Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Lightning

Hello All, I realize this is subjective, but my wife and I are considering our first Caribbien cruise after several Baja cruises. I would like to know if there is a good chance of seeing lightning at night in the distance?
Meaning: does the ship try to get as far away as possible from storms or just far enough away as not to be affected?
Thanks All,

T
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

T - usually at night the ship will try and maneuver around the storms but if you have a balcony cabin, there is always a good chance of catching some lightning in the distance on many nights. I loved to sit out on the balcony and just watch the storms in the distance with a glass of wine, winding down after a busy day and just chilling out!
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Admiral

I have never seen lightning while at sea.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise, we were treated to a wonderful "light" show in the distance. I believe the Captain would also avoid being right in the middle of a storm if he could avoid it.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Yes, it is a very good possibility. Beautiful sight, but strange because most likely you will not be close enough to hear it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

lightning on the water is an amazing sight to behold. You will be far enough away to see it but not be in it. The captain will always take his ship out of harms way if at all possible. Its not just the flash you will see but the actual bolts of lightning
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

I also love watching lightning across the water, but have never seen it while on a cruise. Did manage to (accidentally) plan one cruise in conjunction with a huge meteor shower! Now that was cool!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Admiral

WE were attending the Lido deck party last year on the Conquest. The light show, was so spectacular that most stopped dancing just to watch the lightning in the distance.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 14th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks all, Hopefully we will get lucky.

T
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Lightning

RocHed11,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello All, I realize this is subjective, but my wife and I are considering our first Caribbien cruise after several Baja cruises. I would like to know if there is a good chance of seeing lightning at night in the distance?
Meaning: does the ship try to get as far away as possible from storms or just far enough away as not to be affected?
It depends upon the storm. The reality is that ships get far enough away from storms to avoid being affected by rough seas whenever it's possible to do so. Nonetheless, neither rain nor lightening are any big deal for a cruise ship. The ship's construction is entirely metal (a conductor), so the ship essentially forms a ligntening cage in the same manner as an automobile or a metal railroad car. That is, the ship will conduct the electrical current around the passengers who are onboard. The ship's masts, also being metal, additionally act as lighening rods.

That said, it's a good precaution to "lay below" (go inside the ship) while your ship is going through a lightening storm. There could be some wierd aspect from which a lightening bolt would strike a passenger standing on any of the weather decks rather than the ship herself.

Norm.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

For a close up view,one can go to the highest point on the ship,hold up a copper rod and get a jolt!
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Use to the highest point was the funnel deck right?Back then you could do all that plus take your top off.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008