Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default A text Message From Heaven !!

If you could text one question to one (or both) of your parents in heaven..what would the text be and how old were you when one or both of your parents passed on ?

I was thinking about my Dad recently (my mom is still alive and kicking) , who died when I was 22( he was a young 53) and I would have liked to send him a text about his grandson and how proud he would be of him both in his professional flying career and the fact that he is a great Dad to my grandson
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Great topic. I was just thinking about mine. Dad was only 41 (1972) and mom had just turned 55 (1988). I just turned 55 and I knew 55 was young but now I realize just how young it is. I would definately want to texted them and tell them about their 3 US marine grandsons, 1 great grandson turning 4 next week, DH's retirement next year and my new promotion I just got last week. They were always proud of us but I would just like to tell them. Also how their children have been happily married for 19, 31, 32 and 35 years because of their example. Now pass the kleenex!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Sorry, Venice, I can't go there.... even after many years. I was 27 when my mother died, she was 57, and 38 when my dad died. And what hurts even more is thinking about my sister that died 5 years ago.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Mom passed when I was 39 and Dad passed when I was 48. She was 56 and he was 67. My kid brother passed when he was 42.

I would ask them to help guide me through the rest of my life and to make the proper choices.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Well, my dad has been gone for 23 years, dying just after I turned 21 and a couple of months before my Wedding. I would send him picture and video texts of his grandchildren - his greatgrandkids. And thank him for all he did for us and instilled in us.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I lost my dad when I was 25. he was 55. I lost my mom several years ago, but I had actually lost them many years ago, and not sure I really had them then.

I would tell them, that they were wrong. That I did become somebody.

I would let them know of the wonderful husband I have, and could text about the kids forever.

I think they would be proud of my little family, and of me.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was a young Grandmother, and in my family, Grandmothers are Memeres. In 1988, I lost my Mother on Pearl Harbor day,which I always found, had her comedic hand, since my last name is Pearl.

Well, a few monts later, I became a Grandmother, but I couldn't see myself as a Memere. I didn't think I earned it . SHE was the Memere.

When Aiden was born, in 2003, I became a Memere....I would tell her, I did it....and Thanks!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Admiral

My father died a year ago last Friday, he was 78 and my mother died the previous October, she was 77. He died of his own choosing and I'd like to ask him why he decided to quit his dialysis treatment when he knew it was a death sentence.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Thomas, so sorry to hear that..

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Text Message from me:

M+D I luv u.

Response: Don't you know how to type?

It was right after Betty and I got married that my Dad died so I must have been in my late 20's.

My mom died a few years ago.

You know what: I can't remember the exact dates and it doesn't bother me. I can remember just about everything that they taught me, what they said and that they loved me. That's all that really matters. As long as I remember those things then part of them is still alive.

One of the favorite things my granddaughter can ask is: "Tell me about your dad or Grandma Ellen".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I was 28 when mom passed and 49 when Dad passed. If I had to send a text it would be to them both. Simply "I can't wait to see you again".
Mom passed in 1983 and Dad passed in 2004.
Sorry I had to edit, some of these wounds are still healing. My oldest son passed away at age 19 in 1994. I would send him the same text except I would add, "I still cry".
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Captain

My heart aches for some of you and soars for others. The pain of losing ones you love and how much you miss them comes through. The love, respect and appreciation that some of you have expressed is wonderful. The pain inflicted on some of you comes through, but your triumph over that pain and your unwillingness to except their predictions for your life is both hearts warming and inspiring. And I hear, from the majority of you that what you are most proud of is your accomplishments as a parent.. And that you realize that good or bad, your parents were probably the greatest influence of this accomplishment.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Admiral

SUSAN CURTIS, those are encouraging words. I believe it is a Word in due season. Thanks. I believe in Rom. 8:28 also. As far as my loved ones who have passed are concerned, I lean on 1Thess. 4: 13-18. This helps me greatly.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Interesting topic idea Venice and honestly I avoided it at first cause I thought it was going to be one of those joke email things.
My sister and I sometimes play the "if you could talk to mom for one more hour what would ask?' Where to begin? There's so much to know.
I was 27 when my mom died...she was 58...it was 1988.
I was 45 when my dad died....he was 86....it was 2005. Dad was 11 years older than mom and managed well on his own until he was about 83 or so.
I think I would have to ask my mom just where did she find the patience she never seemed to run out of. And of course I'd have to show her her wonderful grandchildren. Hayley was 18 months old when mom passed and Jimmy was born on the first anniversary of mom's burial (believe me, I take that as a huge sign that she's with me). At least dad was able to spend lots of time with his grandchildren.
There are times I feel both of my parents still with me and I hope that feeling never goes away.
Angela Z.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Captain

Thanks, Seadog2. That is going into my verses to memorize.

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I have both of my parents....but I often wonder how my dear mother managed raising 5 children by herself when my dad was overseas.....and she was 22 at the time!

Melody
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Admiral

great points..you know Melody your comment made me think, my parents probably combined never made more than $8,000 a year, yet we never felt poor, they owned their home and we never went hungry or without clothes..yet today I know some people that earn that in a month and they don't have anything to show for it
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Captain

Venice, I think that is because people need to learn that they will never be happy with what they want, until they are happy (and grateful for) what they have.

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My Father died in 1976, I was 27 It was sudden and unexpected. He died for doing what he always did, helping others. He helped shovel out a car stuck in snow. The next morning he died of a heart attack. He was 65. My Mother died in 1997 after battling colon cancer for 15 years. she was 79. I was 49. There is so much I would tell them both. but for now I would simply say I Love You.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 11th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Admiral

This is a great topic, it's nice to read people's touching stories...

Sorry to say, I would not waste the 50 cents to text my "Dad", his drink and friends were more important than us kids...thank goodness my Mother had the strength to divorce him and spare us kids having to grow up in a house with an alcoholic...

HOWEVER, to my Mom, I would text how much all of us love her and that I will be forever grateful that I was able to be there when she passed. Also, how HAPPY my sister & I were that all of us were able to take a wonderful cruise together....AND that hopefully Elvis is serenading her every night!

My Mother taught me that being a parent means more than just giving birth...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas