers.
Imagine a 20 yr old DJ making more money than most of us "oldsters".

donna