Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Kindness goes a long way in this World

Food
(author IBCruzin')

The lady looked old. Old, not from age but from life. She arrived in this small town 5 months ago with two small children and full of hope. Now, on this hot July evening, she had lost all hope. There was no food at home -- no more money left to buy any food. A job, any job -- that is all she needed, she thought to herself. She had been walking the roads of this small town all day long. There were no jobs to be had. Out of desperation, the woman knew she had only one thing left she could do. She decided right there on the road that she would do whatever she had to do in order to get some money to buy some food. The thought of going home and telling the children not to think about food -- again -- was more than she could bear. God would just have to understand. As she walked along the road, she looked for potential "customers" in the passing cars. She walked and walked and walked - cars went by but did not stop. it seemed that no one was interested in this small "aged" woman walking down the road alone. She didn't know how to wave down a car. "Oh please, God, help me. How do I get a car to stop???" She thought.

Suddenly, along came a car, a funny little green car with loud music playing. As it came to a stop, the little worn lady, licked her lips and tried to smile. The young man in the car rolled his window down and asked "Miss, are you o.k.?" A little surprised, the lady answered weakly, "Yes, I am alright." The man looked at her some more and again asked her "Miss, are you sure you are o.k.?" The little worn lady looked him over, thinking "He looks safe enough. Must go to that college I saw up the road." With that thought, she mustered up all of her courage and said, "Yes, baby, I am fine. But what are you doing tonight." It was a sad attempt at being sexy. She knew she didn't look or sound like a prostitute but she was desperate.

The young man looked at her and said "I am on my way home. But, why are you out here like this. This is a lonely road and no one comes down here. What makes you walk this road tonight."

The woman blurted out "I am here trying to get some money." He looked at her hard now, with a disapproving expression. "I have two kids." She continued quickly. "There is no food at home and I have no job. I have been looking for work all day with no luck and now, it is night and I can't go home without some food for my kids."

The young man in the car looked at her in shock and said "You are kidding!!! Are you lying to me?" She shook her head hard and say "No." He asked. "You would sell me your body to get food for your kids?" Sadly the woman nodded her head and said "yes, sir, I would."

At this, the young man said, "I will make a deal with you. If I give you some food and $10, will you go home to your kids and not come back out here?"

The little tired lady said a weak "yes, I would."

"O.K., get in the car" said the young fella. She got into the car. He drove for a while down some dark lonely roads. Just as the little lady was about to get very nervous, he pulled into one of the student apartment complexes that surrounds the local university. He told her, "wait here - I will be right back."

When the young guy returned in about 10 minutes, it looked like he had been to a supermarket. He had many, many bags of groceries. It was more food than she and her kids had seen since coming to this town. He didn't say much, just asked for directions to her home. He drove the little tired lady and her groceries home. After he had helped her unload her bags, he looked in his wallet. He had a ten dollar bill and 2 ones. He gave the lady the ten dollar bill and bid her good night and good luck.

What is the point to this story, you ask? Well the point is that when you are at your lowest, God will always send an angel to help you. Just look up the road, help is on the way.

By the way, this is a true story. That woman's angel that night was my son, Eddie. While the woman waited in his car, Eddie went into his apartment and divided his food up, giving her most of it and keeping a little for himself. This happened in Carrollton, GA about 2 weeks ago.

Where did all the food come from? Well Eddie received a one-time allotment of food stamps the month before when he was unemployed and a full-time student. Right after that he got a job at Applebees as a cook and was able to eat all of his meals at work. Therefore all of the food that he purchased with the food stamps was just sitting in his refrigerator and cupboard waiting for someone to eat it.

. . . . And along came the little worn lady who only needed some food.

Now, tell me - who is better blessed? The one that receives the gift or the one that is wise enough to know he has plenty to share???

True story.

P.S. The lady and her kids probably dined on shrimp and steak that night.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Admiral

I have been the on the receiving end of things (not monetary -- thank goodness -- but in other important ways) and I have been able to be the giver. Being the receiver is very humbling and being the giver and a true blessing.

Sounds like you have done a wonderful job raising your son! Congratulations.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Admiral

This story is 3 years old. I put this up, not for me to get any glory (I don't deserve any).

I posted this so that, in this time of horrible, horrible stories about how badly humans can treat each other, we can be reminded that if we were to give away just what we don't need or want, we can make a difference perhaps to someone.

Or even just a kind word. . . . . .

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

It is good to be reminded of the good in people. Thank you for sharing your story, again. It is worth it!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I needed that. Thank you for sharing.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Captain

What a blessing you have in your son. Wonder where he learned to show all that love and compasion
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Admiral

The problem is....

There are SO MANY of those guys (you know them... everybody does) who tap on your window in the parking lot and ask for $10 for gas.... swearing to GOD they are not trying to scam you. But they are.

And what really sucks is... it works half the time.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Admiral

That is a hard question - who is more blessed, the one who gives, or the one who receives. I love to be able to do for others, but when your need is desperate, and it seems that there is no hope and an answer is provided - then how can that be more well received.

We have all heard it is more blessed to give than recieve. The scripture supports that as well. But as I look at it more closely - I feel like the the blessor and the blessee are two parts, and that together they make a whole. I think they both recieve equally from it - tho in different ways.

There is no greater joy than raising a child to have compassion and empathy for others.

Job well done - as they say the apple usually doesnt' fall far from the tree.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
The problem is....

There are SO MANY of those guys (you know them... everybody does) who tap on your window in the parking lot and ask for $10 for gas.... swearing to GOD they are not trying to scam you. But they are.

And what really sucks is... it works half the time.
I think most people that need help but won't "ask" for a handout are the ones that are not looking to scam you.

In this story, the lady never "asked" for anything. As horrible as it was, she was willing to "work" for money for food.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes