Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: What do you think of this lawsuit?
The family is right - Royal Caribbean is fully responsible 0 0%
The young man is fully responsible - sad, but no fault of Royal Caribbean 62 79.49%
Royal is not at fault, but it would be a good idea to put more security measures in place 16 20.51%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM
First Mate

I can't fault the cruiseline on this one, even though the ship is responsible for the safety of the passegers and crew it can't "babysit" someone who cannot hold their liquor.

When I go on a cruise I plan to have fun, but I also constantly protect my well being such as not doing any thing that would endanger my life and limb. The gentleman that lost his life should have known that drinking heavily would impair his judgement and do things he wouldn't normally do if he was sober. He took the risk and now paid for it with his life.
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Beetlegator,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I can't fault the cruiseline on this one, even though the ship is responsible for the safety of the passegers and crew it can't "babysit" someone who cannot hold their liquor.
The ship is responsible only for maintaining a safe environment onboard and for the proper navigation of the vessel. Beyond that, passengers are responsible for their own safety.

Norm.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't even think this is even a tragedy. Some idiot drinks himself into a zombie like stupor and falls over the side. The ONLY fault is the idiot. Bars, bar tenders, restaurants etc. etc. etc. may need to cut off a stupid drunk, but all responsibility should end there. If the cruise ship wants to have a drunk squad on the look out for idiots, ok, but I don't think it is the responsibility of the cruise industry to do so.

I wonder how many stupid drunks would sue if they were rounded up by a drunk squad and 'forced' to return to thier room?
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Familiar Face

1. We all need to show some responsibility, and not throw all caution to the wind.

2. His family knew he smuggled liquer onboard so they sould have cautioned him when they saw he was drinking too much.

3. I also think it would be a good idea for the cruiselines to use some type of breathalizer at the bars, just for those that spoil the fun for the rest of us.

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of The Seas -2004
Carnival - Fantasy 11-13-06
Carnival Conquest 10-05-08
Celebrity Equinox 4/01/2011

Read and post cruise reviews

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.
NEVER BE THE FIRST TO GROW OLD !!!
LIFE IS A GIFT...UNWRAP IT
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral

It's an amazing thing to me that childern never fall off cruise ships. It is always a drunk 20 or 30 year old. So the means there is nothing wrong with the railings. Just with people thinking they need to get fall down drunk in order to have fun on a cruise ship. I picked option three, but only because they should review the tapes regularly to be certain someone hasn't fallen overboard. The cruiseline is not at fault for this man drinking. the bar cut him off and he found another bar that would serve him. If the cruise line flagged his card he would have found a way to get more booze.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994