Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Things can get "Kuki" in Israel too

Today was spent on a tour around the Sea of Galilee, with Mrs. Kuki’s sister Esther and her husband Danny.

We stopped in the village of Safed (pronounced Zfat) is a hillside village, which has become an artist’s village. It was a holiday in Israel today, so many of the local shops in the village were closed, but the art galleries here were open.

As we strolled through the village looking in galleries (many with the artists present to talk to) we came across an 80 yr. old gentleman, Marco Karol. We chatted, and he explained that he had come to Israel and Zfat in 1948, and that he owned many of the little galleries on the street we were on (so he was the landlord), and he had a small shop selling drinks and ice cream. Though the shop was closed for the holiday he offered to open it for us, if we’d like a drink.

He was so pleasant, we took him up on his offer. Not only did he open the shop, he insisted we come in, and sit down and visit.

He regaled us with stories of his past, and the history of the village, showing us magazine articles about him, and how he is “the man? of Zfat; and how artists who could not pay their rent paid him in artwork --- which was obvious from the clutter of art in his tiny shop. He also told some great dirty jokes.
One I can share with you here….
He was visiting a friend in Tel Aviv who owned a movie theater, and the friend was short a security guard for a few days, so he volunteered to help out for a few days. (Before anyone is allowed into movie theaters in Israel, security checks any bags, and pat people down). He said each night he worked as security, the same little 80 year old lady came to the theater. On the 4th straight night, he said.. Lady it’s the same movie you’ve seen the last 3 nights. She said… Oh I don’t come for the movie, I come for the pat down. Marco is quite the character and he made our visit to this little hillside village fun and special.

Driving along today we came within two kilometers of Janin, the infamous Palestinian refugee camp, where many homicide bombers came to Israel from during the previous “Intifada?, which gave one an eery feeling.

More pics from today can be found in the Personal Photo Galleries... if you're interested.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Admiral

I have always wanted to tour Israel - sounds like it has been a good experience for you so far.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Kuki, it is the interesting people, that cross your path, that truly make a particular trip interesting. Marco sounds like the kind of person I would love to sit and visit with.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Admiral

This has to be a dream vacation for you and Geela. I loved the photos and your account from the days adventures.

Phyll
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Wow, what a great trip you are having. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old May 24th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A couple of new stories to tell... To set up the first one...
In 1999, on a cruise stop in San Juan Puerto Rico, Mrs K and I stumbled across a jewelry store called Josef Mancini, where I purchased a silver and gold pendant (for myself), made by an Israeli artisit by the name of Frank Meisler.

On our first full day in Israel, on Tues, Mrs Kuki and I had walked to "the old city" of Jaffa, and came across a gallery featuring the work of the same Frank Meisler. In discussion with the gallery owner, I showed off the pendant I'd bought in San Juan. She said it was very dirty and I should take it off and give it to her to clean. She took it to the goldsmiths in the back of the shop, and the guy came out and gave me "heck" for what I'd done to this piece. Apparently I wasn't supposed to be showering with it, and cooking in it, etc. without taking care of it. It was made up of several pieces, put together, and he had it all appart in his hands. They said they could fix it. Today the shop called that the pendant was ready, so we stopped by to pick it up. I hadn't asked how much it was going to cost, but found out when I went to the shop for pick up. There was NO charge. It was a Meisler "work" and they wanted it to look good and survive forever. It now looks like new

Earlier in the day, we had gone to Jerusalem to visit the "Western Wall" and the old city. One shop owner got Mrs Kuki into his shop, and blocked her exit for about 5 minutes for her to buy something. I was standing outside ROFLMAO for a few minutes before I rescured her.

**edited because this part seems to have disappeared**
< After the old city we visited the Holocaust Museum" (Yad Vashem)>>

Through a combination of writings, recovered personal items, pictures and films the museum dramatically tells the story of the Holocaust. I am not a religious person, but when I exited this place that words simply can't describe adequately, I just made it to the exit before I broke down in tears.
I don't know how any person, of any religious persuasion, could get through this place without their heart strings being pulled taught by the inhumanity displayed inside.

The final room in the museum is a circular, high roofed cone shape filled with the thousands and thousands of the German booking keep books (they were miticulous in their reporting) filled with the names of millions of people they had in camps and who they had put to death. The books are surrounded by walls of the photos of many of their victims.

No picture taking is allowed inside, but I have posted a few other pics in the personal galleries.
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Kuki - that is an amazing story. Now that is a real warranty on a product.

The shop photo is so colorful. I love those little lambs that are hanging over the shofars.

I'm sure that museum visit was very moving - a part of history that should never be forgotten, never be repeated.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm enjoying the virtual tour so very, very much
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Default Islands you don't need to take tours

O will be on May 31 Jewel sailing and have prebooked several excursions. I would like to know what islands you feel that dock near interesting places that you don't need to book excursions.
Also - can you buy wine or liquors on the piers at any of the ports visited?