Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default The Choice is Yours!

Would you rather book:

A high end suite on say, Carnival,or RCI.....
or

An inside on say, Crystal, or Seabourn?

Are you more curious, to see how fabulous, maybe the penthouse would be, or more curious to have the luxe dining experience and pampered service?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry:

No insides for this guy, not even on Crystal. Seaborne doesn't have inside cabins so I don't have to worry about that one.

It all boils down to bang for the buck. I have never sailed either line so I can't say I won't but Crystal is luxury but, from my understanding, it is a more traditional cruise experience with traditional dining and more standard itineraries.

Seaborne on the other hand has smaller ships that will get into ports that larger ships can't. That, plus the high end service would make me "think" about dropping the $$$$ for it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Captain

I'll take the suite
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Default The Choice is Yours

No inside cabins for me, no way no how. I'll settle for a cabin with a window on a more expensive cruise for an itinerary that I really want.

Judy
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Give me any room on a Carnival ship over any other line.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't think I'd care for any inside, so I'd go for the suite on Royal Caribbean. Someday I'd like to try a Crystal or one simular. Just having a balcony cabin on any ship is fine with me.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Being essentially a plebian, I'll stick to RCI, and a balcony would do just fine.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Don't really want to sail on either Carnival or RCI ... nor an inside cabin on any line! But would love to try one of those super duper cruises if one of you would like to pay my way!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

as long as has a great bed..inside on Seaborn and take the pampering, which IMHO would be the greater value..
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
Admiral

I'll take option 3

Inside cabin on Carnival...RCI etc

for twice as long.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I dont mind slumming ...... GIVE ME THE SUITE!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Admiral

I want action, I would worry Seabourn or Crystal would not have enough games and stuff. Plus I was once upgraded from a 6A to 11 and it so totally rocked. I would take the Carnival unless you can get me that special family suite RCI has on Freedom of the Seas the one with the hot tub.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Admiral

I'm with Kat on that!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Remember: It doesn't cost more to go first class - you just can't stay as long.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If I were going to opt for luxury cruise, I would chose to go all out, and enjoy a nice balcony cabin. Don't think an inside cabin on a luxury ship would give me the feeling of "luxury ship living".

I also don't think a suite on a Carnival or RCI ship is comparable in price to an inside on say Crystal. The comparison would probably be more like Crystal inside to Carnival/RCI balcony.. or perhaps Junior Suite.

I've cruised in several inside cabins, and I've cruised in Suites. Of course the "suite life" was most certainly nicer, but I wouldn't discount an inside cabin.... though I'd chose a balcony.

For me.. if a balcony wasn't possible, I'd just as soon go for the inside cabin, as I prefer the darkness to sleep in, if the other option is just a small window to look out.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Passenger

I don't know if you know this CruzNut but the Emerald Princess is operated by Carnival Cruise Lines. When I had a problem with Carnival and said I would never sail with them I went online to find out which ships sail under the Carnival Umbrella.

Here is a quote from:

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Princess Cruises is an American cruise line, based out of Santa Clarita, California, that operates cruise ships also shares the same building with Cunard Line headquarters. It is one of the many cruise lines operated by the Carnival Corporation. The company was made famous by The Love Boat TV series, in which two of its ships, the Island Princess and Pacific Princess were featured.[/code]"

Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (coming up January 13, 2008)
Norwegian SUN - January 2007
Carnival Conquest - September 2005
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggie620
I don't know if you know this CruzNut but the Emerald Princess is operated by Carnival Cruise Lines. When I had a problem with Carnival and said I would never sail with them I went online to find out which ships sail under the Carnival Umbrella.
While Carnival Corporation owns Princess, Seabourn, Holland America, Carnival Cruises, Costa, Cunard, AIDA, P&O and P&O of Australia, it does an good job of maintaining each line's uniqueness and niche markets.

Someone saying they would not sail Carnival does not mean they would sail on the Queen Mary 2 or a Holland America ship.

It is the same as Royal Caribbean: They own Celebrity and Azamara. Each are different lines under the same corporate umbrella.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

But unfortunately Mike, RCCL almost ruined Celebrity after the merger. RCCL tried cramming Celebrity into the Royal Caribbean mold, and it didn't work well at all.

Carnival under Mickey, however, did a much better job of letting its aquisitions operate as they had previously, and is much the better for it.

It's also interesting how Carnival out-maneuvered RCCL in the Princess merger, when it looked like a slam-dunk for RCCL. I myself thought RCCL-Princess made more sense, and not just from an anti-trust perspective.

Will be interesting to see if RCCL learned from its Celebrity misadventure and lets the new cruise line alone.

Dean
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Admiral

I'm with the Cynic. I'll take two cruises on RCI or Carnival in an inside cabin. Double my pleasure, double my fun. 8)

Ken
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Admiral

I don't care who owns what, just let me cruise. I think I can have fun anywhere! We even had a few fun moments during the Katrina recovery thing!
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Admiral

froggie620,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Here is a quote from:

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Princess Cruises is an American cruise line, based out of Santa Clarita, California, that operates cruise ships also shares the same building with Cunard Line headquarters. It is one of the many cruise lines operated by the Carnival Corporation. The company was made famous by The Love Boat TV series, in which two of its ships, the Island Princess and Pacific Princess were featured.[/code]"
Unfortunately, your quote illustrates the problem with a free source of information to which anybody can contribute. The information that you quoted is, quite simply, wrong on several counts.

>> 1. Carnival Cruise Line is a subsidiary of a holding company named Carnival Corporation. Its stock trades as common shares on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol CCL.

>> 2. Princess Cruise Line is a subsidiary of a British holding company named Carnival Plc. Its stock trades as ordinary shares on the London Stock Exchange under the EPIC symbol CCL. It also has an American Depository Trust, shares of which trade on the New York Stock Exchange as American Depository Receipt (ADR) shares under the ticker symbol CUK.

>> 3. Carnival Corporation and Carnival Plc. entered into a joint operating agreement in 1983 that allows them to operate as though they were one company. Nonetheless, two distinct legal entities remain.

Under the joint operating agreement, Princess Cruises and Carnival Cruises are functionally sister lines. Neither owns the other.

And in the end, things that are free often are worth exactly what you pay for them!

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It is the same as Royal Caribbean: They own Celebrity and Azamara. Each are different lines under the same corporate umbrella.
Just to be clear, there are two entities with "Royal Caribbean" in their name.

>> The entity named "Royal Caribbean International" is a cruise line.

>> The entity named "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd." is a holding company, the stock of which trades as common shares on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol RCL and on the Oslo Stock Exchange, that owns four subsidiaries named "Royal Caribbean International" (a cruise line), "Celebrity Cruises" (another cruise line), "Pullmantur SA" (a cruise and land tour operator based in Spain), and "Royal Celebrity Tours" (a land tour operator). AFAIK, "Azamara Cruises" is currently a brand operated by the "Celebrity Cruises" subsidiary.

Thus, the statement that "Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity" is misleading to many people.

BTW, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has gone to great pains to maintain the distinct character of each cruise line, even to the extent of minimizing cross reassingment of staff from one cruise line to another.

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: The Choice is Yours!

Trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Would you rather book:

A high end suite on say, Carnival,or RCI.....
or

An inside on say, Crystal, or Seabourn?

Are you more curious, to see how fabulous, maybe the penthouse would be, or more curious to have the luxe dining experience and pampered service?
Given my 'druthers, I'll take the smaller cabin on the fancier ship. When I'm on a cruise, I don't spend enough time in my cabin to care whether it has a balcony or not!

Of course, a honeymoon cruise would yield a different answer....

Norm.
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Admiral

Place my order for the high end side. I like to see where I am going and leaving from while in the comfort of a/c if necessary.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.