CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Usage of CAPITAL LETTERS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/334802-usage-capital-letters.html)

mehawk June 15th, 2007 08:14 AM

Usage of CAPITAL LETTERS

Why do people use all CAPITAL LETTERS when they type? I really don't understand it. I know where I work, it used to be required on all offense reports. Finally, someone grew a brain cell and declared that it was not necessary anymore. I know I don't come behind any of you but when I get to work and the keyboard has CAPITAL LOCK on, I get irritated because that causes me to have to redo all my sign on codes again.

Y o u c a n t y p e u s i n g l o w e r c a s e l e t t e r s :wink:

sassyredhat June 15th, 2007 11:55 AM

I sometimes use all capital letters just because I am plain lazy, and don't want to use the "shift" key. LOL

mehawk June 15th, 2007 01:37 PM

That's what I'm talking about... :wink:

crazysis June 15th, 2007 02:08 PM

hey i am lazy too. i just dont bother with capital letters at all! besides i have to use lower case for some of my codes at work so caps just doesnt cut it. besides i was informed by my sis that all caps means you are shouting.

CruisinK n J June 15th, 2007 03:08 PM

Usage of Capital Letters

Yes, I always thought it meant shouting, too.

Judy

Paul Motter June 15th, 2007 04:25 PM

i'm a fan of all lower-case letters, too. I assume it means you are whispering, but I just like to think i'm humble.

mehawk June 15th, 2007 06:41 PM

Paul.... LOL

Paul B June 15th, 2007 08:57 PM

MY CAPS LOCK SEEMS TO BE STUCK.

:twisted:

Phyllbo June 15th, 2007 09:02 PM

officer Mehawk is going to charge you with a CAPITAL offense.

LOL

Phyll

Lombard June 15th, 2007 09:23 PM

LMAO!!! :shock:

Inis46 June 15th, 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllbo
officer Mehawk is going to charge you with a CAPITAL offense.

LOL

Phyll

Ya, and some judge will let him out on "good behavior".....

Mike M June 15th, 2007 10:58 PM

The one I can't understand, is when people say that they type in capital letters because they can't see very well. They aren't the people who are reading the post. LOL

Take care,
Mike

mehawk June 15th, 2007 11:50 PM

So very true...

CruzNut June 16th, 2007 12:35 AM

You're so right. And for all those people who don't want to use the shift key, just do it all in lower case - so much easier to read ... unless you think like Paul and make it itty bitty!!!

Rev22:17 June 18th, 2007 09:43 PM

crazysis,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
hey i am lazy too. i just dont bother with capital letters at all! besides i have to use lower case for some of my codes at work so caps just doesnt cut it. besides i was informed by my sis that all caps means you are shouting.

Your "sis" is absolutely right. In fact, the convention that all caps signify SHOUTING -- with the same rudeness as shouting in a normal oral conversation -- goes back to the early days of the ARPAnet, which evolved into the Internet, and it applies universally -- including e-mail messages. It is, however, acceptable to use all cap's

>> (1) to emphasize a VERY IMPORTANT word or two and

>> (2) in accordance with standard English usage.

The latter includes acronyms like "FUBAR" ("Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition") and "JANFU" ("Joint Army-Navy Foul-Up") and standard Internet shorthand for common phrases (FWIW, BRB, LOL, BTW, IMHO, etc.).

Norm.

mehawk June 18th, 2007 11:33 PM

Norm, is that like SNAFU? My FUBAR states something else... LOL

katlady June 19th, 2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17
crazysis,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You

Your "sis" is absolutely right. In fact, the convention that all caps signify SHOUTING -- with the same rudeness as shouting in a normal oral conversation -- goes back to the early days of the ARPAnet, which evolved into the Internet, and it applies universally -- including e-mail messages. It is, however, acceptable to use all cap's

>> (1) to emphasize a VERY IMPORTANT word or two and

>> (2) in accordance with standard English usage.

The latter includes acronyms like "FUBAR" ("Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition") and "JANFU" ("Joint Army-Navy Foul-Up") and standard Internet shorthand for common phrases (FWIW, BRB, LOL, BTW, IMHO, etc.).

Norm.

Her Sis is always right and GOOD LOOKING TOO. I felt that needed to be emphasized as it was very important. :wink: Portuguese power (I don't know why I added that I'm just proud to be Portuguese plus it's one of the few words I can spell).

mehawk June 19th, 2007 04:52 AM

Norm, there's TARFU also. LOL

Rev22:17 June 19th, 2007 06:38 PM

mehawk,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Norm, there's TARFU also. LOL

And many more. I was providing a couple examples to illustrate the point rather than an exhaustive list....

Norm.

Rev22:17 June 19th, 2007 06:42 PM

mehawk,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Norm, is that like SNAFU? My FUBAR states something else... LOL

Hmmm... I guess that I should have included that great Marine Corps acronym DILLIGAD ("Do I Look Like I Give A Darn???")... but perhaps I should turn to that notorious source of decisions that are totally out of touch with reality, called a BOGSATT ("Bunch Of Generals Sitting Around The Table") for some policy guidance....

Norm.

rescuedad June 19th, 2007 06:56 PM

I agree with what paul said!

mehawk June 19th, 2007 08:18 PM

All proper names are to spelled with a capital. LOL

Libragirl June 24th, 2007 04:24 PM

I sometimes use all capital letters to empasize something and/or to show excitement or joy. I'm not trying to offend anyone. :(

Libragirl LOL

mehawk June 24th, 2007 11:52 PM

No offense taken... LOL

DougR. June 25th, 2007 06:51 AM

wHY iS tHIS A pROBLEM???

Luanne Russo June 25th, 2007 09:53 AM

I wish capital letters were all I had to worry about.

Life is good.

AR June 25th, 2007 01:04 PM

Actually, many studies have shown that the correct use of lower case (with capitalization as appropriate) is much easier to read than all caps.

Some people who use all caps harken back to the old wire service/teletype machines that weren't capable of anything else. In my earliest radio days all the wire copy from AP and UPI printed all caps and I always found it more difficult to read on the air than standard text. I'd rewrite the stories whenever possible anyway, and I always did that in standard form (on typewriters, remember those?).

mehawk June 26th, 2007 02:32 AM

AR, I absolutely agree. When I have to peruse a report generated by one of the coworkers who live to type in all capitals, I hurt my eyes reading it.