Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Move Along Now!

Acording to the front page on AOL..the 5 most poluar places for Boomers to relocate are...Panama City Panama, Malta, New Zealand, Uruguay, and Mexico.

Would you ever consider leaving your home country to relocate? I know a chatter who will be moving to New Zealand in a year or two.

I once saw a segment on tv, with ex pats from California, who moved across the border to Mexico, and are living the life, they couldn't, just a short hop away. They are living on the beach, in beautiful homes, and seemed quite happy..On the show Househunters on HGTV, they often show people, giving it all up to move to the Caribbean, and they are very happy they made the move.

Would ya, could ya???

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Nope... I've lived in a foriegn country for 9 years. While I did like it there, it was not home. USA is my home.. its where I want to be. Some countries come close (Canada, UK) but no where else do I have the freedoms that have been fought so hard for then I have right here. I can speak my mind, work, go to the grocery store and KNOW they will have what I want..... I haven't seen all of the natural beauty that this country has to offer just yet.. but I'm trying....

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Funny you should ask....we're seriously considering it.

My husband is retiring in 5 years, and with the cost of living so HIGH here in California, we might not have a choice. But we're comparing the cost of living in another States as a first option.

Of course we would choose carefully...not everything is equal...there’s checks and balances no matter where we decide to move. Right now, we love our home and the area we live in, so it will be quite the adjustment!

We have dear friends who after much consideration and investigation decided to retire to Mexico. They bought a lovely condo and live in a very very nice gated community. During the Mexican summer, when it’s extremely hot, they rent a condo for those couple of months in a cooler area of Mexico. NO they’re not rich by any means, but the prices are sooooooo low in comparison, and their $ goes further, so they can easily afford to do this.

Another couple we thought we knew well...surprised us by selling everything they owned and moved to Australia. This was after several years of planning. They’re so very happy with the change.

It wasn’t a breeze for either couple...and they’ve been very frank with letting us know the small and major adjustments they've had to make...but for them the overall cost was right. They're enjoying a much better standard and quality of life in those countries for the $ than they could have here.

Now is this for my husband and I? We really haven’t decided yet...but what we do know is, we won’t be able to continue living in California at this rate. Even some parts of Oregon are slowly getting out of our financial reach.

We love California, most of our friends and family live here...BUT when my husband retires we have plans and they don’t included spending the end years of our lives struggling to barely keep our heads above water. If we can’t find viable options here in the States...we are considering retirement in another part of the world.

BUT I agree with Dina! There's no place like home...we'd hate to HAVE to move.
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Well, considering I cannot even get my hubby to leave the house he grew up in, I don't think moving to a foreign country is in my future, .
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default Move Along Now

Timing is everything: age, health, economics. California is VERY expensive. We should consider relocating for that reason, as well. But it's a very difficult decision to make. Also being fluent in the new country's language is no minor thing.

Judy
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

When I was married to my first husband and back in the 70's.
We live and worked in San José Cost Rica. It was very a very good life. The children went to school all year round. My children spoke and learned spanish & went to school.
To this day, they think it was been a wonderful learning experience.
I liked it there. To live there today, I would not. The world has changed and so has Costa Rica.
I like where we live now, Florida, my home and my good life.
God bless America
Carole
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I could never move that far away, but I have seen those "House Hunter" shows on HGTV. All very interesting and moving to a different way of life. One couple moved their whole family, kids and all to Costa Rica....just couldn't do it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Yeoman

Nope, I'm a bred and born American, I lived my first 13 years in upstate NY and the rest in the south. I would like to visit these countries but as far as living there, no thanks. Right now, I have enough to keep me very happy....a home in FL (same one my family lived in since 1959) and a mini farm in the mountains of NC.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

On our last visit to Maui...we had a local guide for our horseback riding tour. He had been born and raised in Maui and has NEVER left the island...not even to visit the other islands! And what's more...he doesn't intend too! We couldn't believe it. Maui is so small, but to him, it was his whole world. He couldn't imagine leaving or living any where else.

His comment was, "I'm happy here...got everything I need...why leave?

Well...I guess, that's one way of looking at it. But he is missing out on a lot of adventure. It's not like when you leave this planet, you get a return ticket!!!!
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Nope... I've lived in a foriegn country for 9 years. While I did like it there, it was not home. USA is my home.. its where I want to be. Some countries come close (Canada, UK) but no where else do I have the freedoms that have been fought so hard for then I have right here. I can speak my mind, work, go to the grocery store and KNOW they will have what I want..... I haven't seen all of the natural beauty that this country has to offer just yet.. but I'm trying....
I am glad you clarified this. I thought, for a brief moment, that your living in the USA meant you were in a foreign country.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I just moved to Florida. For me that is as "foreign" as I want to get. Born and raised in the good old USA that is where I want to stay.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

thought provoking - the adventurer in me says sure let's go but heck we were going to move 4 years ago to Boulder NV after being in FLA for most of our lives and chickened out; because both of our families are here. So treking to a foreign country - I don't think I could do it in the long run. But Costa Rica has been discussed recently in our household..... and Austrialia...

However, I have my eye on a beauuuutiful houseboat parked in Lake Mead for retirement we can dream can't we.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Admiral

I tried to move to Ozzy in my younger days but hated it.
It was to big and full of "Australians" funnily enough.

Got home sick for "Clean (mostly) and Green NZ".

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

No!!! Oz???.......full of Austrailians???.................Who would ever guess??

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old June 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Admiral

Teeheee...

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Admiral

I guess I did the big move..to the United States from germany! That was over 23 years ago and I still miss my home town so much. Its a big adjustment and still to this date I am adjusting. There are pros and cons and I wish now we would have stayed in germany when we were young. But now we have almost grown kids, grandkids so I would not move far from them< soemtimes I feel like it >
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Everyone has said California is expensive I think that is a reason to stay here. If I move and I don't like it I may not be able to move back. I grew up in California at this moment I have no desire to leave it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Passenger

I was born in Connecticut and grew up in Louisiana and can not imagine leaving the United States to finish the rest of my life here on earth. Hopefully I won't be leaving for a long time since I am only 58 years old.

It doesn't matter how inexpensive living expenses are outside of the United States, one of the things we have to consider is the quality of the health care system in a foreign country. And speaking from knowledge, doctors in other countries especially in Mexico and all countries below, do not have to be licensed or even have a valid medical degree to open up a medical practice.

I have only been on two cruises with two more coming up January 13, 2008, and February 26, 2009, and the pride I feel when I see that American Flag flying over the ports that I am coming into gives me a feeling of pride that I can not begin to describe.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know a lot of people talk about going to cheaper places like Costa Rica or Mexico. I know a couple with a house near Rocky Point (where the Colorado River meets the sea).

If I were to move to a different country, it would be in Europe, solely because I want to spend a few years seeing the eastern hemisphere. I would do it solely for a life experience.

As far as retirement goes, we have already purchased and paid for a beautiful manufactured home in a returment community near San Diego. It is VERY affordable, even though it is in California.

If you haven't looked at what they are doing with "trailors" these days - our home is built to foundation home specs - drywall, tracklighting, vaulted ceilings, double-size bathtub, walk-in closet, full kitchen with side-by-side fridge, dishwasher, microwave all built in...

We get the clubhouse with pool, jacuzzi, meeting rooms, etc. And we OWN the land so the monthly fees are just about $150/month. Dated-security, and SAN DIEGO. We love it there.

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

i might like to live in another country for a few years but to spend the rest of my life in a another, i don't think so.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
First Mate

My mom and dad retired to Mexico nearly two years ago. They live in a predominantly US/Canadian community of about 10,000 and love it. My dad gardens and likes the temperate climate. Although the primary factor was cost of living (my dad got a stinky deal with corporate mismanagement and then having all his retirement savings go toward paying for a class action suit), for the most part they enjoy being there.

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Retirement is about 20 years away for us. I can't imagine my husband ever wanting to leave here. I on the other hand can't imagine wintering here for the rest of my life. I guess we will wait and see where my kids settle.

Our goal now is just to have everything paid and updated before the retirement years come, plus hopefully have some addition to our savings - so we have more than just our retirement plans and such. This post has been a good reminder to be more disciplined in my spending - so we can remain on track and really be able to enjoy those later years.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I know a lot of people talk about going to cheaper places like Costa Rica or Mexico. I know a couple with a house near Rocky Point (where the Colorado River meets the sea).

If I were to move to a different country, it would be in Europe, solely because I want to spend a few years seeing the eastern hemisphere. I would do it solely for a life experience.

As far as retirement goes, we have already purchased and paid for a beautiful manufactured home in a returment community near San Diego. It is VERY affordable, even though it is in California.

If you haven't looked at what they are doing with "trailors" these days - our home is built to foundation home specs - drywall, tracklighting, vaulted ceilings, double-size bathtub, walk-in closet, full kitchen with side-by-side fridge, dishwasher, microwave all built in...

We get the clubhouse with pool, jacuzzi, meeting rooms, etc. And we OWN the land so the monthly fees are just about $150/month. Dated-security, and SAN DIEGO. We love it there.
Sounds like you got a deal! We've tried checking into a few places like that here in Northern CA...you can rent the 'space''/land for your manufactored home...but NOT buy it.

Some retired friends of ours live in a beautiful beautiful park...all the manufactured homes are lovely. The property owner just recently sold the park and surprise surprise, the new owners doubled the cost for space rental! This caught our friends off guard. They thought they were fixed for the rest of their retirement with a reasonably priced place to live. They're working it out, but as they said, ' no cruises for a while'.

Their experience put a little damper on the 'manufactured' home idea for us.
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Admiral

living in New Orleans is alot like living in a foreign country since Katrina..but I plan on living here for the rest of my days on earth..nothing like it
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Admiral

I already live in a foreign country (Quebec)....

Maybe one day I'll move back to Canada.
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

[quote="Fieldmouse

Sounds like you got a deal! We've tried checking into a few places like that here in Northern CA...you can rent the 'space''/land for your manufactored home...but NOT buy it.

Some retired friends of ours live in a beautiful beautiful park...all the manufactured homes are lovely. The property owner just recently sold the park and surprise surprise, the new owners doubled the cost for space rental! This caught our friends off guard. They thought they were fixed for the rest of their retirement with a reasonably priced place to live. They're working it out, but as they said, ' no cruises for a while'.

Their experience put a little damper on the 'manufactured' home idea for us.[/quote]

yes, owning the propertywas a big part of it - there are many cases of people who own mobile home parks raising rent as a means to get people out so they can re-purpose the land. Some counties have passed laws against it.

Naturally, the right to own the lot, like a big coop, made all the difference. It also means people spend far more on their homes. Every lot in there sells for over $230k (those are the tear-downs, and that is only a few untis out of 300), and one with a brand new unit on it is worth well over $300k. That is very affordable for California, especially north county San Diego, and bigger & nicer than a condo as well, and lower monthly HMA fees.