Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Regent Seven Seas Changes Smoking Policy

Another Cruise Line has tightened their smoking policy:

This is the statement from Regent Seven Seas Cruise Line:

The issue of smoking on board cruise ships has become quite a hot topic in our industry. And while Regent Seven Seas Cruises is respectful of the lifestyle choices of our guests and will always give smokers a warm welcome, we also recognize the need to restrict where smoking is permitted so as not to cause discomfort to, or provide a health or safety hazard for, the majority of our guests who do not smoke.

In light of continuing legislative changes in smoking policies around the world as well as the health and safety issues involved, RSSC will be changing our smoking policy in suites, staterooms and on private balconies. Not only does smoking present a fire hazard, but it is also an inconvenience to other guests as the smoke, or its odor, invades surrounding suites, balconies and public areas, creating discomfort for the guests in these areas.

Smoking will therefore be prohibited in all suites, staterooms and balconies fleet-wide. This change will take effect on the following dates:

Seven Seas Voyager: December 21, 2007
Seven Seas Mariner: December 21, 2007
Seven Seas Navigator: December 27, 2007
Paul Gauguin: December 29, 2007
Failure to comply with this ban will result in guests being asked to leave the ship at their expense, without refund or credit for the unused portion of their cruise.

This decision was made after much deliberation, and we would appreciate your assistance in communicating our new policy to your clients. Partners with clients booked on voyages after the policy takes effect will receive additional communications from Regent later this month.

To view our entire smoking policy, including a detailed list of public rooms/areas where guests can smoke, please click here.

Thank you for your support of Regent Seven Seas. We look forward to continuing to welcome your clients aboard our ships and providing them with The Regent Experience.

Kind Regards,

Mark S. Conroy
President, Regent

Even though I'm a smoker I do see that the trend to this will become industry wide within the next two to three years. I don't see it as a bad thing as long as there is a reasonable area for smokers to smoke.

Oceania, Azamara have similar smoking policies.

What are your thoughts on this?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Mike, I also agree that those who choose to smoke should have reasonable access to a place to do so. I am not a smoker and never have been but I do respect peoples' choices.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Admiral

This news did cause a bit of an uproar onboard Seven Seas Voyager this past week. One thing to note is that Regent, unlike the earlier report from HAL, is informing passengers now of a policy that will be implemented in late December; therefore, everyone is outside of their cancellation period.

This is going to cost Regent a lot of business untill other cruise lines follow suit. It will be interesting to see if, and when, Seabourn, Silversea, and Crystal ban smoking in cabins and balconies.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

I will not sail any line that bans smoking on a balcony.Glad they notified people ahead of time! Proper way to handle it.
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I recall Kuki got a quote from Regent when he did his article on changing smoking policies, and Regent said that several European countries were considering passing laws about smoking on ships anyway, and if that happens every cruise line that wants to dock on those countries will be forced to change their policies. This could go industry-wide before you know it.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Passenger

well, it makes me glad I am taking my first and what may end up being my last cruise before this policy effects other lines.

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Familiar Face

Default Regent Seven Seas Smoking

The sooner this policy becomes industry- wide, the better. Smoking policies ned to be tightened.

Bill
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Regent Seven Seas Changes Smoking Policy

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Another Cruise Line has tightened their smoking policy:

This is the statement from Regent Seven Seas Cruise Line:

The issue of smoking on board cruise ships has become quite a hot topic in our industry. And while Regent Seven Seas Cruises is respectful of the lifestyle choices of our guests and will always give smokers a warm welcome, we also recognize the need to restrict where smoking is permitted so as not to cause discomfort to, or provide a health or safety hazard for, the majority of our guests who do not smoke.

In light of continuing legislative changes in smoking policies around the world as well as the health and safety issues involved, RSSC will be changing our smoking policy in suites, staterooms and on private balconies. Not only does smoking present a fire hazard, but it is also an inconvenience to other guests as the smoke, or its odor, invades surrounding suites, balconies and public areas, creating discomfort for the guests in these areas.

Smoking will therefore be prohibited in all suites, staterooms and balconies fleet-wide. This change will take effect on the following dates:

Seven Seas Voyager: December 21, 2007
Seven Seas Mariner: December 21, 2007
Seven Seas Navigator: December 27, 2007
Paul Gauguin: December 29, 2007
Failure to comply with this ban will result in guests being asked to leave the ship at their expense, without refund or credit for the unused portion of their cruise.

This decision was made after much deliberation, and we would appreciate your assistance in communicating our new policy to your clients. Partners with clients booked on voyages after the policy takes effect will receive additional communications from Regent later this month.

To view our entire smoking policy, including a detailed list of public rooms/areas where guests can smoke, please click here.

Thank you for your support of Regent Seven Seas. We look forward to continuing to welcome your clients aboard our ships and providing them with The Regent Experience.

Kind Regards,

Mark S. Conroy
President, Regent

Even though I'm a smoker I do see that the trend to this will become industry wide within the next two to three years. I don't see it as a bad thing as long as there is a reasonable area for smokers to smoke.

Oceania, Azamara have similar smoking policies.

What are your thoughts on this?
This seems to follow a general trend of tightening smoking bans ashore. Here in Massachusetts, it is now illegal to smoke in any workplace -- including all barrooms -- and some communities also have enacted bans on smoking outdoors, so you cannot just step outside and light up.

Actually, there's such a complicated labyrinth or rules right now that it's nearly impossible to keep track of where smoking is allowed and where it's banned. May I propose a radical simplification?

>> 1. Due to the fact that discarded smoking materials are the cause of many wildfires, smoking shall be forbidden out of doors (including within open structures).

>> 2. Due to the hazards to health or others posed by smoke in a confined area through so-called "passive smoking," smoking shall be forbidden within any cave and any building or other enclosed structure.

>> 3. Due to the likelihood of both direct burn injury and ignition of leaking flammable liquids from ignited smoking materials in the event of an accident, smoking shall be forbidden in any vessel, vehicle, or other conveyance.

And, of course, smoking of cigarattes, cigars, and pipes shall be lawful everywhere else!

Norm.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I recall Kuki got a quote from Regent when he did his article on changing smoking policies, and Regent said that several European countries were considering passing laws about smoking on ships anyway, and if that happens every cruise line that wants to dock on those countries will be forced to change their policies. This could go industry-wide before you know it.
The funny thing about this, though, is that on another luxury cruise talk board, people reported attending a couple of meetings with Mark Conroy while on Regent's recent World Cruise during which this exact topic came up. Apparently, Mr. Conroy pretty much assured them that Regent wanted to accommodate its smoking guests and was even considering building some sort of enclosure to one of its restaurants to more conveniently allow smoking. He only mentioned the possibility of banning smoking in cabins and on balconies if legislation so required. Now, Regent does an about face with this policy. Lots of loyal Regent cruisers are steamed about this, and I hear many of them have been cancelling future cruises on the line.

Personally, I think Regent was way premature in instituting this policy. They should have waited until legislation forced the issue and all cruise lines had to comply.

Well, I know I'll never be sailing Regent now. I might be able to understand prohibiting smoking on balconies in that the second hand smoke could bother other folks who want to enjoy adjoining balconies. But prohibiting smoking in a cabin, to me, is outright dumb, not to mention difficult to enforce. What business is it of anyone's if I want to enjoy a cigarette with my morning coffee? Who the heck am I bothering other than the folks I may be sharing that cabin with?

I hope you're wrong about other cruise lines following suit ... at least in the immediate future.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Beginner

I book luxury cruises for a living and I can tell you we get complaints galore from non-smokers who hate smoke wafting under the door into their cabin from connecting/adjoining cabins. I have experienced this in hotels also. There are numerous places to smoke onboard and you're not going to be in your cabin all the time anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is. You'd also be out on excursions at various ports where you can smoke too.
This will become industry wide, just as it did in the airline industry. European cruise lines already have non-smoking policies, by the way, in spite of the perception that all Europeans smoke. For the small minority of people who would cancel a cruise on a fabulous cruise line for this reason, the cruise line will gain more people who didn't sail previously because of the smoke they were forced to breath under the door and while out on their balcony.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Said
It looks like Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and Norwegian Cruise Lines have implemented tighter restrictions on their smoking policies for 2008. I may be correct on my prediction but a little long on my time frame. It seems it's happening faster than I predicted.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Mike, Royal Caribbean's policy still allows smoking on balconies; a big difference with Regent. It will be interesting to see if either SOLAS or local laws (e.g., US or EU) are changed to outlaw smoking on balconies and, if so, how long a period the cruise lines have to implement the change.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Admiral

There is no reason to think that a trend that has become a fact of life in many "land places", wont affect cruise ships. I think there needs to be designated area's for smokers, about 20% now of the population, that is for sure, at the same time I look very forward to not inhaling other peoples smoke, or having cigerette ash fly onto me sitting at the pool......just as I welcomed the changes "on land". Even in some countries in Europe that I thought would never "butt out" have. I emphasize, there has to be area's smokers can smoke, that is only fair and there has to be fair warning of changes in policy.
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Mike, Royal Caribbean's policy still allows smoking on balconies; a big difference with Regent.
That's what I find very, very surprising. I would think that smoking on one's balcony could present bigger problems that smoking in one's cabin. On the balcony, you first of all have the risk of a higher degree of fire hazard since you have the potential for high winds, etc. You could also have more combustible and flammable materials on a balcony. Finally, smoking on one's balcony risks bothering other passengers. I know that if I was a non-smoker who maybe had an allegy to smoke, and I paid a mint for a suite with a balcony, I'd be quite a bit upset if the people on the balcony above me were heavy smokers who spent a lot of time out there. Now, in effect, I have a balcony I paid big bucks for, but can't comfortably use.

It would seem to make a lot more sense to me to allow smoking in the staterooms, but prohibit it on balconies.

The whole policy on RCI just doesn't seem to make sense. While I strongly disagree with any cruise line prohibiting smoking in cabins or on balconies, it would seem to me that at least Regent's policy is understandable. They want to eliminate smoking in most areas on their ships. But RCI's policy leaves me totally baffled. Are they continuiing to allow smoking on the balconies so as to "encourage" smokers to book these more expensive accommodations?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Passenger

I smoke (very sorry) and I try to be considerate to none smokers. To make everyone happy the cruise lines need to operate a schedual where smoking is allowed one cruise per month. We smokers would be glad to arrange our vacations to fit.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Kryos - I totally agree. We book a balcony cabin paying the extra to be able to enjoy sitting out in the 'fresh' air and enjoying our cruise. We have had that interferred with on several cruises because the cabin around us have smokers that smoke on the balcony. Even ashes on our balcony chairs and table.... yuck !!! At that point I would much rather have them smoking in their rooms and hope that the cruise line can elimate the smell for the next passengers (which they seem to do a really great job at).

Also the fire on the Star Princess several years ago was believed to be caused by a smoker - suspected of thowing the cigarette butt from the balcony.

Saltydog - I truly appricate considerate smokers but here is what is difficult. Smoking on elevators. What chance does a non-smoker have especially those with asthma or other lung issues. How about the guy that was smoking on the 'non smoking' side of the ship right next to the 'non-smoking' sign. When asked to go the to smoking side of the ship (by a passenger) - the response - what are they going to do through me off the cruise (becuase it was the last night of the cruise). Response - I would like to !!! There will always be rude and inconsiderate people and dealing with them is the difficulty.

It's really a persons right to enjoy smoking but it's also the rights of people that don't smoke not to be infringed on. So having areas for smoking is necessary but also having the people that smoke abide by those - willing - is necessary. When they don't then the need to take responsbility for their actions and accept the consequences.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox