Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default Back to Back CM Experts

One of my cruising buddy friends brought to my attention that there is the potential to do back to back full charter theme cruises on HAL Westerdam on two separate occasions coming up

one back to back combination in November would be one week of "straight" jazz with the second week "smooth" jazz. The common ports would be St Maarten and Half Moon Cay

the other back to back combination in January 08 would be one week "smooth" jazz and one week the best of Latin Jazz, with the only common port again Half Moon Cay

I jokingly said if she would pay for one week, I would pay for the other and she is considering it !

I need input as to what are the "pros" and "cons" of doing back to back on the same ship ? I would already suspect that there will be a discount for booking back to back since all four are arranged by the same company

how does one not gain weight ?..I've never been on a cruise for more then 8 days at one time...are 14 days too much? ?..I can save on airfare which is an obvious plus. I won't be bored for evening entertainment that's for sure..full charter jazz cruises are pretty intense (much more then a "normal" cruise)..Is it possible to overdose on too much of a good thing ? With the airlines on weight restrictions how does one pack for a back to back..since these are full charters, there are not "formal" nights scheduled so I don't have to pack my tux

I would like my fellow CM'ers input ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Captain

Venice,

I have been on two back-to-back cruises. My DH and I took back-to-back cruises on the Holiday (10 days total), and back-to-back on the Fantasy, then the Glory (12 days total). As for gaining weight, I'm sure I did, but my husband and I try to walk at least 45 minutes a day for exercise. We also do a lot of walking when we are in port.

We recently returned from a 28 day cruise to Europe and the Mediterranean. I try not to weigh after a cruise. I probably gained weight on this cruise, but once again, my husband and I did a lot of walking in the ports.

I also try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables (salads) on the cruises, and try to limit myself to dessert every now and then.

Do the back-to-back if you can. You will love it.

Libragirl (Mary)
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Since they are theme cruises you wont have to worry about the entertaining repeating.... only the menus.
Those are the two main drawbacks to me on doing regular back to back cruises.

As far as packing.. on HAL they have self service laundry as well as some very good deals on bulk laundry service, so that should take care of clothing issues.
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Admiral

thanks for the great feedback..I walk alot anyway and love the salads and soups and fish and I usually let my waiter decide what to order for me so I gain a wide variety..I do have a weakness for desserts so that could be a problem..great to know about the deal with laundry..if I decide to do it, I would probably pack two suitcases, since two other couples (one for each week) would be coming, after the first week, one couple can take one suitcase back to new orleans with them and the other can bring my second to me, I'lll just have to double my outfits and wear my suit two weeks in a row, which won't be a problem because it will be 2 different crowds
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Back to Back CM Experts

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
One of my cruising buddy friends brought to my attention that there is the potential to do back to back full charter theme cruises on HAL Westerdam on two separate occasions coming up

one back to back combination in November would be one week of "straight" jazz with the second week "smooth" jazz. The common ports would be St Maarten and Half Moon Cay

the other back to back combination in January 08 would be one week "smooth" jazz and one week the best of Latin Jazz, with the only common port again Half Moon Cay

I jokingly said if she would pay for one week, I would pay for the other and she is considering it !

I need input as to what are the "pros" and "cons" of doing back to back on the same ship ? I would already suspect that there will be a discount for booking back to back since all four are arranged by the same company
The "pro" is that you will save money. You probably will get a discount compared to the price of booking each cruise separately. Also, you'll pay just one air fare rather than two.

There are two "cons." The first is that you probably will have the same series of menus and the same shows on both cruises. The second is that the ship probably will not offer shore excursions on the "turnaround day" in the middle of your cruise. Overall, though, these are pretty slight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
how does one not gain weight ?
Quite easily. The secret is in how you go between decks. Those lifts inject atomized fat into your body whenever you are standing on them. If you use the stairs instead of the lifts to go between decks, you probably will not gain weight. Of course, deliberate exercise -- walking some laps of the jogging track or swimming in the ship's pool on days at sea and taking shore excursions that are somewhat active rather than sedentary -- also helps. And, of course, dancing in the evening helps, too.

And believe it or not, I actually have lost weight on several of my cruises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've never been on a cruise for more then 8 days at one time...are 14 days too much?
Never. I have done several cruises of fourteen nights, several of which had many days at sea (a "round trip" cruise to Hawai'i from Los Angeles and two transatlantic cruises) and every one of them has been way too short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
With the airlines on weight restrictions how does one pack for a back to back..since these are full charters, there are not "formal" nights scheduled so I don't have to pack my tux
See the first post in this thread on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board for packing lists for a fourteen night cruise. You'll need to adapt them slightly based on evening dress codes for your cruise.

Norm.