Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Another question - your childhood vacations

What was a typical vacation when you were a child? Did your family go to unusual places, like tropical places in winter? Or were they like mine where your vacation came once/year, in summer, and we only went where the family car could take us?

I am trying to figure out if you came from a traveling family, or one like mine where I was the sole adventurer...
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Admiral

We were a family of 7, so long vacations were impossible because of cost. but we use to go to the beach almost every sunday in the summer.
We live in montreal which is about 60 miles to the US border. We would go Plattsburgh beach in NY and at night to the border Drive inn, because back then drive ins were against the law in Quebec.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Admiral

We only vacationed once every 2 years when I was young and it was always by car. We lived in Upstate NY and would go to the beach in NH.

Now my Aunt was the traveler. She cruised, went to Europe, a six week around the world with stops in the Pacific and Africa. She would not take these trips every year but about every 3 or 4 years. The only place she went by herself and not with friends was Europe, but did have friends in Holland that she would stay with and travel around with them. She never married and lived with my Grandmother and if my Aunt did not have a big trip planned then the 2 of them would vacation someplace they could get to by car within a day or 2.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Admiral

For about 10 or so years, we would rent the same cottage right on the sand at Hampton Beach, NH for 2 weeks in July. We were always there for my birthday which was cool. It was always the same weeks so we had friends that were also there the same time. (think Wonder Years tv show).

Our second 2 weeks vacation consisted of driving somewhere. These trips were great and comical at the same time. Two parents, four kids, lots of luggage, a cooler for breakfast and lunch food all stuffed into our blue Ford Falcon station wagon. It was a real treat pulling over on the side of a highway and watching my mom make sandwiches. (tuna, peanut butter and jelly, cold cuts etc) We would sit and watch the traffic while we ate. Dinner would usually consists of McDonalds or McDonalds type places. As a treat, one night each week of the vacation we would eat at a "nice" restaurant. The hotels we stayed in weren't the finest but they were always clean, had enough room for all of us, were rated at least 3 stars in tourbooks and ALWAYS had a pool.

These vacations are memories that I will treasure forever.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Admiral

We were poor and didn't get to travel. My summer vacation was playing sandlot baseball all summer. I was very envious of those who were able to tell of their vacations when school started back up in the fall and we had to tell what we did for summer vacation.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

So far just like me...

Packing the car with food "just in case!" - extra water because we had to cross the desert from Phoenix to California. In a good year we went to Disneyland. Usually it was just a week or so in San Diego.

But also - the I-10 between phoenix and the Colorado river was last stretch of that entire highway to be completed in abbout 1982. I was almost 30 before you could drive from Phoenix to LA without going on 2-lane road, and you still have to to get from PHX to San Diego.

Now, my parents did travel some without us kids: Hawaii, New Orleans. But these days travel is much bigger in people's lives than it used to be.

I don't think we EVER took our entire family flying anywhere when I was child. It just never happened.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I have 2 brothers and a sister and we had some incredibly generous grandparents who liked to spend summers at the Jersey shore (Seaside Park) and rented the same house for something like 15 summers. Our parents would come down the shore on the weekends and as their schedules allowed. Looking back those were some of the best days ever...lots of beach time, lots of low paying summer jobs and lots of great memories.
I also remember being about 6 or 7 and our grandparents taking the 4 of us kids to Boston to spend a few weeks with my aunt and her 5 kids.....loved taking the trolley to the Red Sox games and getting ice cream at Brighams.
Our grandparents also took us to see Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall....very cool!
Paul, we never flew anywhere as a family. I didn't fly until I was in high school.....also didn't stay in a hotel until I was 17! My kids look at me like I'm crazy when they hear this stuff.
Angela Z.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Admiral

We lived in Arkansas and most of our vacations were trips to the Florida panhandle where my mother had a brother that we stayed with. Once we took the train and the employees went on strike at midnight and left us at a station in the middle of nowhere. We made it to Florida somehow. Most of the time my mom and I just drove down (well she drove). My dad always had to work so usually it was just the two of us. We both now live here.

Need some cruise help?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
First Mate

Growing up we went to Orlando or St. John's VI in the winter and summer was at Hampton beach in NH (my grandmother owned 3 cottages there) Cheryl, I was right behind the Ashworth Hotel. I also went to camp for anywhere between a month and 9 weeks (loved it).

We take my son to Myrtle Beach to see my in-laws.

Carnival Miracle
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Childhood vacations:
Many drives from NY to Florida, several trips to resorts at Lake George, Cruise on Greek Line: Olympia, Queen Anna Maria, Chandris Line: Amerikanis, Flagship Line: Sea Venture, Summers at the beach house on Fire Island... Long Weekends at Catskill Game Farm..... memories......
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mine were pretty much just like yours, a driving trip up to Wisconsin, some great memories. I did get a trip once to New England with my grandparents and Canada with my grandmother. Funny, when you think back on childhood memories, you do remember the vacations. There were certainly no cruises, those were for rich people.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

We had a "camp" in NH near Newfound Lake in NH. My father bought the land and built the camp out of scrap wood from packing crates and pallets that he brought home from his job. In those days he worked for Ford Motors in Sommerville MA. That was in 1953. It had running water but cold only and the kitchen sink had a hand pump. The bathroom was outside behind a stand of pines. We drove up there most weekends from May till past Labor Day. We always spent 2 weeks in Eastport Maine visiting my grandparents too.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

We had very few vacations when I was a child. Each summer we would take a weekend and travel to a family reunion 200 miles away. That happened every summer.

One vacation I do remember was to the Davis Mountains in West Texas, in the summer. There were 7 of us in an un-air conditioned 1952 Cadillac! Yep, I remember that trip!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

When I was young (from first memory to around eight) there were few "vacations" but many outings to go fishing. It was one of the nice things of living in a farming area with nearby lakes.

When we moved to the "city" we then did summer vacations. Those were in a 19' foot Pathfinder travel trailer. I loved that thing but I can imagine now how cramped it was with two adults and three kids in it. But it had a bathroom. We went all over Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri. Mom and Dad in the front seat and my two brothers and me in the back. We didn't need no stinking seat belts. We'd just turn the back of the station wagon into one giant bed.

Take care,
Mike (Who fondly remembers when Dad tried to teach me how to swim but I fought my way out of the bag)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Admiral

The first summer vacation I remember, I was 8 yrs old and our family went to Ogunquit Maine in a tiny cottage for a week. That was the beginning of my love affair with the sea, and I learned how to swim in the ocean!

My next vacation was 7 years later, when we went to visit my mother's sister in California. What I remember most was being car sick all along the coast highway from San Francisco to L.A., and then getting violently ill on the Teacup ride at Disneyland! I spent the rest of the day in the infirmary...

I also remember a few trips to Burlington and Plattsburgh, one for shopping, and one for the beach. I particularly remember a motel in Burlington, with a drive-in movie across the street (as Earl said earlier, drive-ins were illegal in Quebec at the time). I saw my first drive-in movie there (Planet of the Apes!)

As for cruising, never even heard of it, until the Love Boat on tv, and certainly never dreamed I'd ever be on one!

donna
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Mike,
We never used seat belts either! And us four kids were generally in the station wagon with the windows rolled up (in winter) with mom and dad BOTH SMOKING! In summer time we knew they were smoking when the butts they would fling out the front windows would come flying back in the back windows! YUCK!
Angela Z.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Trips to the bathroom were considered vacations. Early on, in the summer months, every two weeks we'd drive up to Banff for a day trip, swim in the hot springs, picnic lunch and drive home.

When I got to be early teens, we'd actually do a car trip for an entire week just over the border into British Columbia, and stay in a "rustic" motel. Think it was part of the Motel 1 1/2 chain

Thankfully over the years financial situations changed, and we've been lucky to have enjoyed several family vacations on cruise ships with my kids.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
First Mate

We went camping on the islands at lake George. We also went to Wildwood NJ, Disney World, and one trip to Scotland, england and France.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

my family was very poor and vacation was not a term used in our household..we only took one family vacation and that was a driving trip from upstate new york to detroit michigan in 1961 so my parents could attend the national VFW convention

my dad would always say to my mother that when he retired they would do all those neat things and visit all the places she always wanted to go..he died of pancreatic cancer at age 52

the lesson I learned was not to wait until you retire..travel while you have your health and can afford it
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Admiral

One other road trip I remember was in the summer of 1970. I was the last child at home and we took a trip to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. At that time there were 2 motels (only 1 of which had a swimming pool) and 1 hotel in town. When we got to town, the 2 motels were full, so we stayed in the Pagosa Springs Hotel. All night long, I remember the neon sign outside our window, flashing, "POOL, POOL, POOL" in bright red neon! And you could hear the pool hall below us, until 1:00 a.m. These are sweet memories.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Admiral

We had a 24-foot travel trailer and spent every summer at a campground in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Stayed there practically the whole summer for 10 straight years.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Admiral

Cruise Cynic..I will be in Old Orchard Beach next month to visit my brother who retired to there and we will go to Camden to catch a Maine Windjammer weekend cruise to celebrate my birthday and his retirement
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Admiral

As a kid we would get in the car and drive to Maine for a couple of nights each summer. The first night we would always eat at Cook's Lobster House on Bailey's Island, ME - we would stay near Bath or Brunswick, then go to Reid State Park the next day. The second day we would usually spend poking around Boothbay Harbor. My parents were into antiquing - so that would take up a lot of time. I learned real young to bring lots of books to read while waiting for them.

One summer we took a longer trip and took the ferry to Nova Scotia, then drove back home through New Brunswick.

My grandmother travelled quite a bit - visiting her children. Her trips always seemed so exciting - I think I got my wanderlust from her.
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I'm with venice on this one! If you consider going to my aunts house in Pennsylvania once a year a vacation then yes we took vacations. This is why, even though we work alot, I take 4-5 mini vacations a year and try to give my kids some nice experiences/memories. I also tend to spend more than I should for a better experience probably to make up for the vacations I never had. The first real family vacation I took with my immediate family wasn't until I was 21yo to disneyworld. Sad huh!
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Admiral

When I was a kid we spent the last two weeks in August in Ocean City, NJ. We always stayed in the same beachside apartment. I still have quite an affinity for the town, got married there and lived there the first two years of our marriage. We are still just a 5 minute (tourists permitting ) drive from there.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Admiral

we grew up very poor, but I did not know how poor we were untill I went to college and alot of my classmate's went on spring break to either florida or mexico and I spent my spring break at home working in the supermarket to earn tuition money

my classmates would come back with their tans and pictures and stories and ask me how I spent my spring break. When my son was on his annual leave from the USAFA, I made sure I treated him to a well deserve break, which usually was a cruise with his then GF now wife
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Default Another Question - Your Childhood Vacations

We didn't take vacations. I caught the travel bug from a school girlfriend. But I didn't really start traveling until I got married.

Judy
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As a child, a trip to the beach was a good day.....when I had my kids, I voewd they would have nicer memeories of family vacations, then I did.
I think we succeeded:):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

I was very lucky in that I went to the Netherlands almost every summer and from there we travelled all over Europe. We also knew most of the carribean by the time I was ten, and a good part of the states, and into the middle east as well. I did alot of travel before children, just basically continued the way I had grown up, seeing as many places as I could, I love history, so I love travel. With my son, we also have done most of Western Europe, a great deal of the carribean, the states, all of Eastern Canada, Alberta, and we also did alot of camping as he really liked that. We started to cruise a few years ago as it was a change from the usual . We have planned over the next 12 months year an 11 day cruise, a trip to the maritimes and a land trip to the carribean .
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Great replies, everyone ansd a lot of recurring themes. Seems we only had one regular cruiser, who lived in NY City back when the major cruise lines were based there (before the advent of Florida cruising).

It sure sounds like New Hampshire and Vermont got very crowded during the summer, and the overflow went to Maine or Jersey ;-0

Not a lot West Coasters in this crowd, are there?

I did remember my first ship-like experince, the ferry to catalina from somewhere (not sure, I was only six). There wasn't much to do there at the time, we only stayed a few hours.

Seems all of us drove in cars every summer, but we all lived more simply then, didn't we? Think about it. We had one TV, in the family room. Probably had a combo hi-fi set for LPs and radio. No computers, video-game sets, dvd players, HDTVs with surround sound, cable TV.

Some of us bought tape-decks for our cars, and sometimes home systems so we could record our own tapes.

A lot of vacations were "camping".

But also - when you think of what a value cruising can be for a family vacation these days (if you choose to make it so) it isn't much different.

I see a 1 week Alaska cruise for $499 pp, with 3 & 4th in the same cabin for $99 apiece. That is about $1200 for 4 people, 1 week. Of course there are other costs, but costs can be managed.

Or the recently ended Costa sale, $449 pp with an upgrade to oceanview and kids sail free. You can't beat that. You just have to get them in the car and DRIVE to Florida, just like the good old days, except now we have seatbelts.

PS: I remember when my dad had seatbelts installed in the Valiant and the Dodge Dart