CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Lightning (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/331651-lightning.html)

RocHed11 April 13th, 2007 01:20 AM

Lightning

Hello All, I realize this is subjective, but my wife and I are considering our first Caribbien cruise after several Baja cruises. I would like to know if there is a good chance of seeing lightning at night in the distance?
Meaning: does the ship try to get as far away as possible from storms or just far enough away as not to be affected?
Thanks All,

T

Lisa April 13th, 2007 02:25 AM

T - usually at night the ship will try and maneuver around the storms but if you have a balcony cabin, there is always a good chance of catching some lightning in the distance on many nights. I loved to sit out on the balcony and just watch the storms in the distance with a glass of wine, winding down after a busy day and just chilling out!

mehawk April 13th, 2007 02:38 AM

I have never seen lightning while at sea.

MaryLou April 13th, 2007 07:28 AM

On our last cruise, we were treated to a wonderful "light" show in the distance. I believe the Captain would also avoid being right in the middle of a storm if he could avoid it.

Luanne Russo April 13th, 2007 09:08 AM

Yes, it is a very good possibility. Beautiful sight, but strange because most likely you will not be close enough to hear it.

LisaK April 13th, 2007 10:14 AM

lightning on the water is an amazing sight to behold. You will be far enough away to see it but not be in it. The captain will always take his ship out of harms way if at all possible. Its not just the flash you will see but the actual bolts of lightning

ready2gonow April 13th, 2007 10:49 AM

I also love watching lightning across the water, but have never seen it while on a cruise. :( Did manage to (accidentally) plan one cruise in conjunction with a huge meteor shower! Now that was cool! LOL

Luanne Russo April 13th, 2007 10:54 AM

WE were attending the Lido deck party last year on the Conquest. The light show, was so spectacular that most stopped dancing just to watch the lightning in the distance.

RocHed11 April 14th, 2007 01:15 AM

Thanks all, Hopefully we will get lucky.

T

Rev22:17 April 15th, 2007 12:54 AM

Re: Lightning

RocHed11,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Hello All, I realize this is subjective, but my wife and I are considering our first Caribbien cruise after several Baja cruises. I would like to know if there is a good chance of seeing lightning at night in the distance?
Meaning: does the ship try to get as far away as possible from storms or just far enough away as not to be affected?

It depends upon the storm. The reality is that ships get far enough away from storms to avoid being affected by rough seas whenever it's possible to do so. Nonetheless, neither rain nor lightening are any big deal for a cruise ship. The ship's construction is entirely metal (a conductor), so the ship essentially forms a ligntening cage in the same manner as an automobile or a metal railroad car. That is, the ship will conduct the electrical current around the passengers who are onboard. The ship's masts, also being metal, additionally act as lighening rods.

That said, it's a good precaution to "lay below" (go inside the ship) while your ship is going through a lightening storm. There could be some wierd aspect from which a lightening bolt would strike a passenger standing on any of the weather decks rather than the ship herself.

Norm.

JamesRT April 15th, 2007 11:34 AM

For a close up view,one can go to the highest point on the ship,hold up a copper rod and get a jolt! LOL LOL LOL

Luanne Russo April 15th, 2007 11:42 AM

LOL LOL LOL Use to the highest point was the funnel deck right?Back then you could do all that plus take your top off. LOL