Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Disturbing

My auto insurance is expiring in a few days so I go out to find some quotes. I was talking to one giving her a my facts then she asked for my birthday. I told her 1-30-1920. Then she said O I am so sorry we do not insure persons over 75.

Now what do you think of that? I told her all the necessary facts and then she asked for the BD. I told her why didn't she asked that up front. I just hung up. My thoughts are IMHO that is discrimation. Well anyway I am keeping my present insurance. They have the best price anyway.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Well Ray, I know I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes. But you know how it is... one bad apple has to spoil it for everyone else.

Basically you can blame my parents. They have no business being on the road. Two very scary senior drivers with a bad case of road rage. I swear my mom is probably going to get shot one day because she keeps letting all of the other drivers know they're number one...she just uses the wrong finger, if you know what I mean. Truly, my parents are the reason Senior Citizen's can't get auto insurance.
I'd report the company to AARP and see if they'll go and lobby to change their policies. I think my parents are insured through Good Sam's Club...obviously they'll insure anyone lol!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Beenie,
Why in heaven's name do they continue to drive then? Don't you feel like you should do something about your parents driving if they're not really road worthy? It's a hard thing to do (speaking from experience) but then again it would be worse if they killed someone.
Angela Z.
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Ray, how about insuring with USAA.
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Angela, you obviously haven't got to know me too well here on Cruisemates. Many of my posts are a bit tongue in cheek and meant more for their (hopefully) entertainment value than true edification. However, Angela I'll be more than glad to forward you their name and address and you see what kind of impact you have convincing them they shouldn't drive. Good luck to you! Seriously, its like talking to a wall, a wall that swears like a sailor if you're talking to my Mom.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Beenie, it is a real shame that your parents are that way when they drive and I hope they aren't as bad as you tongue in cheeked about.
Please let your parents know that "Road Rage" is just the same as a virus, it is really easy to pass on and affects so many people after the initial infection.

Ray it is a good idea to stick with your original comp. as they know you but the others don't.[/i]

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Admiral

Road rage... not a good thing...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Beenie, I think your Mother must be related to my lately departed Aunt. When she was in the nursing home the following note was found on her chart. "This woman should have been retired to an old sailors home, she swears a lot".

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Ray,

How discouraging. I'm sure there must be some companies out there that do insure seniors. Maybe you just have to retake the drivers test or something to get requalified. I hope you find some solutions soon.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I am one who has always advocated the renewal price of a drivers license should be doubled and everyone should be REQUIRED to take a road test, every eight years, in order to renew their license. This would increase to four years at age 50.

The added cost would cover the cost of facilities and personnel required for increased numbers of people taking the road test.

If you pass the road test then you are insurable at any age. Simple enough.

There are unsafe drivers at all ages and those that are unsafe need to be pulled out of the system before law enforcement, doctors or a tragic accident forces them out of it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Admiral

The same is to say about young people driving. They do get insurance but the cost is very high. The laws just need to be stricter to have them tested better. Oh well, until than we will see accidents.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Beenie,
I guess that's one of the unfortunate things about cyber communication....it's hard to know the tone sometimes.
Angela Z.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to caroledd Send a message via MSN to caroledd Send a message via Yahoo to caroledd

Insurance is ridiculous. After many years of dry feet (no cruising by my choice), I decided to give in to a 20 year dream and go to Antarctica. In one day I found my ship, the Azamara Journey, part of the Celebrity fleet, and was booked and under deposit. Then I asked the booking agent the price of trip insurance. Because of my age (nyob), I was quoted $756! I gulped and paid it. What else was there to do. I'd already checked other trip insurance policies and they were all about the same for that particular cruise. Evidently, if they need to evacuate you out of Antarctica it's by private charter flight. The health portion of the insurance covers $300,000 worth of everything. The personal items part is a measly $50,000. I don't think I own $50,000 worth of stuff if you except my apartment and I'm not taking that with me.

Carole
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to hear that Ray. It does sound discriminatory if you ask me.

My parents are 72 and are in excellent physical health. Heck, my dad could still whip my butt if wanted and I'm a young, sprite 42 years... lol

Sure there are some people that probably shouldn't be driving, but I think Mike hit the nail on the head... if you can pass the drivers test, there should be no age limit on who can drive or be insured.

Insurance.... ugh!
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

One thing to consider:

Many elderly are on drugs that CAN affect their driving skills and decision making. Some even taking multiple drugs that interact with each other increasing the potency in their system. THIS fact should also be a consideration before issuing a driver’s license.

Many don’t consider physician prescribed drugs an issue...but it should be.