Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default MV Sea Diamond - Latest statement

The ship struck well-marked rocks, officials at Cypriot-based company that owned the ship said earlier this week.

``The incident was a result of human error - but so are 75 percent of all accidents at sea,'' said Giorgos Koubenis, a representative of Cypriot-based Louis Cruise Lines.

Do you agree with this? What is the last accident at sea you attribute to human error (the Princess listing is one), what is another one; the rogue wave? (no) the Star Princess fire (Yes, but by a passenger), the couple "falling off the ship?... what?

What kills me is the CYAS attitude of these officers, just like in Epirotiki Oceanus incident where the captain, who was among the first off, said, " I sounded the emergency alarm, if some people choose to stay that is up to them."

Some captain? (also Greek).

Plus they said the Black Box was Found.
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Admiral

I would like to think that most "accidents" are not human error.

Paul, you asked if the Sea Diamond had thrusters in the bow, yes it did. On the pictures or video of it going under, it shows the red bow above the water. You can see the cricles in the bow where the thrusters are.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Norwegian Sky: It came off autopilot in May of 2001, on Alaska cruise, causing hard turn to starboard. Seventy passengers were injured.

Norwegian Dream: Collides with Ever Decent in 1999 in English Channel: No injuries.

Norwegian Sky runs aground in the Saint Lawrence seaway: No injuries but missed two cruises for repairs to be made.

Norway boiler explodes while passengers disembarked. Eight engine room workers killed.

These are ones off the top of my head. Sorry they are all NCL but these stick in my mind. The Norwegian Sky autopilot error is special because we had just sailed on her a year before and the Norwegian Dream was Cruisemates first story.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

And I was scheduled to go on the following Norwegian Sky cruise after it hit the sand bar in the St Lawrence Seaway. I still have not done a New England/Canada cruise.