Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Bob Dickinson retiring

Bob Dickinson, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, has informed Carnival that he will retire at the end of the year.

I don't know how many of you even know who he is, but he has a couple of books out - one of which was just released and mentions CruiseMates.

He is one of my "heroes" if you will, an inspiration in any case as someone who has the ability to look at this industry with a clear eye and plenty of humor.

He was instrumental in making cruising what it is today, in so many ways, some of which some of you may or may not find appealing.

He is a businessman first, and whether you like the Carnival formula or not, he clearly contributed in making it the most successful cruise line in the business.

Bob is credited with coming up with the "Fun Ship" concept - that cruising is for everyone and that it is not a stuffy, formal affair. At the time, that was a novel idea.
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I admire Bob a LOT! And I agree he did many very very good things for the industry.

When CruiseMates first began , even though the site was small and just starting out, and we were doing our very first group cruise Bob agreed to make it a Bob Dickinson/CM group cruise.

And even though it was the small, baby steps, group cruise that led to our programs growth, Bob met with us for a private Q&A session, and dined with us in the evenings.... entertaining us with industry stories, and talking to us about the future of the industry, and the future of Carnival.

Though he was President of the world's most successful cruise line he took time from his schedule to spend a significant amount of time with the 20 or so of us in that group; very admirable.
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I LOVE THE WAY 'UNCLE KUKI' SOUNDS !!!

What do you say, Kuki for CEO of Carnival..... You have my vote!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Admiral

I hope that Carnival has someone in the wings who can keep the force moving FORWARD and not backwards.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Kuki...

I had forgotten about the Cruise with Bob group cruise, that was a LONG time ago. What a classy thing for him to do.

Actually, though, Carnival did not even have a web site back then (if you can believe that) and he was probably doing research on you.

I remember being at Seatrade in 2000 when Carnival was just launching their Web site, and Vicki Freed walked up to a terminal next to me and logged in and showed it to Bob and he said, "So, that's it, huh? Looks 'pretty good'"
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree that Dickenson has done a lot for Carnival and is a phenomenal businessman and leader. His ability to understand the market, its trends, customers and potential are what has made Carnival what it is today.

He is also responsible for Carnival Cruise Lines being able to adapt to change without losing its identity. A task that isn't easy in this day and age.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me