Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Default Good Heavens, Paul

Letter to the editor:

I just read the first three quarters of part one of your "Cruise Ships Under Attack" novella. At roughly that point I began to glaze over and think to myself, "Hasn't he made that point already?" You're obviously upset about this issue, and that's fine, but I can't resist a few friendly notes.

You're advocating journalistic integrity, and yet you entitle your articles "Cruise Ships Under Attack." Would a more descriptive and responsible title not have been "Cruising Under Attack?" I think so.

To make matters worse, you marry each article to a photo of a ship in distress: one on fire, and one heeled over. A reader might be forgiven for thinking these articles are about rampant terrorism upon the high seas. You are perpetrating exactly the sort of tabloid-like muck that you rightly criticize. You don't help your cause by doing that. Not one little bit.

Finally, I believe that every writer needs a good editor. And I believe that every writer with a big fire in his or her belly REALLY needs a good editor. I've known and worked with lots of good editors, and Paul, you need one. Give him or her a very big and very sharp blue pencil along with a promise of editorial immunity. The points you make are fine, but they'd be much more powerful if they were stated concisely.
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

AR,

You are being kind of rough with Paul. He was, I am sure, writing so that everyone could understand.

Paul,

YOU SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME, WITH THE TITLE AND PICTURES!! What were you thinking??? Hubby has a friend at work, who wants to cruise like we do. I told her about the site. Told her to look around, and then we would talk. She saw the pictures and changed her mind about cruising. She asked me how we stayed on the ship, with it tipped over like that? I didn't know what she was talking about. When I came on here to look, all I could do was laugh. I guess we just hold on.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:13 AM
Admiral

What got Paul into such a tizzy?!

I'm not as well-read as I should be, but I haven't noticed a sudden rash of cruise bashing by the media. Besides, what would be the point? Wouldn't it be more profitable to report on the latest celebrity escapades?

Anyway, they were interesting articles, if a touch locquacious.

Dean
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry!...

Quote:
You are perpetrating exactly the sort of tabloid-like muck that you rightly criticize.
That was exactly what I was doing. I got your attention, didn't I? Actually, I figure most of our readers are as close to the industry as I am, and many of them have seen the bashing and they will "get it."

The fact is that there have been several VERY VERY sensationalistic reports in the news media lately about "cruise ship victims" and while I knew it would shock people, that was my point. I think if you saw the same media reports I did you would also be amazed.

Did you see this one (I listed it in the cruise news area)

Going on a cruise? Not me!
http://www.tripso.com/2007/05/nocruise.php

FoxNews did a whole piece on "cruise victims" that was like it was directed by a slasher film director - wicked music, etc... one-sided stories.

This article is set to appear on MSNBC very soon. It is so full of sensationalism, that the only way to reprsent how bad it s is to do what I did. By the way - feel free to write that web site and tell them how awful you think that article is.

As for the editor - we have one, but I needed to get this article done in short order and had no time to send it to him. I know there were a few writing issues, but I had a chance to go back and fix them after awhile.

If you found it boring, it is because you haven't seen the same attacks on the industry I have seen lately. They are relentless, and over the tops as well.
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - here is another link to the outrageous interviews I am so worked up about.

In the first one a friend of mine, Anita Potter, gor skewered by a CNBC interviewer on the air.

The interviewer only told Anita the topic was the Empress grounding in Alaska, and possibly Norovirus. The first thing she gets confronted with is "sexual assault" on cruise ships. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6891010/

And here is another one from Fox news:

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/H...Y&pageId=1.1.1
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Familiar Face

Has anyone pointed out the the Star Princess fire was in 2006, not 2005?
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, that is true, I just noticed that myself.

Did you look at those reports, however? First, Kendall Carver is asked, "Kendall, your own daughter went missing on a cruise ship, isn't that right?" Yes - she committed suicide, but that is never mentioned.

The Fox News video starts out with "[victim] was sexually assaulted in a cruise ship ladies room." but what isn't mentioned is the full story behind it. She had just been judging a men's "sexy legs contest" where contestants basically get lapdances from men on the ships. Right after she went into a restroom where on of the contestants followed her (OK, thst IS wrong) and he asks for a picture which she agrees to. When his friends takes the picture he grabs between her legs outside her pants and yells "booty call."

OK - despicable behavior, but al lthe reporter says is ""Victim was sexually assaulted in cruise ship ladies room." She was sexualy victimized, yes, but certainly not raped.

Anyway - watch the videos and read the article, it explains it all.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Paul,
Thank You!
Keep up the good work,it's time those that enjoy cruising stand up and be counted.
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Take a deep breath, Paul.

I never thought I'd say that Fox News got something right, but what you describe in your last post was, indeed, a sexual assault. All rapes are sexual assaults, but not all sexual assaults are rapes. A quick look at Wikipedia tells us, "Sexual assault is any physical contact of a sexual nature without voluntary consent." As you describe what happened, it sounds like it fits the definition.

Don't overplay your hand.

And yes, Paul, you did get my attention with your sensational headlines and irrelevant photos, but you quickly lost my attention when I realized that you were just on a rant. You don't ultimately gain credibility by modeling bad behavior--in this case the bad behavior of the tabloid press and broadcasters.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Maybe Wikipedia says that, but the FBI has six different definitions of sexual crimes, and sexual assault by their definition is something more egregious. The touching of flesh (in the places normally covered up on television for example) is a requirement.

Seriously, though. I am NOT going to start this conversation here, I researched this for three weeks before I wrote it. (though I had to write somewhat quickly at the last minute). if you want to see all of this go to the sites I mentioned, especially Tripso. It has all been hashed out there.

This is my last word here where any kind of "debate" is concerned. Been through hell & back already.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Default Paul, here's an article that is GOOD for cruising.

An article by Anita Potter

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18926867/

I thought she did an excellent job countering the negatives.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014