Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2
Metropolitan Cars. We called them Metros. Amos and Andy on the radio along with their Lone Ranger before the TV shows. Let's not forget Innersanctum, although it was radio it scared me something bad.
can you imagine trying to put A&A on tv or radio these days. Boy, that would really get Sharpton and Jackson going.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Oh, radio at its best was far scarier, or funnier, or more dramatic--name your emotion--than TV or film. You got to paint your own mental picture, which was far more real than anything on a screen. Dramatic radio was a true art form, and it's a shame that it's gone.

I used to be able to recite the entire Lone Ranger opening (as delivered by the one and only Fred Foy) by heart, but I'd have to look it up now. I remember snatches. . "from out of the past come the thundering hoofbeats of the great horse Silver" which is one of the great lines of radio copy ever written. Still gives me goosebumps.

Well, The Lone Ranger of course was produced in Detroit at WXYZ. But Amos 'n' Andy was part of the legendary "Chicago School" of radio. Even though it was set in Harlem, it was produced at NBC Chicago, probably the most legendary studios in radio history. I loved that show on both radio and TV, and I think it's sad that it's not politically correct to say so--much less listen to it or watch it any more. Because, quite simply, it was some of the best broadcast comedy ever written. And I mean ever. The writing quality is right up there with Lucy.

When I got to college just north of Chicago in 1963, the head of our department asked me to be a panelist on one of those Sunday morning public service TV shows. He'd been producing it at NBC Chicago for years, and it featured college kids interviewing community leaders, etc. Of course I realized that my future grade point average would in some measure depend on my gladly obliging him, so I said yes. I wound up doing the show zillions of times, but I remember walking into NBC for the first time to tape it. It was the early days of color, so we were ushered first to makeup where we got pretty well slathered up. Then into the studio, and as I was walking to the set, I noticed a plaque on the wall--"NBC Chicago, Studio E, Home of the Original Amos 'n' Andy radio show." My heart literally skipped a beat. This studio had started its life--famously--in radio and been converted to TV much later. Even as a college kid I was touched and honored to be going on the air from that same studio.

The old NBC studios are long gone now--they were on the 16th floor of the Merchandise Mart--and I spent many happy hours there taping the Sunday show, but also hanging out around some of the other shows. I got to hear Tony Bennett sing there in his prime, Count Basie and the band play there. It was a glorious place. It was where Dave Garroway, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, and so much other great broadcasting was born. Nothing comes close today.

Now NBC is in a new building over by the lake. I haven't even bothered to visit it on return trips to Chicago.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

When I first moved to Germany, we couldn't get TV so the radio was our friend, our contact to the world, etc. At night you would have thought that the world had gone back in time. They played all the old shows, including the shadow. I was not old enough to remember these shows the first time, but really enjoyed hearing them.

What was so funny, was that the comedies were just as funny as they must have been back then. My favorite was Burns and Allen.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Bobby_G, Yes Jackson and Sharpton would be a tag team on that one. .

AR, very well said. It seems that lifes pleasures were much simpler then. The experiences that you mentioned sound priceless. Tony Bennett and the "Count".... Tremendous.
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Admiral

i remember my parents always watched lawrence welk and yee haw.
i used to love the dukes of hassard.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Admiral

How many of us "girls" were in love with Dr. Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare? We had to have one of the while Doctor shirts that buttoned from the neck and down the side. Paul from the Donna Reed show. He was the oh so cute son.

I was just catching lightening bugs this past weekend. They were slower fliers when I was a kid. I didn't catch that many this time at all. The smell didn't change either, it really sticks with you for a long time. Those little buggers must be taking vitimins.
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Re "Jackson" and "Sharpton" and Amos 'n' Andy--

I really have seriously wondered why that material has been relegated to oblivion. Naturally, it focused on black people plotting and scheming and scamming, but of course there were no whites in the show, so it's hard to imagine calling it racist. Archie Bunker was just as comically reprehensible--far more so on the racial front--and yet reruns abound. And of course Ricky's Cuban accent was fair game for everybody else on the show, especially Lucy. Hard to figure the grounds for making Amos 'n' Andy a no-no.

I think part of it goes back to those radio days in Studio E Chicago. Both of the originators of the characters were white guys--Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll. They wrote the shows and played black characters, and I guess there's resentment about that. Naturally, when the show went to TV, things changed.

I once saw a panel discussion about the show with a bunch of sociologist types and Jimmy Walker, the very funny black comedian. All the academics were cluck-clucking about how the show demeaned blacks, until Walker finally had enough. What he said was roughly this: "Look, you guys are in ivory towers, but I try to make people laugh every day. And when you do that you have to think sometimes about what is the essence of comedy. So here's the bottom line: Amos 'n' Andy is comedy. And in comedy somebody gotta take the pie. So get over it."

Simple, huh?

In that spirit two of my favorite moments ever from the show. . .

Algonquin J. Calhoun, the perpetually crooked lawyer who represented the boys of the Mystic Knights of the Sea when they got into scrapes, was appearing in court on behalf of the Kingfish. The judge asked for a plea.

"Your honor," said Calhoun, "my client denies the allegations and he gonna sue the alligator."

And then there was the time that the Kingfish accidently dropped a rare and valuable nickel into a pay phone. He was beside himself, and he went to Calhoun for advice. The returned to the phone together. After trying a few silly ideas to no avail, the following exchange:

CALHOUN: Well, Kingfish, the only thing left to do is take this crowbar, pry the thing off the wall, take it back to the lodge hall and bust it open.

KINGFISH: OK, Calhoun, go ahead.

CALHOUN: No, Kingfish, you gotta do it.

KINGFISH: Why me.

CALHOUN: It's an established point of law. You the one who dropped the nickel in the box, so you got pryor's rights.
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Unless I missed these, and I have read every post so far. I have been known to be blind at times.

Do you remember Pixie Stixs and the little wax Coke bottles? You bit the top off and suck the juice out and then chew on the wax.
At school, your milk came in glass bottles with the paper caps, and you had a choice between white milk or chocolate.

The younger people always ask. How did you make it without A/C? My reply. You never miss what you never had or knew about.
Going to the Drug store gave me the same feeling as going to the Doctor. Scared.
AND YES I still put peanuts in my coke or sodas.
Drive Inns. Where the car hop came to your car for your order.
When you were ready for the tray pickup, you would flash your headlights.
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Not having AC was the reason we stayed outside all the time. We also didn't need all the air fresheners you see today, because the air(with any luck) was always breezy.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

bigjohn 461:
I so agree with you, we never missed what we didn't have. The Eat n' Park was where our car hops were. They woud take your order and then deliver it to your car. Most of the time we would eat in the car unless we told them to put it in a bag, because we were taking it home.
Yes, we too only had 2 choices of milk in the glass bottles with the pull of tops.
I did mention the wax coke bottles with the juice in them(flavored, colored sugar water, I am sure) We also had small sticks of wax with the same juice in them. Your jaw really hurt after trying to chew that wax. I would see blobs of melted wax on the sidewalks all the time. You just knew that is what it was.
Remember peddle pushers, now called capris? They were ours not a new style of pants for this generation. Kolotts(sp) That was another one. We were not allowed to wear pants in school, but we would try to make it so the kolotts looked like a skirt. I was called in the office so many time for that one. Oh, if the schools only had the problems now as they did then????
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Admiral

How about Walt Kelly's Pogo?

I'll never forget Pogo saying to Albert Alligator "don't take life so serious son, it aint nohow permanent"

Words I try to live by.

Keith
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Judy, I saw where you posted about the green stamps. S&H? I still have 12 books of those and 4 books of Gold Bond stamps.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Remember when mom's could stay home and raise the kids, watch the neighborhood, have less stress by not having to do it all, and were proud of the full time job they had at home. Also, the men felt more like men, because they provided for their families.

We gave more to the church, and less to the government.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Captain

One that hits home on this board frequently....Dressing decently for a formal function. Nobody was in church without a suit, dress coat & tie etc. not even small children. Remember when eveyone put on a suit/nice dress to fly? lol....Man those days are gone.

Can you imagine what your parents would have if you had thown on a pair of shorts for church or some other special occassion? I think I've come to the conclusion that things have become a bit too informal in society today...The people on the boards amaze me that they can't put on something decent for a couple hours for one night of a cruise without a huge debate...You would think they would want their kids, especially, to experience something formal and decent that they don't do everyday at home....God forbid a kid has to get out of his nintendo mind set for a bit, socialize with humans and look decent
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok, this Northerner just HAS to ask...WHY OH WHY, would you put peanuts in coke?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 12th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Admiral

That's a good question, Trip. I guess it had to do with the taste, with the salt, but the best part was eating the peanuts after the coke was gone.

We stopped doing it, after cans came out.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Remember when mom's could stay home and raise the kids, watch the neighborhood, have less stress by not having to do it all, and were proud of the full time job they had at home. Also, the men felt more like men, because they provided for their families.

We gave more to the church, and less to the government.
sounds like a Steinham(sp) issue. It's all because of the ACLU

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
That's a good question, Trip. I guess it had to do with the taste, with the salt, but the best part was eating the peanuts after the coke was gone.

We stopped doing it, after cans came out.
same reason we ate moon pies and drank R C cola It was goooooood

how about corn bread in buttermilk ?

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
same reason we ate moon pies and drank R C cola It was goooooood

how about corn bread in buttermilk ?
Never did acquire a taste for buttermilk, but I certainly put corn bread in sweet milk!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Admiral

A few years back I and a few close friends were at Berns SteakHouse here in Tampa. This is a first class joint,,,,it's where everyone from the President, to Movie Stars go when in Tampa. After a great meal, the waiter asked if we wanted any desert. I smiled and said "yea, an RC Cola, and a Moon Pie would be nice". Everyone laughed, and the waiter even smiled. He took all the orders, then after a few minutes came back with an RC Cola, and a Moon Pie on a silver platter! He had run across the street to the 7-11 and purchased them for me! Needless to say, he got a very nice tip. (Don't you just love livin' in the South?)

Ken
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Admiral

AR, I believe that A&A was good comedy also. With Jackson and Sharpton Trying to be politically correct on all fronts and trying to champion all causes Black, I think the stereo-typing is what they would object to. I believe that your other points are true also. Ricky, JJ and Archie all have their moments. I think that line shifts from time to time and I agree with you, We'll just have to get over it.
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Admiral

After reading all your memories, I have to post a few more...
We didn't have Moon Pies or Twinkies, but here in Quebec, May Wests and Jos Louis were and still are, the favourite snack cakes....

We had root beer floats, only in the summer, served on the front porch, in a tall glasses with long-handled spoons...

We would run home from school at lunchtime to catch the Flintstones on TV, or even earlier, Johnny Jellybean's Lunchtime Theatre (Montreal only)...

Later in High School, I would rush home to see the very early incarnation of The Guess Who, performing on a weekly CBC "Bandstand" type of show...

Speaking of Canadian TV... Razzle Dazzle....The Littlest Hobo....The Forest Rangers.... Mr. Dressup.....Chez Helene....Johnny Jellybean.....

Thanks Trip for starting this flood of memories....

donna
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Re "Jackson" and "Sharpton" and Amos 'n' Andy--

I really have seriously wondered why that material has been relegated to oblivion. Naturally, it focused on black people plotting and scheming and scamming, but of course there were no whites in the show, so it's hard to imagine calling it racist. Archie Bunker was just as comically reprehensible--far more so on the racial front--and yet reruns abound. And of course Ricky's Cuban accent was fair game for everybody else on the show, especially Lucy. Hard to figure the grounds for making Amos 'n' Andy a no-no.

I think part of it goes back to those radio days in Studio E Chicago. Both of the originators of the characters were white guys--Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll. They wrote the shows and played black characters, and I guess there's resentment about that. Naturally, when the show went to TV, things changed.

I once saw a panel discussion about the show with a bunch of sociologist types and Jimmy Walker, the very funny black comedian. All the academics were cluck-clucking about how the show demeaned blacks, until Walker finally had enough. What he said was roughly this: "Look, you guys are in ivory towers, but I try to make people laugh every day. And when you do that you have to think sometimes about what is the essence of comedy. So here's the bottom line: Amos 'n' Andy is comedy. And in comedy somebody gotta take the pie. So get over it."

Simple, huh?

In that spirit two of my favorite moments ever from the show. . .

Algonquin J. Calhoun, the perpetually crooked lawyer who represented the boys of the Mystic Knights of the Sea when they got into scrapes, was appearing in court on behalf of the Kingfish. The judge asked for a plea.

"Your honor," said Calhoun, "my client denies the allegations and he gonna sue the alligator."

And then there was the time that the Kingfish accidently dropped a rare and valuable nickel into a pay phone. He was beside himself, and he went to Calhoun for advice. The returned to the phone together. After trying a few silly ideas to no avail, the following exchange:

CALHOUN: Well, Kingfish, the only thing left to do is take this crowbar, pry the thing off the wall, take it back to the lodge hall and bust it open.

KINGFISH: OK, Calhoun, go ahead.

CALHOUN: No, Kingfish, you gotta do it.

KINGFISH: Why me.

CALHOUN: It's an established point of law. You the one who dropped the nickel in the box, so you got pryor's rights.
I believe they object to things like A&A because 'they say' it is belittling. And Archie Bunker, to them it demonstrates how racist whites can be. I could be wrong tho.
You know, one can twist anything into anything. Generally the way things go anyway.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Lash LaRue, 'Jingles', Roy Rogers, Clarabelle, Howdy Doody, What was Pat's jeep's name - NellieBelle I believe.

C'mon, I'm gonna start crying.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Colgate's Octagon All-Purpose Soap!

My Grandmother believed it would cure anything! I still have a bar.

The label says:

Quote:
Keep Octagon Soap in your home. It's so convenient and useful. You'll save money, too -- because it's economical to use.

Octagon Soap's rich White Suds are mild and gentle -- even to children's hands -- yet they do so much for you. For removing hard-to-get-out spots from the family wash, Octagon Soap is excellent! And -- it makes dishwashing quick and easy ... because it dissolves grease fast. You'll like it, also, to help you keep your stove, cabinets and woodwork sparkling clean.
I think my dear brother had his mouth washed out with it a time or two!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Admiral

when nothing was "child proofed" --- that was what a whack on the backside was for.....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

How, on the way home from school, or anytime really, you could go to just about anybody's house in the neighborhood and be part of the family. Whether it was to hang out with their kids or just say hello, it really was a village, and all the kids were part of the same family.

If you were lucky enough to have a family member or friend with a big vegetable garden, how your mother would send you "around the corner" to pick vegetables for dinner. My uncle had about a half acre of vegetables growing on the next block, and he supplied the neighborhood. It wasn't until I got to college that I realized vegetables could be tasteless, mushy, colorless, dull.

And then, for two weekends in the fall, canning time. Hundreds of Mason jars with the rubber seals and wire closures being sterilized in boiling water, while the veggies were prepared on the other side of the stove. When finished, down to the cellar and onto the big wooden shelves. We would never lack for good tomato sauce, peppers, beans, you name it.

Bowling on Saturday mornings with the kids' league. Three games for a dollar.

Having a disabled friend and managing to hold your temper when the few villiage idiots made fun of you for pushing his wheelchair around the neighborhood.

And then, after a serious talk with your parents, signing up to be a "Polio Pioneer" when Dr. Salk's vaccine became available for human testing.

Campaigning and voting for Student Council. At our schools, the county brought in regular voting machines for us to vote on. Good training, good civics lesson, smart people.

Shop class (the girls had to take it too).

Home ec class (the boys had to take it too).