Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Oh Man! Such good memories!

I remember when it was safe to ride our bikes miles to the nearest country store to buy a piece of candy or an ice cream bar; now I have to watch when my granddaughter rides her bike the 1 block from her house to mine just to make sure she makes it ok.

And does anyone remember those big lollipops than had coins hidden in the middle like a tootsie pop has chocolate? These had real money and you never knew if it was going to be a penny or a half-dollar, but it was a great treat!

Here's to the Good Old Days!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Cathy, I don't remember that candy but I do remember Bonomo's Turkish Taffy...they don't manufacture it anymore. We used to put it in the freezer then crack it. When we did get our hands on a nickel by doing chores, we'd stand in front of that candy counter for a long time deciding which one to purchase with our hard earned nickel.
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One thing that I loved, was the fact that the Bookmobile came to our neighborhood!

Other things that came to us, were kiddie rides, like the whip.....Sol the fruitman, Cushmans Bakery, & White Bros. Milk. We also had a peddler, who's name was Assad...I remember my Mother bought me a blue furry bathrobe, it cost $12.00, which back then, was pricey....I felt like a princess, and wore it for years!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Sounds like that "Do You Remember These" song.

Baseball cards, and riding to Little League games in the back of the coach's pickup truck. It was legal then, and we all survived somehow.

Making the biggest explosions you could with the chemistry set you got for Christmas. (And we all survived somehow).

Cherry Cokes at the fountain.

Bank Day at school where we brought in our quarters and watched them grow in our bankbooks.

Milk money.

Telling your parents that the parent-teacher conference had been rescheduled when it really hadn't (almost didn't survive that one).

My Weekly Reader

Movie candy: Mounds, Almond Joy, Milk Duds, Chuckles, Goobers, Raisinets, Mason Mints, Dots, Good 'n' Plenty, Malted Milk Balls, Mr. Goodbar, Butterfinger, Milky Way, Snickers, PayDay, M&M's, Mary Janes, to name a few.

Hay rides, the church youth group kind.

Hay rides, the "roll in the hay" kind. (And we all survived somehow).

Oh, and on the Saturday afternoon at the movies front, I was lucky enough to be a projectionist at our local theater from the time I was 14. I always used to pull the Saturday afternoon kiddie show which usually featured at least 10 cartoons. I had a very good system for running off the cartoons in a way that prevented getting confused and running the same one twice. But one day I DID run the same one twice. Why? The film exchange had messed up and sent me two prints of the same cartoon. Hundreds of irate kids stormed the projection booth chanting "We already saw that one!" I got to the door just in time to lock it before I was set upon and killed. From then on I always locked the door on Saturday afternoons. My favorite Saturday show was 10 cartoons, a Three Stooges short (and we survived somehow), and King Kong. Now that's goin' to the movies!
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Admiral

lawn darts

sled riding on anything and I mean anything we could get our hands on

taking family trips in the car and actually using the "rest areas" to rest and have picnics - not just for the restrooms.

banana seats, sissy bars and chopped forks on our bikes

going to "grandmas" for the summer
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Getting out of the car to open the garage door. There were no automatic openers back then.
How old are you? My parents had a garage door opener. It sat in the back seat of the car and whenever the car pulled into the driveway, my dad said, "Boy, get out and open the door!"

Oh, and how about gasoline for 19.9 cents per gallon and your choices were regular or ethyl!

And those movies you guys are talking about were only 25 cents!

Mike

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AR:

Your memories hit home closer than anyone else's. Especially the Weekly Reader and Bank Day at school. I loved the Weekly Reader and each Friday I had my Farmers and Mechanics Bank envelope ready. It was a thrill to have a "paper" dollar tucked inside.

Unfortunately a "Roll In the Hay" for me was dropping bales down from the hayloft for feed or falling in cattle bedding.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Admiral

I too loved the Weekly Reader, wasn't there a squirrel as spokesman for it or something? Wednesdays, was Stamp Day...when we had to draw, yellow paper meant it was just another assignment, but when we got the "white paper", now that was a big deal!

Buying school supplies in August, and deciding what to wear for the first day of school..

One steamy September morning, the first day of school, my gf & I who lived next door, were up early..Her Dad had pulled up flagstone, to pave over, and lots of snails were around..We poured salt on them & watched them melt....UGH!, rotten kids!

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Skate Keys hung around your neck with a shoe string.

Ice creams called push ups. They were usually sherbert.

Having to come home at night, when the street lights came on.

Oh my gosh, I had forgotten about all about skate keys...And YES...I did hang mine around my neck too...only we used just plain string. Thanks Luanne for pricking that great memory!

I remember the excitement of walking to the Library and sitting for hours reading, and then taking home as many books as I could carry. We were too poor for a TV in those days so we were forced to read! I'm still an avid reader to this day.

Remember Gym class?

I remember square dancing for the first time with a boy as part of our Gym class. I think we were in 7th grade, and to this day, I think the Gym teachers did it to torture us!

Oh...and having to haul my violin on and off the school bus for music class...I was so embarrassed!
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Admiral

OK I'll try some. How about pixie stix and bubble up. Helms bakery trucks and buried treasure ice cream with a toy figure on the stick. Also braiding lanyards and cross country tennis shoes. Red Ball jets and PF fliers. The milkman who delivered to your doorstep......
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Admiral

ok everyone. i guess i am the youngun of the bunch cause most of these are either beyond or way beyond my time. since im 39 here is somethings that i remember. i remember having the big comb sticking out of my pants back pocket, i do remember full serve gas stations (never to be seen or heard from again unless you live in oregon they still pump it for you), i remember the big water shortage and those bumper stickers came out saying "save water, shower with a friend", and i remember that it was a big scandal when a fellow 8th grader had a hickey on her neck, and i remember riding the bus for 10 cents.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have been an avid reader since childhood. I had a large collection of Nancy Drew Mysteries. My Aunt always gave me books for my birthday and Christmas. I remember going to the library and reading for hours on a Saturday. I would bring home huge poetry books. I loved poetry then and still do. I wrote poems since elementary school. I still write poems when the mood strikes. Do kids still go to the library?
I remember where I was when President Kennedy was assasinated..........Do you? I remember the little boy, JFK Jr saluting his fathers casket. I remember "Sputnik" in the 50's but I was way too young to really understand it. I remember jets breaking the sound barrier. BOOM and the whole house shook. I remember as a Girl Scout proudly carrying the Flag when I was marching in the Memorial Day parade. I remember the hats we wore on Easter, do girls still wear hats? We wore white gloves too. I remember taking my wagon and going house to house to collect "tonic" bottles to trade in for candy at the store.
Massachusetts people do you remember Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsberg? He was a DJ on WMEX 1510 Boston? I remember going to Adventure Car Hop in Saugus to get the special of the week that was always served with a 45 RPM record.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Admiral

I remember the Weekly Reader also. I was in accelerated classes and had reading assignments in Reading where we had to "read" a story that was shown by a projector that revealed one one at a time and had different speeds on it. I was in the top group and can still read fast to this day.

Do any of you remember a soft drink powder called "Fizzies"? You poured it into a glass of water and it fizzed and made a flavored drink.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Adventure carhop is the place to go, for food that's always right! you must remember Chickland:)

Laura, Nancy was my fave too, and books cost a dollar!

New Englanders, how about Big Brother Bob Emory, or Major Mudd & Bozo, I was a fan, and was on 2 of the above!

Orbits, Mamouth Mart, Bradlees, Zayres, Citimart, Raymonds, R H Stearn, [I worked there]Ghilcrists macaroons, or Jordan marsh's famous blueberry muffins. Woolwoths, Kresge's, that had teh 29 cent sub sandwich..Wilbars Shoes.I worked there too!

Look how much we have had, all for free:):) Don't need a GPS to walk down Memory Lane:)

Old July 10th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Laura--

Far as I can tell the only time kids go to the library these days is when their puters break down and they need to, like, get online dude, 'cause they, like, can't get bummed out by bein' behind on their e-mail.

Everybody remembers where they were when Kennedy was killed. I was in my first few months of college, and I was the "new guy" at the radio station. So I got saddled with running classical music all night until sign-off, because all stations had suspended regular programming. I don't think I've ever been more alone than I was in that control room that night, watching the turntable spin Mozart's Requiem and thinking about what had happened. I picked up the phone and called my parents, a thousand miles away. They felt the same way.

I remember Sputnik too. We could see it at twilight during our sandlot baseball games just before we had to go home for dinner. Our 7th grade teacher assigned us to write poems about it.

Other stuff:

We had a bread man too, and a milkman. Fortunately I'm too young to have had an ice man.

What about the jelly jars that you saved and used as milk glasses. When you drank up you could see the picture of Goofy etched in the bottom of the glass.

Mister Softee trucks that played that hideous little tune over and over and over. It was a good strategy, because our parents would give us money to get ice cream just so the damn truck would leave. I'm sure that was the idea behind the music. However, dozens of surviving Mr. Softee drivers are now in mental institutions.

Watching Howdy Doody, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, and--in New York metro--the Merry Mailman and Officer Joe Bolton, who ran Stooge reels. He always had a clueless little kid from the audience come up and start the phony projector in his "station house." I even remember Ding Dong School with Miss Frances. (Romper Room came later).
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Black and white television, time before television in homes, more recently... cell phones that we carried in a bag over our shoulders.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Nutty Knoters
Creepy Crawlers
Rat Fink Funny Car models (and models in general – anyone still build models?)
BB guns (You’ll put your eye out kid)
Balsa Wood Airplanes (Some with rubber band powered propellers)
Playing outdoors, especially in the summer
A “Summer Haircut� – usually a buzz cut
Family game night
TV dinners in aluminum trays
45 singles and vinyl LPs
Lotion to help you tan darker
Music on AM Radio (Cousin Brucie!)
Riding our bikes to the store to but candy with our meager allowance
PFC Flyers
Neighborhood kids mowed lawns and raked leaves – not yard services
Telephones with dials
Rude behavior was not glamorized, it was looked down upon
More fun, fewer anxieties

Rabbit ears on the TV – and only 3 or 4 channels

When presidential speeches were on, it was on EVERY channel, and

The ONLY children’s programming was Saturday morning, and we all got up early to sit on the floor in front of the TV

And….

No Blackberries, Cable, Satellite, Internet, Faxes, Cell phones, microwaves, e-mail, spam, CDs, DVDs, VCRs, - The list goes on and on……

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

now i remember that stuff. i remember when vcrs first came out and they were like $1000 plus and the unit was huge and in beta only. when i first started working in pharmacy we didnt have a computer just two typewriters (one for rxs and one for insurance claim forms). we always had a stack of rx file folders by the phone waiting for refill oks from the mds. when we did get a computer we called it "the beast" cause it took up a whole room and if you forgot and left it on oh boy was it hot the next day. it took 25-30 5 1/4" floppy disks to back it up.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

How about suicide knobs? Those little gushy trolls that would hang from the mirror? The Ramblers with the seats that go down? Drive ins where they gave you the disc mosquito repellent?

Do you remember ignitions on the left side of the wheel, or push button starters?

I can vividly remember the material on the ceiling of my Fathers 55 Buick..Sort of a soft beige bumpy texture, and the side straps to hold on!

And the horns on cars, were chrome circles...so easy to blast the bum in front of you, unlike the 2 places to press now! You can get killed looking where to bloody press!!!

Done for now:):)

Old July 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Captain

Two words....THE FONZ!
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Admiral

When we lived in St Louis, we played a game called bottle cap baseball. We saved all our bottle caps and we would take an old broom stick and play. The pitcher would sail the bottle cap to you and you would TRY to hit it. After a while you get pretty good at it.
I remember when we all got around the tv and watched Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel. Paladin(sp) was his name.
Have Gun Will Travel reads the card of man. That is how it would start.
Then there was SugarFoot, Branded, the 20 mule team Borax show which had Ronald Regan as the host of it. Not sure what the name of it was.
Charlie's Chips..you know? The guy who would deliver the "Charlie's Chips"in a very large metal container. He was just like the milk man, except with potato chips.
I remember the original Bush stadium in St Louis and was at the last game played in it. We were at the "NEW" bush stadium when it opened. That stadium has since been torn down for a "NEWER" stadium.
Back then, bleacher seats were $2.00 and a round trip bus ticket to the shopping center for .50 cents.
Bread was just a nickle a loaf..problem is...no one had a nickle.
I am not quite that old though.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Admiral

"Palladin, Palladin, where will you roam? Palladin, Palladin, far, far from home". One of my most favorite old shows.

My '63 Dodge had the starter on the left and the push button transmission there also. The parking gear was a level that went, horizontally, from left to right. Remember the transmission gear shift in the steering wheel of the Edsel? I have a 1955 Ford truck with the push button starter on the left side of the dash. Chevrolet trucks had the push button starter on the floor board to the right of the accelerator pedal (gas pedal) . Vacuum powered windshield wipers. Steering wheels the size of VW beetles.

Old July 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

So many memories just came flying back to me. I remember all of them. We used baby oil and iodine mixed together to get that great tan. We were frying ourselves.
I remember using pink foam culers in my hair. We would iron our hair to make it straight. Beer was to "set" your hair with, we never took a drink of that! Dip-it-dee-do was a hair gel. Coal being delivered to the house for heat. Home made everything...root beer, taffy, fudge, potato candy and so much more.
How about candy dots on strips of licorice(sp)? Wax fill pop bottles or long sticks. Penny candy. Real cream of soda made with soda and vanilla. Vanilla coke and cherry coke made with cherry syrup.
Man I could go on forever here.....
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Wow..talk about memories..my Dad had a 55 Ford Truck with rocker panels made out of wood, that actually rotted in the cold of the winter..our first new car was a ford falcon station wagon and I did not believe it was built on the same chasis as the mustang

American Bandstand with Dick Clark came on the tv on Saturday morning...but I much preferred Alan Freed on Friday afternoons

on the back of my Sad Sack comic books, you could order 799 pieces of plastic Civil War Troops and recreate your own Battle of Gettysburg in my mother's flower garden

The big night out in the fall, was when the FFA (future farmer's of america) had it's annual fall festival and all the "cool" boys wore FFA blue jackets and there was a hayride

Speed Racer and Clutch Cargo and Fireball XL-5 were the hit cartoons

my confirmation suit was purchased at Robert Halls

your teacher actually brought home your school work if you were out sick for more then a week

a saturday night bath in front of the stove in a metal tub

Hi Karate was the smell of the day in the boys locker rooms when you did not have time to shower after gym class

the first local boy to die in Vietnam in 1963 and your parents could not tell you where Vietnam was located on the map

pong was the red hot video game of choice

your socks match your belt and suspenders...bleeding madras (sp) matching outfits were the hit of the day

you gave the girl that you wanted to go steady with, matching ID braclets with both your names on it
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

I forgot about "going steady" rings. Stocking with garder belts, and not for the sexy part of it, it was because that was it. Petti pants. These were like a slip, but short pants. Going out with curlers in your hair, except you had to wear a scarf also. Needing something on your head when you went to church(girls) Chapple veils or even a kleneex held on with a bobby pin.
Playing buck buck agains a tree or pole. Playing fox and the geese in thedeep end of the pool, a big public pool where you couldn't stand.
Raiding the gardens for the tomatoes. You always had a salt shaker with you. You ate what you picked and did destroy anything.
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Ok, the first one to sing the lyrics to the Robert Hall commerial, wins an all expense paid, round the world cruise....I SWEAR:):)

Old July 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
"Palladin, Palladin, where will you roam? Palladin, Palladin, far, far from home". One of my most favorite old shows.

My '63 Dodge had the starter on the left and the push button transmission there also. The parking gear was a level that went, horizontally, from left to right. Remember the transmission gear shift in the steering wheel of the Edsel? I have a 1955 Ford truck with the push button starter on the left side of the dash. Chevrolet trucks had the push button starter on the floor board to the right of the accelerator pedal (gas pedal) . Vacuum powered windshield wipers. Steering wheels the size of VW beetles.
I loved that show, Paladin! Remember the old TV show Gun Smoke?

How 'bout the first time Star Trek ran...We were visiting my cousin who had a TV and my dad just couldn't stand the show, but I was hooked.

We used to have special assembly days in Junior High...that's where I got my first taste of Science Fiction watching 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'

Anybody go to the Roller Rink? We'd go on Saturday night.

I remember saving box tops to order 'special decoder' rings...that was really disappointing! I think it was so many box tops and 50 cents.

How about Poddle skirts? Or those big felt skirts that you had to wear with those starch the slips.

I remember my first bra...my mom called it a training bra (I have no idea why. I mean what are you training?) I was so proud...
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Trip:

There were at least three Robert Hall jingles that I know of. Take your pick. . .

When the values go up, up, up,
And the prices go down, down, down,
Robert Hall this season
Will show you the reason:
Low overhead, low overhead.

School bells ring and children sing
It's back to Robert Hall again;
Mother knows for children's clothes
It's back to Robert Hall again.

Clothing values are high,
And the prices are low;
That's why at Robert Hall
You save on family clothes.

Where do I pick up my ticket?
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn461
the 20 mule team Borax show which had Ronald Regan as the host of it. Not sure what the name of it was.
The name of the show was Death Valley Days. There were 558 episodes produced between 1952 and 1975. The first host was actor Stanley Andrews portraying "The Old Ranger" from 1952-1965. Ronald Reagan was next for a short time, 1965-1966. He was followed by Robert Taylor, Dale Robertson and Merle Haggard.
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

when doing "research" actually meant picking up a book even an encyclopedia...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat