Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Admiral

We never took family vacations. I come from a large family (5 boys) and our summer vacation was occasionally a trip to church camp for a week. Yes, it was fun, but not the family vacation that we all wanted.

Ken
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Our vacations as I was growing up were camping.......first with leantos & the car..........used a firepit to cook on, maybe a camp stove. Then we got a small trailer.......5 of us......a bit cramped. Most of the trips were close to home......maybe a couple hours drive. Then we went to British Columbia, Oregon & California.

I had only done the Pacific Northwest until I was married & then branched off to Colorado & the states in between for driving. Then came Hawaii....first time I ever flew........then cruises in 1995.

How things have changed eh????

Sharon
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM
First Mate

Our family vacations were getting all of the family piled in the back of the truck and driving to my aunts place and staying the night. With 11 kids my parents did not have much time for vacation. My real vacation was taking my fishing pole and heading for the creek and tossing a line.

Whe n We took our first cruise in 1991 I was hooked on cruising but didn;t cruise again until 2000
Grant
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Grant...

My background is that my first cruise experience was working on ships in 1983, then I did not cruise for 10 years until I got another job on 1993. I took one short cruise (a day cruise ) on the Azure Seas in San Diego.

But hardly a day went by when I didn't think about getting on ships again during those 10 years, I loved it so much. As John Heald says, the sea really does get into your blood.

It is that feeling of pulling away from the dock and knowing you have engines and a hull to propel you to faraway places.

The dreams I had were amazing - ships dreams all the time, on the ship, getting to the ship, the ship going through amazing places.

I'd have dreams where the ship was cutting through land, and dreams where the ship was submerging (but on purpose, not sinking), or I was on a lower deck and hanging my feet in the water, or I knew secret doors from inside the ship to go into the sea....

Hard to explain, but that connection of the me to the ship and the ship to the sea was always a part of the theme of these recurring dreams about being on ships, the whole time during those 10 "dry" years.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Admiral

VtJen:

I've been to Bailey Island (or is it Bayley Island?) many times, by car and by ferry from Portland. I think we ate at Cook's Lobstah House a few times (is it the one overlooking the small fishing harbour?). Also remember the Land's End Gift Shop.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Admiral

As a child our "vacations" were going with Daddy (while he was working) to Hot Springs, Ark. He would work during the day and come back in the evening to swim with me and to have dinner. We stayed in a mid-class motel (this was in the '50s) because Daddy could get a very good rate.

Mother and I would go into Hot Springs during the day and "window shop". I thought it was the most wonderful vacation ever !

I even have a picture of myself in the pool behind the "Miss Arkansas" contestants at the Avanelle Motel.

It would have never occurred to me to take a cruise! It would have been so far and beyond anything we'd ever heard of!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

When I was growing up, in Atlanta, every year we went to Florida. My dad wanted to try a different beach each year.

My parents, God bless them, communicated by arguing.

One summer, mom declared that she was sick of Florida, and wanted to go to the Georgia mountains.

We left early one morning for the mountains, but they got to arguing, and daddy turned around, and went toward Florida. We got just south of Atlanta, and they made up, and daddy turned around, to go North. Mama opened her mouth, and you guessed it, he turned us around again.

My brother, who is five years younger than I am, and I were in the back seat, staying very quiet, and staying out of it.

Finally it got to be lunch time, and we were all starving, because our favorite BBQ place had been in the middle of all that back and forth, so we were thrilled to stop there. (For those of you who live in Atlanta, it's Mueller BBQ

After lunch we stayed south. Back then it was back roads to Florida, and took a lot longer. We were going to Daytona, but learned that a tropical storm had turned into a hurricane, and was headed for the East Coast. We finally decided to stop in Jacksonville.

Of course the hurricane was my dad's fault, or at least my mom said so.

I remember we stayed in a cottage, and it had those Florida windows, all the way around. I don't know what they are really called, but with the crank, you opened all these heavy window panes.

Late into the night, my mom woke us up, and told us to get under the bed.

It seems that the hurricane hit around Daytona, but the tornado's came to Jacksonville, and went right over our little cottage. I remember seeing all those little panes of glass opening and closing by themselves.

I was young so I had no idea what a tornado sounded like, but it did sound like there was a train going through. Here we are under the bed, and my little brother is saying Woo woo, like a train.

The next morning, the beaches were all torn up, and the fish were everywhere. It was a great science lesson for us to see.

On the way home, we heard my mom say" Next year, we're going to the mountains"
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Admiral

Thanks Luanne.

I'm now beginning to gain a little insight into just how "Luanne" became "Luanne"........

Old July 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Admiral

OMG

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.