Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default One jumps off Ecstasy

Another one... What is happening to people lately???

An 18-year-old man died early today after he jumped from a cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico.

Officials with Carnival Cruise Lines said the man jumped from aboard the Ecstasy, a 70,000-ton cruise ship that sailed out of Galveston on Saturday for a five-day round-trip cruise to Cozumel, Mexico.

Vance Gulliksen, a spokesman for the cruise line, said in a statement that "an 18-year-old male passenger was seen jumping overboard from one of the ships upper decks" about 7:35 a.m. Officials aboard the Ecstasy initiated a search and notified the U.S. Coast Guard.

Gulliksen said the passenger was recovered by the crew about a half-hour later and brought on board, where he was pronounced dead. He has not been identified.

The Ecstasy, which holds 2,052 passengers, is en route to Cozumel, Gulliksen said, and is expected to arrive Monday morning. It is scheduled to return to Galveston on Thursday.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Death by cruise ship, an easy out for many I think...and how very sad

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Admiral

Michael,

You know, I'm getting too old for this kind of thing..........

So, life becomes too much. Life becomes too much to bear. So let's end the misery. Let's take a long hop into the Great Unknown, and hope for the best...............

And while we're at it, let's wait for the dawn of a new day. Let's wait until the sun comes up to end it all. Let's end it all on the hope and promise of a beautiful day.

Let's make a spectacular end to a beautiful beginning..........

Except that then only thing beautiful was his life to begin with........

I suppose his family is going to understand his desire to end it all. I suppose his friends are going to understand his desire. I suppose his girlfriend is going to undstand all of this......

You know, I understand all of this. Wanting to end it all....

And yet, how would it be, with my ending it this way? How would it be, taking the easy way out? How would it be on the ones who love me?

Life's a ***** -- it's how we deal with it that's important. Mayhem comes in our lives, and it goes. If all goes well, we deal with it. And dealing with mayhem positively is always better than the alternative........

Mayhem -- and sometimes girlfriends -- comes and goes in our lives. And if we're fortunate, we rise above it all, and are better persons for it all. I know I've had enough mayhem for a lifetime...........

And yet, tomorrow the sun will rise on a beautiful day. And if I weren't here, I would miss out. And miss out on so many things.....

Pura vida, me amigo!

Dean
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM
Admiral

So true, Dean, so true..

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Very sad indeed. I just read that another idiot jumped off "Liberty", however they were able to locate and save him. Can you believe that he was DRUNK? Who'd have thought? I wish they'd stop jumping off cruise ships.

Ken
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Admiral

This story makes me sad. It is disrespectful to anyone with a terminal illness to commit suicide. Also it's a terrible thing to do to your family on board. My heart goes out to his family.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Last night it was reported that the teen that jumped had been severely beaten and sexually assaulted by two other teens, a couple of years ago. The two other boys were convicted and sentenced. This child barely survived his ordeal and has since been speaking out for harsher sentences for "hate" crimes. So very, very sad.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is really sad in so many ways. It is becoming a little bit like the Golden Gate bridge. Except that many times the jumpers from ships get rescued.

I am sure this young man did this to make a statement about how tortured he has been beyond the pain he suffered in his hatecrime victimization. He was demonstrating that his pain continues. I wonder if he chose to do it on a cruise ship specifically because he knows cruise ship jumpers are getting media coverage these days therefore making sure his last statement was publicized.

It is sad for the rest of us that the sadness has now become a part of something we enjoy. But we live in a world of realities - which the sea often helps us to forget, but obviously not always.

If someone has been expressing suicidal tendencies, it probably is not a good idea to take them on a cruise, unless you can be with them the whole time. Any more than you should ask them to walk across the Golden Gate bridge for a picnic.

As to why the other person jumped, the 25 year old drunk man - who was rescued despite himself. What can you say except one cannot be responsible for the actions of others?

The coast guard was just re-financed by congress to the tune of some 7 billion dollars just for local functions. I wonder what the average rescue at sea for one of these operations costs?
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Here's a local report about the second jumper:

http://www.wpbf.com/news/13606121/de...11000207022007

There are photos that show hime being taken away at the pier by the sheriffs dept.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Beginner

I was on the Ecstasy this week when the young man jumped. It was obviously tragic for the friends sailing with him, but this is something that will stay with everyone aboard. It was my first cruise and although we had a great time, all things considered, what happened was in the back of our minds for the entire trip. I don't think I will ever forget it.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Mel9...

I agree it is sad, and I am sorry that people seem to think of cruise ships as a good way to commit suicide these days. This case was particularly sad because of his reasons for doing so. He was obviously trying to make a statement. And because cruise ship jumpers all seem to make the news these days (unlike Golden Gate jumpers, about 60 per year), he knew his message would get out to the public, and it did.

I hope this trend stops soon. It ruins the vacation for others, and I think many of them (but not this case) do it simply for the attention, knowing they will very likely be rescued.
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Well stated Paul