Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default What Do You Collect?

Nothing I collect has any longevity, sadly......Type A, you see BUT, I do have a nice collection of vintage Miami Beach hotel postcards. Mostly 20's 30's 40's

It's amazing to me to have, these litttle snippets of time capsules..Some have a brief blurb to friends and family back home, and some have prices on the back, that would make Priceline gasp

Long ago, there were hotels on the beach side. As a fan of art deco architecture, I am sad to see that, these little jewel hotels, are mostly long gone

What do you collect? Pigs, magnets, teacups, fine wine?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Admiral

I used to collect lighthouses and at one point my goal was to see every lighthouse in the world (so far only have seen about 20 on the US east coast and some in the Carribbean)

Now I seem to only collect BILLS.....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I collect Porceleyne Fles Royal Delft Blue pottery. I have many types of delft within this collection, as this company did - does several types of delft pottery, the imari, polychrome, the red, white etc etc. I have some pieces of each type of technique they do, and my collection is well over a thousand pieces. My favorite is the blue.

This collection started as I was the one in the family who liked the Delft best and people in my age group were going "modern" and did not want it so pieces were left to me, and now of course they all want it...........but to late by twenty years time! My first piece of porceleyne Fles was given to me as a child by my greatgrandmother.

www.royaldelft.nl

interesting topic Trip, and I know some one with also vintage post cards and they are amazing to look at.
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I collect crystal bells, spoons, cruise ship Christmas ornaments, and lately I have been collecting teddy bears from the cruise ships.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Admiral

I collect VW beetle models which includes the model year of every year I have ever owned..My son actually started me on the collection by finding one while he was in Germany of a 1951 VW black beetle , so far I have 18 of them in a beautiful case

I also collect Jazz Festival posters that I have framed of festivals that I have actually attended around the world, Of course the collection is dominated by New Orleans Jazz Festival prints but I also have 2 smooth jazz cruises posters and my all time favorite from the Montreux Jazz Festival and it was signed by Carlos Santana

I also collect models of planes my son has acutally flown including a WW2 P-51 Red Tail Mustang, a WW2 B-25 bomber, a T-38 trainer, a glider, a Sirrus SR22 and 3 versions of the F-15..soon to be added to the collection an F-22 Raptor

Needless to say, I have no blank walls in my home
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Things to do with sewing......but mostely sewing machines.......I even found one in St. Thomas.......I have some that are only a 1/4 " tall.......

Sharon
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
First Mate

Hi Trip,

I always enjoy seeing what other people collect.

Do sea shells count? We used to have a weekend place at Galveston and
collected a ton of sea shells. Many we have given away, but I have kept some of the best or unusual ones.

When we travel, I collect either Christmas ornaments especially those from the Caribbean Islands or those that you can buy on the ship with the name of the cruise ship on them. I also pick up key chains with the names of the places we visit.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I'm a "philatelist".

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard
I'm a "philatelist".
I used to be a "philatelist", also. I don't know what happened to my collection. It was many years ago, but I really did enjoy it.

Libragirl
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We collect STAR TREK !
anything to do with Star Trek.
Our house number is 1701.. the NCC number for the Enterprise.
That was a travia question on a game show.
My vanity tag on my car is TREKKER.( I wish I could get star trek, but it was taken.)
All the Christmas ornments, autographs of all the actors, games, action figures, photos, posters,signed pictures, plates, coffee mugs, mouse pads.
We have been on 3 star trek cruises,planning on others.
If any one finds something, please let me know. I want it all.
Carole 8)
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm a philatelist but I don't lick.

Betty collects antique furniture. She drives me nuts. On the good stuff she'll just clean it up and preserve it but she loves restoring old furniture that has been painted or abused.

She is now working on a garage sale piece that is from the late eighteen hundreds. It had so many layers of paint on it plus old stickers that it looked like heck. She is now down to the bare wood and it is a beautiful cherry highboy.

She will probably sell her $5 garage sale piece for 100 times that when she's done. Or, with my luck, she'll keep it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have a dust collection, I keep it under the bed.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Laura - me too!
I used to collect fridge magnets, until my fridge couldn't hold anymore. Now most of them are in a box, only a select few stay on the fridge.
I also collect teapots, but have also run out of room to display them.
More recently, my collecting has been limited to Christmas ornaments from the islands I've visited, or the ships we have sailed.

I guess you could call jigsaw puzzles a collection too. I have made and laminated many, which hang on the walls of our home, and given many more away as gifts. My favourites are the Thomas Kinkaide ones.

donna
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Admiral

We collect art, and we've pretty much run out of wall space. Our tastes run to the contemporary, and some of the stuff is very nice. I have one wall in our home theatre dedicated to Warner Brothers animation cels, and have four signed Chuck Jones limited editions--two of which are production cels, one-of-a-kind. The wall looks great--the lights on that wall are the last ones I dim before the movie starts when we have screenings for friends.

I'm a Sherlockian, so I have a bookcase full of Sherlock Holmes books, but it doesn't hold a candle to the collection of my friend Peter--a renowned Sherlockian "black belt" who has seven or eight thousand volumes on Holmes (yes, there are that many, and more). He built a new house about three years ago and has floor-to-ceiling bookcases in two large rooms completely filled, with more stuff still on the floors in boxes. It's a world-class, priceless collection, and I always enjoy visiting it--and him. In fact, I'm having dinner with him tomorrow night.

My other "collection" is theatres. I'm a big fan of vintage theatres and I rejoice every time one gets restored and reborn, and I grieve when a grand dame gets torn down. I've been known to fly off to places just to see theatres, so I guess you could call that a collection. Of course, I have no interest in the typical 12-plex cineboxes, which are blights on the landscape. I'd rather see films in my home theatre (the "Trans-Lux"), than have my feet stick to the floor in a cinderblock box.
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Default What Do You Collect?

My, but you people collect interesting things! I used to collect frig magnets, but when we bought a stainless steel frig, that ended that hobby. Now they're in a sack somehere.

Laura and Martha, . Dustballs and bills are also in my realm! I exell in collecting bills but not in collecting money!

Judy
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I like to pick up a Christmas ornament from each new place we visit. We've also been picking up shot glasses along the way and Dave always looks for the "floaty" pens.
Trip, I love reading old post cards too.
Angela Z.
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yeoman

I've inherited my family's home and all the "collections"in it. There is everything from Blue Willow Ware (enough serving pieces to have a dinner for a neighborhood block party!) to antique dinnerbells, with Hummel's and Boyd Bears inbetween. I think I'll just collect cruise ship souvenir glasses.....
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Admiral

I used to collect classic cars (9) but it got to be too expensive and now they are gone except for one.

Now, I collect antique furniture and books, rare gold coins and old U.S. currency notes, art, and paperbacks.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Captain

SMILES They don't take up any room, but some of them are worth more than any collection I have. And the nice thing is I can give them away and still have plenty.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

Smiles are a fun thing to collect! Contagious as well!
Just asked dh what I collect because I couldn´t think of anything and he said roses! Guess he´s right. I´ve got 28 different rose bushes planted now, four of which are the new blue variety.
karen
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Marj has a large number of collectable dolls. I add to it on holidays.

I collect 1/24 scale NASCAR diecast models, concentrating on the Daytona 500 winners and the winners of Nextel and Busch championships.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Admiral

I collected cows - rounded up the herd and now the grace the laundry room. I would say this collection is complete.

Now I collect Dragonflies - I have several pins, and various items with dragonflies on them. At the moment they are my passion.

I also collect Red Sox Stuff. I'm a true "Royal Rooter"

There are so many things I would love to collect but have no room.

I'd like to collect jewels and gems...maybe a diamond collection.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Maybe Betty should take some of her collection on "Antiques Roadshow."

Dean
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Clocks, it all started about 17 years ago when my sister came to visit and the only clocks I had in my house was either on the microwave oven or on my night stand. After her visit for every birthday and Xmas she would send me a clock and then I started asking others to do the same and now like with many collections I'am running out of room.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Admiral

We buy a magnet in each port, and I collect owls. Owls are easy to find in Mexico, but not so easy to find in the Eastern Caribbean.

PartyAnimal,

I also bought a clock in Dominica. It's a funky little thing with two cats on it. It cost $3.00 and hasn't worked since we got home! I still love it .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Admiral

Doug, whereas I don't collect the Nascar series, I do also collect 1/24 scale models of cars. Mainly '55 Fords and Chevrolet muscle cars. But, they are all still in their boxes as my hands aren't as nimble as they used to be...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Admiral

I collect anything to do with cruising and I wish I could collect MONEY!