Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Default The Big 3 Car Companies...Rest In Peace

an article in the USA today indicated for the first time in our history, the "big 3" will sell less than 50% of the new car market..let's put aside all of the issues contributing to this (and not comment that most imports are made in America etc) and pause for a moment of silence, reflection and remembering the good times :

I am a member of the classic baby boomer generation and by the way a life long VW beetle disciple, but I remember as a teenager in the late 60's all the Chevy commercials (see the USA in a Chevrolet), when the Mustang was the king of the pony cars, when the GTO was the hog, when Dodge built the Charger, the Plymouth Roadrunner, the Oldsmobile Cutless, was the #1 selling car, and if you owned a "cheap" import (datsun,toyota,fiat) you were laughed out the parking lot on a saturday night (needles to say I never got the girls in my 59 beetle with the hole in the floorboard)....ahh but times have changes..a Lexus defines luxury (what happen to the cadillac, or the buick 225), a Toyota represents quality and American brand cars are consider not up to the quality of those brands from overseas (although quality reports indicate otherwise)

OK, what type of car do you have your first backseat kiss (or otherwise) VBG !!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Admiral

When I was a freshman in high school around 1961, my uncle was sheriff in my home county. In addition to his ' 61 ford police car, he had a 1953 Cadillac that was big as a boxcar. The back seat was like sitting on a sofa. My first cousin would drive, with his date up front and I would play bigshot with my date in the back. Boy what a time we had-- his dad/my uncle as sheriff--- tooling around in a large Cadillac with girls and listening to John R.
" coming at you from WLAC in Nashville, Tenn. " on the late night radio.

AAhh-- Lura--( a junior and me a freshman ) and Wanda--another junior--
maybe it was the Cadillac but we liked to think it was our good looks and charm !! Yes !!
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Admiral

A 1963 Dodge Polara police intercepter.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Admiral

I worked in the automotive industry for 8 years and there was a time when the big 3 could sell anything they could get off the lot so quality was not as big of an issue as it is today. That all changed in the late 70's and early 80's and quality became a bigger issue when the Japanese cars began eating up market share. I've always owned American made cars while the wife has always owned Japanese cars and everyone of her cars were inferior to mine and died long before mine.

Right now she drives a Honda SUV which is so loud you have to crank up the radio so high to hear the music that we have already replaced the speakers in it once, and it's only a 2005 model. The air conditioning takes forever to cool down the vehicle. It only gets 19 mpg and the brakes were worn out at 40,000 miles.

I'll stick to my Buicks, Oldmobiles, and Fords.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Aye Thomas, American it is.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.