Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Itinerary, or Ship?

I was just watching a cruise ship do's and don'ts show, and it reminded me of planing my first cruise in 1990.

They said, decide if you want the ship as a destination, or an itinerary.

I had watched the Love Boat reruns, and, said, "I need to do this!" But, instead of booking a Princess Cruise, we booked Carnival, due to the high visibility with the tv commercials. At the time, it seemed they were numero uno, and the Fun Ship!

But, my focus was on where I wanted to go, since I had not traveled outside the U.S.

So, my question is..when you were planning your FIRST cruise, was it the SHIP or DESTINATION, that was of utmost importance to you?

I know new cruisers, now, have many more options than I did in the olden days

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My first cruise was on the Big Red Boat, so there was no option on itinaries like there is now.

There are some ships that I want to cruise on, some have several in the same class with different itinaries, so I go for that and choose the itinary I want to do.

Yes, there are so much more choices these days on both itinary and ships with new ones coming into service all the time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Itinerary and price are most important to us. If we find 2 or more ships with same itinerary(or nearly same) and close in price then we look at the ship. Our first cruise we were able to get corporate rate direct with the line and no one could come close in price.

With me not working anymore and using hubby's money earned from second job we have to be very aware of the price. So that alone puts some ships out.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Way back in 1976 it was a little bit of both. We wanted a cruise that left from south Florida, because we needed to drop our son (we only had one then) with Gramma and Grampa in Boca. Our travel agent recommended Sitmar as being a superb choice, so we went with it. The agent was right.

Nowadays it's mostly the itinerary, although there are certain lines we will not sail no matter what the itinerary.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Default Itinerary or Ship?

Both, plus price.

Judy
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise was a "freebie" from DH's work, so I'll have to answer for the second.

PRICE was the important thing! We were young and "poor", so $$$ made a huge difference. We just wanted to cruise again, and we've been cruising ever since .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Itinerary is number one:
Ship is number two:

Number one and number two = Number 3 ($) That is also major factor and can be a deal breaker.

There are fantastic cruises to wonderful itineraries on beautiful ships but when the price is $xx,xxx per person then it is just a pipe dream.

However I would take a great itinerary on a ten year old ship, from a major cruise line without thinking twice, if it was a reasonable price.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

I have to say both, plus price. We have done alot of repeat itineraries in the Caribbean, so new islands are of interest to us now. But the ships and the price are just as important. Meanwhile, the search continues.....

donna
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We look at the destionations, then the ships, then price.
Sometimes by the time we get to the price, its back to square one.
Our next destination is Canada and new england.
But for the price we booked a land tour this time. There was not enough time in ports to do the things we wanted.
Look out Trip and Rollerdonnna, here we come...
Carole 8)
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Admiral

My first cruise was on the Mardi Gras. in 1986, It was the price as it was a 4 day cruise and just married , there wasn,t much money.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Itinerary is first.
Ship and price go hand in hand. I dont like to feel I am wasting money, and always look for the best price in what ever we do. So we look for the most we can get with the least to pay. Best value.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Our first cruise was dependent on the kids vacation dates from school, so our first cruise selection was driven by that. As was my second cruise. Now that I only have to plan around when the kids won't be home I think my chosing will be more intinerary driven as I still have lots I want to see, once I am more seasoned, then I will choose by ship.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Admiral

After over 100 cruises, almost all in the Caribbean, there simply aren't many islands that we haven't been to several times, sooooo, for us it's the ship first, the price second and the itinerary last. Fact of the matter is, that in the Caribbean, we very rarely leave the ship. We simply love the "get away from it all" atmosphere aboard cruises. (Getting waited on hand and foot doesn't hurt either. )

Ken
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Our first cruise was by itn.....friends wanted to do the Western & we didn't know any better.....sooo.......talked to a good TA......she got us a great price & upgrade........on a new ship...Carnival Imagination...why not do new huh????

Our second cruise was for the ship.......they changed the itn on the ship we were on....had the option to stay on the ship or go to another ship & keep the itn........we switched ships........wish we would of stayed with the ship now........we'll make it there someday....lol

I'm with skymaster...........we stay on the ship most of the time now....enjoy the empty ship........

Sharon
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Admiral

The original point of departure is key to me.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

When I booked just a few weeks ago, the port of departure was most important and then we decided from there! We only had the one week so that made decision making easy. If that hadnĀ“t been the case, I would probably still be deciding

karen
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Admiral

My very first cruise I had no choice//my then father=in=law called all the shots and it was a combination of price and departure port (New York)

My first cruise that I planned was based on price (Carnival), that was back in the days when you flew to the port and signed up on the list for stand bye...they didn't tell you which ship or where it was going and you had to pay $399 cash ..you would literally wait until less then 15 minutes before departure and they would call your name and you would run to board ...it was really fun and we once received a room that was just short of a suite...ah the good old days..we did that 4 times and always were lucky enough to cruise
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Admiral

For our first cruise we didn't know anything! None of our friends had even cruised before...

There seem to be so many cruise line choices, and we had no idea what the differences were or if there was any. So we found a TA who tried to match us with a cruiseline and ship that would be a good fit AND within our budget.

Our first cruise was a seven day to Mexico...on RCCI with a departure from Long Beach. Plus we got an upgraded to a beautiful suite...Not bad for a first cruise!
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Itinerary, or Ship?

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I was just watching a cruise ship do's and don'ts show, and it reminded me of planing my first cruise in 1990.

They said, decide if you want the ship as a destination, or an itinerary.

I had watched the Love Boat reruns, and, said, "I need to do this!" But, instead of booking a Princess Cruise, we booked Carnival, due to the high visibility with the tv commercials. At the time, it seemed they were numero uno, and the Fun Ship!

But, my focus was on where I wanted to go, since I had not traveled outside the U.S.

So, my question is..when you were planning your FIRST cruise, was it the SHIP or DESTINATION, that was of utmost importance to you?

I know new cruisers, now, have many more options than I did in the olden days
The primary drivers were a combination of (1) cruise line and (2) price.

Amplifying on that, I figured that the cruise lines probably had structured their repeat passenger programs in a manner that's conceptually similar to the airlines' frequent flyer plans, such that one would get more perks by picking one line and sticking with it rather than shifting around to three or four lines. Thus, I did my homework on cruise lines and selected a cruise line based on the following criteria.

>> 1. I knew that a "premium" cruise line probably would provide the best balance of cost and luxury for me.

>> 2. I do enjoy dressing up for classy evenings, so a cruise line that offered a traditional cruise experience seemed like the best choice.

>> 3. I wanted a cruise line that offered global itineraries, as I have always enjoyed both travel and time spent at sea (remember that I was a naval officer in my past life...) and hoped to do a lot more of both.

>> 4. Passenger demographics also played a role. I don't mind travelling with older people, but I was not quite 41 and thus did not want a cruise line that targeted octogenarians in its marketing.

The destination was not a priority, as I figure that I would like travel to most destinations eventually and the order in which I see them simply is not that important. Rather, I decided to go to various destinations as good deals become available, figuring that the chosen cruise line would be good deals to most destinations sooner or later anyway.

So applying those criteria in 1997, I settled on Princess Cruises, then went hunting for bargains and landed aboard MV Sun Princess for a cruise to the "Western Caribbean" that I thoroughly enjoyed. Alas, I did not count on radical changes at Princess in the new millennium that would force a reconsideration and a drive me to shif to another line (Celebrity) in 2003.

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Admiral

We just booked! I have to say, itinerary was the selling point on this one, the fact that we've already sailed the same ship didn't make a difference, since we loved it the first time!
Caribbean Princess, here we come!

donna

p.s, the price was right too!
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Admiral

I also am blessed to have a port in my backyard. That saves the cost of flying or a long road trip elsewhere.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.