Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Default Chicago

Hello all. We just returned from a weekend in Chicago. We went for a wedding. What a great town! I certainly see why so many young folks flock there to live and work. We stayed at the Belden Stratford..WOW! What a great place and location. It is directly across from the Lincoln Park Zoo. We had a wonderful corner apartment with great views of Lake Michigan and Downtown Chicago. The wedding was absolutely beautiful. Chicago has so much to offer, I wish we had more time to spend there!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Default Chicago

For a sec, I thought you were talking about the rock group! Anyway, it sounds like you had a nifty weekend. Will yhou be on Chat Monday night?

Judy
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Admiral

having live there for 2 years, I suggest you try visiting in January (VBG)
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Judy:
I love the group Chicago! I, most likely, will not be in chat.....I will either still be working (which I hope not) or sleeping! They are the two things I do most these days!
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I have to agree with Venice. I live 90 miles north of Chicago (better known as Milwaukee) and there is no place better than this area of the country in the late spring, summer and fall..................rest of the time I would give anything to be somewhere else!!!! Winds off the lake....BRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Snow, ice, sleet, etc. Ick!
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

This isn't my first trip to ChiTown. I did visit for 10 days in January about 25 years ago. The temp with the windchill was 60 below zero the entire time.....it was unbelievably cold! I wouldn't want to live there, but it really is a great place to visit in the summer!!!!!!
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I agree but would suggest that the spring and fall are the best but they have great outdoor festivals in the summer (taste of chicago, blues festival, huge smooth jazz festival) and of course going to a Cubs game in the middle of the week
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Jake and I love to go down to Chicago. It really is a great city with tons to do.

I'm glad to hear that you got away for a little while and had a great time, ML.

Phyll
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Familiar Face

Venice, you just made me incredibly homesick. The summer festivals are outstanding and have amazingly low crime (well, back when I lived there anyway). What's better than having miles of food booths and then topping it off with a free Stevie Wonder or BB King concert (ok, they were free in the good ole days -- don't know about now). I feel like I'm talking myself into making a quick trip home this summer.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Admiral

click your heels 3 times and repeat after me...there is no place like home (except in the winter)
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Admiral

I would be afraid of being blown away.... when the city has handrails at street corners to hang on to, that tells me alot.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Mary Lou:

I do enjoy Chicago and have been there quite a few times in the last couple of years. Usually it's to visit the Mad Doctor at Northwestern. We usually go in a couple of days early and enjoy some of the city. We've done all the touristy stuff, such as Lake Michigan cruises and the Chicago River cruise, dinner at Morton's, Chicago style pizza, the museums of Science and Industry and Shed's Aquarium. It is a fun place to go for a few days but I don't think I would enjoy living in the Loop Area.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

I spent my college years there at Northwestern, and I still love the place, although four winters there really do make you understand the meaning of cold. Even back in my day, there was a lot of argument about where the term "Windy City" came from. There are at least three explanations, only one of which involves actual wind. The other two concern the bombastic statements of the city fathers as they were trying to win the bid for the world's fair, and the general windiness of the politicians there.

In any event, Chicago is still one of my adopted homes, and I always feel wonderful when I return. Summer before last, Kevin and I flew out there just to go to a Cubs game. Going back in August for a few days to hook up with some of the old college gang and hit some of the old watering holes (oh, wait, that can't be right. Surely I didn't drink in college). The new Millennium Park is great, and I hope to get back to Second City--the late night weekend shows there make me laugh about as hard as I ever laugh. They're in such bad taste, and they're soooo funny. A real guilty pleasure. Like New York and London, I know the subway/"el" system pretty much by heart, so getting around is easy and fast, and it's always a joy to go exploring.
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Admiral

It's nice to see and read from so many people how much they like Chicago. Those of us that grew up and still live here (or now live out in the suburbs as I do) are often oblivious to some of the great things we have here in Chicago.

We have to live with the "not-so-great" things associated with Chicago and Illinois; the freezing cold of January along with the heat and humidity of August, the incredible political corruption at ALL levels and from BOTH political parties, the traffic and constant road construction, highest gas prices in the nation, highest housing prices in the nation and I could go on and on!

But at the same time, we also have some of the greatest museums, zoos, theaters, beaches at the lake front, great watering holes, great Universities and again I could go on and on.

So, as I read my morning newspaper today and read all about the latest round of corruption indictments, street crime and yet another major Illinois expressway needing to be closed and repaved, thanks for reminding me of some of the good things the visitors to our city see.

By the way, I can tell you from experience, that the term "Windy City" is ALL about the wind we get from the politicians here!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13