Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Husband asked me to plan a Hawaii cruise...help!

My dh asked me to lay out<and book> a cruise to Hawaii for next year when we reach our 25th wedding anniversary next March. Could someone here help me with tips on which cruise line etc? And yes we will be going alone!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Admiral

WOW!! Congrats... Half the fun is the planning...

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Sue, haven't done a Hawaiin cruise, yet, so I'm no help. But! Congratulations! Sounds like fun!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Cruise the ship Chuck just sailed on!
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I highly recommend doing one of a number of choices that sail to and from the US West coast. They're longer cruises.. 14 or 15 days mostly.. but much more enjoyable, and less flying time, than flying to Hawaii, sailing the islands, and flying back.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Admiral

If you don't have as much time as Kuki's suggestion requires, I would try one of NCL's Hawaii only ships. I've not read a lot of good things about Pride of Aloha, but maybe one of the other ships. What I like about the NCL Hawaii based ships is that you don't have to leave the country and then come back in. You can go from island to island and see more in one week. If I did Hawaii, I wouldn't be going for the ship, but for the islands. I would just think of the ship as my floating hotel. Of course you could always do RCL's Radiance class ship also.
Have fun planning.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Passenger

I just returned from Hawaii on NCL's Pride of Hawaii, March 26-April 2. I have two very strong suggestions. If you go with NCL, book your own airfare so that you will not be at the mercy of NCL's air. Their booking does not leave you enough time to really enjoy Honolulu. I suggest that if you do NCL's seven day itinerary, go to Honolulu two or three days early or plan to stay over after the cruise two or three days. The POH was a nice ship, but we were fortunate enough to have an upgrade to a Penthouse sweet which really made a wonderful week.

I personally am not a fan of freestyle cruising, but once you get the hang of it, it may work out for you. We enjoyed the speciality restaurants. If you book NCL, be sure to do your homework and plan your excursions before you go. Book a car at each port so you can truly see the islands. NCL's tour prices are ridiculously high. Also, NCL has limited activities on the ship and the entertainment if average.

If I go to Hawaii again, I am going to do the sail from some port to avoid the long flight. This way seems more romantic for an anniversary celebration.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Passenger

I meant we had a Penthouse suite. It was "sweet'.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
First Mate

DO NOT do an NCL Hawaii cruise!!!!!
Please,, go round trip LA, San Diego or do a repositioning from Vancouver to Honolulu.

The NCL cruises in Hawaii are NOT good. Please do your homework!!!!
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Admiral

We did the 14 day cruise from LA to Hawaii, and now I wish we had flown there and spent a bit of time on land before our cruise. It was my first trip to the islands, and I didn't feel that I really got to see as much of Hawaii as I would have liked.

Just my two centavos! Have a GREAT time!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I suggest Carnival Cruise Lines. Vancouver to Honolulu or San Diego to Honolulu. These are repositioning cruises for Carnival Spirit. Usually done in April and September. They were 12 days.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Those are some great tips for starters! I know we would never do NCL so thats out of the question. Carnival maybe but thats a big maybe. I like Kukis idea but ML is right I doubt we will have this much time. It depends if we make it to Kenya this year. I don't know zip about the islands so I do have some research ahead of me. I am wondering if a land cruise would make more sense? I know Papa Bill went on a few but I don't know if he is around? Maybe I can track him down. I am hoping to do some research all next week. Read reports, about ships etc. I do like the research! If you guys have any more ideas please let me know! Thanks for the input!
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Captain

I am always encouraging our patients to take cruises. I had a patient tell me that they were taking an NCL HI cruise. I told him I would be very interested to hear what he thought. I expressed my concern that with an all American crew the service would not be up to the standard that I am use to. With an all American crew they must also apply American work laws. Can you even imagine crew members from other lines working only 40 hours a week. I am a proud American, but unfortunately the majority of our younger work force are not the hard working, go out of your way, " I am sooo glad your here. What can I do to make your cruise most enjoyable" type of people".
When the patient came back he said it was just as I anticipated.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Admiral

A land cruise?? Wassat?? Maybe you paddle a kayak on land??

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I would NOT do a land tour of Hawaii. I did that the first time I went to Hawaii. We had 3 islands and we spent too much time packing and moving from hotel to hotel. 3 days of the trip wasted doing this. If I were going to do Hawaii again it waould absolutely be a cruise. Unpack once and let the ship take me to the different islands.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 15th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Laura,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I would NOT do a land tour of Hawaii. I did that the first time I went to Hawaii. We had 3 islands and we spent too much time packing and moving from hotel to hotel. 3 days of the trip wasted doing this. If I were going to do Hawaii again it waould absolutely be a cruise. Unpack once and let the ship take me to the different islands.
A lot of cruise lines offer that itinerary, but it has one fundamental problem -- a flight of six to eight hours between Honolulu and the continent. There is a better option. Several cruise lines now offer fourteen or fifteen night round trip itineraries that begin and end in either Los Angeles or San diego. A brief stop en Ensenada either coming or going is sufficient to make a "round trip" itinerary legal.

Norm.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

I have had not much time to look but if we would go it might be on the Radiance. However, when I looked at the prices I almost fainted. This one would go out Oct 2008. With us going on missions trips and experiencing the strong need in Kenya I have a very hard time spending this kind of money. I told my dh but he did not respond so i don't know what he was thinking. How can I justify such a lavish spending on myself? I don't know.

Anyway, a land cruise. I was thinking maybe going to 1 island and exploring the island from the hotel might not be a bad idea either. But I would think it's almost the same amount of money. Has anyone done the Radiance cruise to Hawaii?

Thanks for all the helpful advise btw..you guys are great!
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Wow, I have yet to plan a Hawaiian cruise, but it sounds like fun. As you plan it, tell us what you decide.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Hi~~I have done a the Hawaii cruise RT from San Diego with Holland America, and have a 2nd one planned for April 2008.
DH does not fly, so that's the only option for us. It is 4 sea days over and 4 sea days back, but if you plan activities, you won't get bored.
HAL has a wonderful cruise, and yes many passengers are older, but that doesn't bother us.
We cruise for the service and food, and HAL excells in those areas.
It is an expensive cruise but SO worth it.
Have fun !!

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the imput sassyredhat 8 sea days sounds like heaven to me !