Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise Ship Being Evacuated in Alaska

According to CNN, "the cruise ship Empress of the North is taking on water off the Alaska coast and more than 200 people are being evacuated in lifeboats."

Here is a picture of the ship.

This is not the first time that the Empress of the North has run aground; it happened a few years ago in the Columbia River.

An update from CNN:

Quote:
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) -- A cruise ship ran aground off the Alaska coast early Monday, and more than 200 passengers were being transferred to life boats and other vessels, Coast Guard officials said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

The 299-foot Empress of the North, carrying 281 people, was listing by about 6 degrees after hitting Hanus Rock at the southern end of the Icy Strait southwest of Juneau, said Petty Officer Christopher D. McLaughlin at the Coast Guard base in Kodiak.

A Coast Guard fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter were dispatched after an emergency radio message was received at 12:35 a.m. from the ship, operated by Majestic America Line of Seattle, McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin said the reason for the grounding was unclear, but he said the ship was not believed to be taking on water.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Admiral

According to the Houston Chronicle...

Alaska Cruise Ship hits rock, runs around!

"Many Good Samaritan boats on scene are taking off passengers," McLaughlin said.

It wasn't immediately clear why the cruise ship ran around, he said.

Comments on the story...

"Alaska cruise ship hits rock, runs around". Sometimes a Chronicle headline really makes my day. This is even better than the classic "Officer shoots man with fake gun".

The Chronicle has been atrocious in its news coverage, opinions and print since the Houston Post closed its doors a decade ago.

For those who didn't see it, the the news story stated that the ship (ship?) ran AROUND in Alaska.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Luckily, there appear to be no injuries and all passengers were able to get off the ship with incident. I am sure we will be reading much more about this story in the days to come.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm glad that no one was injured. The paddle wheeled steamboat, Empress of the North, cruises the inside passage for Majestic Lines of Seattle.

If you get right down to it, it is a cruise ship and is covered by all U.S. Coast Guard and SOLAS regulations. There will be an investigation and we'll find out the whole story but the lack of injuries and the fact the ship didn't sink did show that some things were done right.

There are numerous vessels that travel the Alaskan Marine Highway for commercial, tourism and commerce.

I am looking forward to hearing from the passengers on this one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me