Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default When did first fly, & where did you go?

My first flight was my honeymoon back in 1968. Our flight was all of half an hour to NYC! We flew Eastern Airlines, remember the song Yellowbird, it was their theme song. I had enough time for a cup of tea, which as we hit some slight turbulance, the tea came out of the cup, and went back in! But I do remember our excitment of it all!

My next flight was not till 1983. Delta ran a Polaroid promotion, and if you bought this certain model camera, you would get a companion fare for free. Needless to say, I ran around to find the 3. I needed, and let me tell you, I was lucky! The 5 of flew to Florida, for $519.00. The hitch was you could not fly into Orlando, and we were going to Disney..No problemo:):)

Where did you go on your first flight?
Oh and remember actually walking up & down the stairs of the plane. like the movie stars did?:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Admiral

My first flight was when I was 15, and our family took our first "real" vacation, to California, to visit my aunt. It was pretty exciting stuff!

I also remember my kids' first flight, from Montreal to Toronto, all of 55 minutes. They had a blast; I got violently ill, because I foolishly thought that for just 55 mins. I wouldn't need a motion-sickness pill....

donna
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Admiral

My first flight was when I was 16 years old. I went to a Catholic School that had Borders, many from Mexico. One of my best friends was from Mexico City and invited me to fly home with her for a couple weeks that summer - to my amazement my parents let me.

There were a lot of borders from Mexico so we Caravaned up to Dorval Airport in Montreal. I remember changing planes in Chicago. I think we flew Iberia Airlines. It was a huge plane. I got sick on the descent into Mexico City. A few days later her parents flew us to Acapulco a smaller plane and I was able to fly with no airsick bag. Which I felt was a huge accomplishment.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Mine was in 1980, a business trip to Dallas to investigate opening a company branch there. I was 26 and it was in the middle of a record heat wave. Watched Xanadu at the movies while there.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
First Mate

My father was a private pilot. I was told my first flight was when I was a couple month old in a Cessna 182. He was flying when my mother went into labor. They had to have the tower radio him that he better come down and head to the hospital.

We flew to block Island once for dinner. We ended up staying for three days until the fog and weather cleared. He flew from NY to CA and back in a small Cessna. He also did aerobatics (Not with me. I never got up the nerve).

I flew with him for about 30 years until he could no longer pass his physical. Flying was a big part of my life until the early 90s.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Mine was also in 1968 and I flew from Newark NJ to Memphis Tn on Braniff Airlines for college. There was no security whatever in those days, just a gate agent to take your ticket.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

My first flight was from Philadelphia to Orlando when I was 16....I flew as an unaccompanied minor! Rosalynn Carter was at the airport campaigning for Jimmy! I had to make a connection in Atlanta and nearly missed it. My sister picked me up at Orlando and then we drove to her house in Melbourne where I spent spring break. I'd ride her bike from her house in Melbourne over the causeway to Indiatlantic beach while she was taking classes at FIT. That bike ride would probably kill me now!
Angela Z.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Other than when my brother convinced me that a bed sheet made a great parachute and I jumped off the house?

It was when I was nineteen and my three buddies and I decided that we wanted to see the ocean. I had never seen it so we decided we were going to Seattle. Gee: Seattle isn't "on" the ocean.

Two days later we boarded Republic airlines and were off to Seattle. Even in the mid-seventies it was hard to rent a car with cash. I had to do some REALLY smooth talking to get an AVIS rental car. I had to pay three days rental fee up front and take out all of the insurance plus some other waiver.

The hotel we stayed in, the first night, was cheaper than the parking garage we had to use. After that we hit the roads and the ferries and toured the Olympic Peninsula for five days. We would find a little motel wherever we could. In my family room I still have a framed picture of all four of us under the Humptulips, Washington sign.

It was the trip of lifetime. I have been back to the Olympic Peninsula a few times since then and it's one of my favorite parts of the U.S.

To recoup my money for the trip I worked at a motorcycle accessories warehouse, nights and weekends, for the summer but it was worth it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Admiral

My first time flying was in the summer of 1982....I think.....we went to Reno with some friends for a long weekend. I didn't want to fly so when we got checked in we headed straight for a bar.......by the time we got on the plane I'd had a few......as soon as the plane took off I started drinking again.......I didn't care anything about the flight......Larry said it was the worse flight he'd been on........I didn't care.......

Sharon
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Admiral

In the summer of 1963 on an American Airlines Convair 990 between Chicago and Newark. I'd driven out to attend a trade show in Chicago and to look over the college I'd be attending that fall. Wound up flying home.

I'd flown in small private planes before that, but that was my first airliner.

BTW Trip, Eastern Airlines was not the airline of the Yellowbirds. The Yellowbirds were Northeast Airlines, which disappeared even before Eastern. I flew them both often. Eastern's livery was white with two-tone blue. Northeast was yellow and white
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Trip, I was thinking about this very thing the other day, when Paul asked about family vacations!

My first flight was in June of 1971. I was 18 and had just graduated high school. We attended the annual family reunion and I went home with an Aunt and Uncle and my cousins to visit for a week in Odessa, Texas. That is about 500 miles from Houston, if you drive it. I flew home. I don't recall exactly, but I think I flew Trans Texas Airline (?) TTA?

Seems like Houson Hobby had a jet-way that the plane pulled up to, but in Odessa, they rolled the steps up to the plane.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Mam,
My first flight wasn't very long! It happened when Joyce placed her foot in the area where I sit! A most unpleasant journey!
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

First flight was in first year of life, KLM to and from Holland and Canada, and did that every year till I was about 23. Then about every 3 years since then, scedualed to go either 2008-2009 next.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Default Where Dikd You First Fly and Where Did You Go?

I flew from Minneapolis to NYC with a girlfrfiend on a Northwest Airlines Stratocruiser. That was in the late fifties, or maybe early sixties.

Judy
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ar you are right,& I had my airline wrong..We flew Northeast! When we moved into our first apartment, the story goes, the man who suggested that song as a themesong, had just moved out..I was told, all they gave him were yellow roses!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

My first flight was when I was 23. I flew from Atlanta to Jacksonville, on Eastern Airlines to meet my family, who were already on vacation. I didn't like flying, and since I was going to go to school, and work and get old in Atlanta, I figured I would just never fly again.

I sure didn't know what my future would be.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Admiral

My first flight was when I went on my first cruise. 4 days on the Mardi gras 1986 out of Miami.
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Admiral

My first flight was in 1981. I flew to Sacramento. It was on Southwest Airlines. I think I paid $59 round trip. In those days we called Southwest Airlines the paperbag 'cause the filghts were so cheap.
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Default DC

Oakland, California to Dulles, Virginia about '71 to see Washington, DC with my grandmother. Was back there in March and took my coworker to see places I still recalled the location of even after 36 years. Took kiddo there in '05 to see his cousin. The Lincoln Memorial was a big hit. 8)

Dave
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Spring of '92, the DW and I won a trip to the Bahamas, so we flew from Nashville to Freeport and back. First and only time I have flown. Will probably stay that way too! The flight wasn't too bad, except for coming through a thunderstorm on the way back. The only bad thing about the flight was that it was at night both times. Now, I just need to get my first cruise experience going!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Admiral

My first flight was in 1981 when my parents and I went to watch my brother graduate from the Naval Academy in Orlando. We flew Piedmont Airlines. My mom and I had never flown before. My poor dad's hands were crushed from us squeezing them the whole time.

Since then I have flown more times than I can count.

My son, on the other hand, had his first flight from Boston to Denver when he was 3 months. My parents and I were going to my cousin's so my parents could be godparents for their son born the day after my son. It was a very uneventful flight since he slept almost the whole flight. He did the same thing on the return flight a week later.
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My first flight was in April 1969 to Orlando from Boston. I flew Eastern Airlines. I was leaving home to go live with my best friend in Apopka Florida. We stayed there just a few weeks then moved on to Lakeland. We found jobs and lived in a nice little house in the Crystal Lake section of town. Then it was a nice residential area. In the fall I was getting homesick for Boston. I knew my Mother was busy baking all the goodies for the holidays. The idea of the holidays without family did me in. In November I returned to Boston. All these years later I chose to relocate to Lakeland because of that time. The city has changed a lot, it has grown tremendously. Crystal Lake is no longer the nice quiet neighborhood it used to be. I am learning my way around and enjoying the changes brought by time.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 7th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Admiral

My first flight was from Stockholm to Copenhagen on SAS when I was a teen-ager and my parents took us on an 8 week trip to Europe. Started on the Queen Mary - marvelous ship.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

Gee I don't remember the year but it was in the late 60's or early 70's, I was a kid and dad took my brother and I up on a twin engine out at the county fair. One of those pay some money and take a half hour flight things, so we really didn't go anywhere, just went up flew around and came back to the airport. Which by the way was one of those grass landing strips out in the countryside of southern Nebraska.

Then my next one was to Europe the year after I graduated High School in '78. OK for those of you who are counting the years to figure out how old I am , knock it off. So yeah anyway, I went to go stay for 6 weeks with my brother who was stationed in Germany at the time. There have been a few others since then.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

My First flight was in 1964, It was a flight from Florida to New York, then I had to walk to New Jersey...
R.I.P.
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Admiral

My first flight was in 1971. I took sky diving lessons. I jumped a total of 6 times and then found out I was pregnant with my second child (a son). My first commerical flight was in 1978 to Las Vegas. It was different than the first 6. I kept saying, "This is my 7th time taking off and my 1st time landing. I LOVE TO FLY!

Darlene from Pittsburgh
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Passenger

My first flight was in 1969 when my father took me to see my grandparents in Germany. It was the first and last time I ever was able to meet them.

Scoutdad
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

my first flight was in 1976 from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh on Eastern

But my very best first flight was when my son took me up in his glider..I'll never forget that
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
First Mate

My first flight was when I was six weeks old. My dad was a private pilot, and it was his Cessna. I became his flying buddy when I was growing up. We would fly to various locations in Texas. When I was about eleven,
he flew the family (5 total) to a cabin in Arkansas. It is a memorable vacation because when we got to our destination, we were in the middle of a thunderstorm. The "landing strip" was a large field or pasture and right in the middle was a donkey that wouldn't move. My younger brother and sister and I thought this was so cool. Lightening was all around us and the rain was horrible. My dad kept circling the field, but that donkey would not move. He finally decided to try to land, and that convinced him to get out of the way. My mom was so traumatized by the trip that she spent most of that week in bed. I think it almost gave her a nervous breakdown.

My mom was not adventurous. Another time there was an explosion on a ship in the Houston Ship Channel. My dad decided to take my brother and myself up to take a look. I remember my mom calling the tower. They radioed us with the message that mom wanted her kids out of that plane. I remember my dad saying, thanks for the message. He then turned off the radio. The aviation rules were obviously a lot different in those days. Now that I am older, I wonder what was he thinking!
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I was 8 ('71) or 9 ('72) after dad came back from Nam and we were stationed in Fulda Germany.. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. We flew from N. Carolina to Germany.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011