Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Default A Compliment For CM Board Moderators and Posters

I read alot of online newspapers daily and just recently started to read some of the comments that people post at the end of the articles and it absolutely shocks me at the vile, racist, small minded. outright hatred that people express..What shocks me more is that whoever moniters the board allows those postings to stay there !!!

Sometimes I really wonder what "Middle Americans" really think and what forum do they chose to express their thoughts.My feeling is that our country is becoming more divided then together over many issues

I would like to express my thanks for a job well done on this board both by the posters and the moderators. Only rarely does a postings stay on more then a few minutes that would be found offensive and most posters seem to honor the "rules of posting", but yet find a way to express their opinions in a "somewhat" civil manner

Keep up the good work !!! read any USA article that deals with Iraq, Immigration, Race or Religion. or POTUS, and see what I mean..Yet, on the CM boards we talk about the same topics, but yet in a very different and respectful tone..How Come ????
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Venice,
I think the majority of the posters here at Cruisemates do have respect for others, that says a lot and makes our job a bit easier. I know sometimes, its difficult to express in typing what you really want to say, every once in awhile it just comes out wrong and we may have to do some editing or deleting, just part of the job.

All in all we have a great bunch of both monitors and posters that do post within the guidelines, which makes these boards the "friendliest" around.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Captain

I agree with Donna. CM has a wonderful group of people who really seem to care about one another!

Libragirl
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I know we are all great posters. I'm an angel!
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Venice, that's so nice to hear. Since I started chatting,[1996] on cruise boards, I have seen some, where bullet proof vests are needed, and the flames shoot skyward....aren't we a lucky bunch here

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 25th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Admiral

I have seen those replies in the newspapers that Venice is speaking of. I don't reply to them because...

I am a poster child

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Admiral

Melody...I am a former alter boy, and you know what the priest and nuns taught us about "Angels" (VBG)..but I also lived in Oakland CA for a time and lived close to where the H**ll Angels headquarters was located and saw alot of "angels" (VBG)

Which version of "Angel" are you ? (VBG)
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Admiral

It's just a great group of people here at CM, and when you are fortunate enough to actually meet these folks, face to face, you realize even more how fortunate we are to be involved with these people. Yes, we do have our differences of opinion, but we all respect each other enough to "hold our tongue" (or fingers), and allow for the differences. Thanks for a job well done to the moderators, to the CM family, and especially to all the "Mates".

Ken
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Well what kind of angel am I? HMMMM! I would have to say I'm a devilish angel! I wish I were a teflon angel, like someone else on these boards!

Melody
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
First Mate

There is an old saying, even older than I am, "He who has seen only Podunk has not seen Podunk." We are blessed with the privilege of having met people from all over the world and knowing that people are people no matter where they are. A lot of the respondents to other posts [Yahoo, etc.] may not have had the priceless experiences that cruiser have, and having not seen others supposedly different from themselves, they have not even had a good look at themselves.
When I am on a cruise, I am always humbled by being treated better than I have any right to be. So far, I have never departed a ship without deep admiration for the crew and staff. If my view ever changes, the first place I need to look is in the mirror.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Melody,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I know we are all great posters. I'm an angel!
But did you get hurt when you landed? I mean... when you crashed down from heaven?

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

What I like most about being a moderator is that I am constantly learning new things.

No one can cruise every ship and know the answer to every question and its the readers who educate us more than we can ever educate the readers and that's how it should be.

One thing we do strive to do is make everyone feel as welcome as possible, especially new people. That doesn't mean we alienate our loyal readers but its new readers who come here to seek and find information about this wonderful world of cruising.

I often say that there are no dumb questions. Just because a long time reader may have seen a question many times doesn't mean that the person who is asking it is dumb. On the contrary. I know many first, second and repeat cruisers who are extremely intelligent but do not know everything.

Here's a "not really" secret to all the new folks: Even the people who have 40 cruises under their belt don't know everything and people who've only cruised once may know something they don't.

The other thing that makes things fun is dialog and discussion. It's great when differing opinions can be shared. Remember folks: They're just opinions. Everyone has one and if someone doesn't like your ship or cruise line it doesn't mean they don't like you. Just try to keep it civil.

So welcome to everyone and thank you, Venice: It's fun being around Cruisemates. It keeps me sane or is it the other way around?

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Norm, what a sweet thing to say, I think
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Admiral

gee, it's time for a group hug (VBG)...we are all so "full of ourselves" these days aren't we (VBG), but I meant the compliment in a sincere tone...this board lately does not seem to have the meaness of other popular postings..would that be because when people go on cruises we have a tendency to mellow out over a period of time ? (except for that poor poster who had the toxic-MIL )
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also am so thankful for all the people at Cruisemates. I have been to those other boards, and some are to mean, and some will put you to sleep.

I think we have a perfect combination.

Well done guys!!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Luanne...I can honestly say you are not mean and you will never put anyone to sleep with your postings on these boards

stiil waiting for you to post your pictures of your balcony and the life vest (VBG)
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Admiral

I can picture Melody feverishly trying to straighten her halo and having a fit doing it (VBG).

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Admiral

I do have a novelty hat....white fur with a halo and wings! Bought it in Dollywood!
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Admiral

So my friend Melody...when they have formal night on your cruise do you dress up in all white with your halo and wings, and when you make your grand entrance to the Captain's cocktail party does the band start playing

- Kiss An Angel Good Morning (Charlie Pride)
or
-Pretty Little Angel Eyes (Curtis Lee)
or
-Johnny Angel (Shelly Fabres)
or
-Angel Baby (Rosie and the Originals)
or
-Centerfold (J Geils Band) "my blood runs cold, my Angel is a centerfold"
(VBG)
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Admiral

this is a great site and the moderators do an excellent job. when i had a technical problem and sent them an email they responded in less then 24 hours. the site is fun and informative and we have a great bunch of people here.
as for angels......my horns are holding up my halo.
hi venice, i was born and raised in the bay area so i know the clubhouse you are talking about. somehow i cant picture melody as a red and white "angel".

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Admiral

This is a great board. I have been here a few months and have yet to see an entire thread pulled because of bad behavior. Nor have I read any posts that can be considered real hardcore flaming. (Compared to that other large cruise forum board). In fact, I have only seen one or two posts pulled and that was because they had inadvertently gone off subject. People here are respectful and fun. There are some larger boards that do indeed require the use of fire extinguishers.

I don't have conflicts in the real world so I do not expect to have unnecessary, ugly conflicts when I am on the Internet. I too have read some comments left on some website and am appalled by what people will write because they believe themselves to be anonymous. Try reading comments left on Youtube. Unbelieveable what people will write.

As far as cruise forums, I previously participated in another larger forum board. CM is by far superior. People here are just here for the sole purpose of sharing their love of cruising. The veteran posters set the tone for this board and a lot of credit goes to the moderators who will edit a post so as to remove anything that is even the least bit offensive.

I give the moderators here an A++ for helping all of us be happy, helpful and fun communicators.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

We really try not to edit, except for inadvertent advertising, and overall we don't have to delete too much.

One thing to remember is that message boards are fairly two dimensional. Someone may something in jest and it is not picked up by the reader. Or someone may write something, with no malice but it is interpreted that way by someone else.

Things are easily misinterpreted so it is often a good thing to take a few moments before responding to a post that may upset you.

Then there are those times when someone just posts a flagrant, nasty message. On those occasions it is best to "Report The Post" rather than responding and adding fuel to the fire.

I know on a few occasions I have let my fingers do the talking instead of my brain (nothing too bad) and a couple of those posts made it to the Delete Posts forum. It's nothing I'm proud of but it happens and once you learn from it then it happens far less.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me