Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Default Singing Bee -- Fair warning

I must admit that I've never watched a single episode of American Idol or any of its evil spawn. Nothing personal, but there's plenty of good music around and I find no need to watch a latter-day Gong Show. To be fair, I was never a big fan of Godfrey's Talent Scouts or Mack's Amateur Hour either.

Tom Shales has been reviewing television for The Washington Post for as long as I've been in town and longer. He's always been caustic, sometimes unfair, usually funny. Now, in his dotage, he's just pulling out all the stops. These cuttings are from today's review of "Singing Bee" which apparently premieres tonight. . .

NBC UNLEASHES 'SINGING BEE'; AMERICA BREAKS OUT IN HIVES

Some bad shows call for essentially gentle, friendly warnings. But then, on occasion, one faces something akin to a toxic waste spill. Temperate caution is inadequate; the event calls more for panicked cries of "Run for your lives!."

What's so bad about "The Singing Bee?" Just about everything; the producers have seen to that. Just in case any sort of charm or merriment might somehow have broken through, they hired as host former boy-band singer Joey Fatone (whom wags dubbed "Joey Fat One" for his increased size, before he returned from merciful obscurity to do calorie-burning battle on ABC's "Dancing With the Stars."

So he thinks he can host? The poor sap can't ad-lib anything beyond "oh, boy," and to call him mechanical would be to insult millions of reliable, hard-working machines throughout the world. The producers might have had better luck if they'd grabbed someone at random off the studio tour and plopped a microphone in his hand.

It goes on at some length, but you get the idea. I love Shales when he really gets going. Forewarned is forearmed. Post some replies tomorrow and let us know what you think. I'm watching the ballgame.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Summer "replacement" shows seem to be a case of dragging the very bottom of the ideas bin, raising it to see if just perhaps something will float.

Or in more direct turns.. throw the "stuff" against the wall and see if anything sticks.... or just slithers down the wall.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Obviously, I haven't seen it yet either, but I can't imagine it's any worse than the new game show they're pushing now. I'm a BIG fan of game shows in general, but "Camoflage" has got to be the absolute worst piece of c*** I've ever seen.

Ken
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Just another excellent reason that I do not watch television anymore.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Michael, I always knew you were a wise man. :-)

Can't say that I've given up tv completely because I'm sort of a news junkie, and a lot of that is just fluff and nonsense too. There are a few other shows that I watch and enjoy, but it's more background noise than anything else.

Phyll
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

TIVO!!!! Love it so much. We pick the shows!! Get rid of the commercials, and no problems!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AR:

Unlike you have to admit that I did watch the end of last years AI and most of this years. I blame my wife. She likes it and I record it on the DVR and she watches it when she gets home from work. I got hooked. It's like mind candy. You watch it and you sort of get caught up in it.

There are some shows that I can't understand. Actually AI is one, but I got sucked in so who am I to judge. Shows such as the Howie Mandel show that is little more than luck, greed and basic probabilities. I watched the entire show once and was baffled how dumb people were.

The reality world has become ridiculous. My wife loves some of them but they are out of control. A couple of nights ago I was looking for a late night movie and to my amazement "Big Brother" was on Showtime. It was just three people sitting in a hot tub for five minutes. I don't know what else it was because I changed channels. I looked at the listing and it went on FOR THREE HOURS!!! It is also on EVERY NIGHT! How pathetic can it be for people to waste their lives watching that. Have we become that voyeuristic?

Give me a good movie, drama or something with a bit of creativity that is made by people who know their craft. I'll take a 24, Battlestar Gallactica (New), many Discovery, History Channel or a movie over the dribble they put out now.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Gotta disagree with you on Battlestar Gallactica.

A woman Starbuck??!! Cylons that aren't robots??!!

No one's ever gunna top Lorne Greene, Jane Seymor and Dirk Benedict! 8)

Dean
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Dean:

We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, the old Battlestar Gallactica was more of a cartoon. The new one is an actual dramatic series with some very interesting political, religious and social over and undertones. Plus it has great acting and special effects.

Like all shows they'll probably run out of ideas or they'll go too far one way or the other in their ideologies but, for now, it's a great ride.

The bad part is that if you haven't watched it from the beginning it isn't worth starting to watch it now.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Can the news! I'd rather watch I Love Lucy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Admiral

and The Rifelman and The Adams Family
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Well, I have to agree with AR once again! (I'm getting worried,,,I'm agreeing with him more, and more, and more!)
I watched about 10 minutes of "Singing Bee" last night, and that was all I could stand! Terrible! Almost, but not quite as bad as Camoflage! Thanks for the heads up AR. I'm going to listen to you more carefully in the future!

Ken
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Admiral

What is Camouflage? We're still hooked on The Academy, showing what recruits go thru in the Sheriff's department...I'd last all of ONE day!

Well, maybe not even all of one day....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In this house it is home theater, with HDTV and HBO, CineMax and Showtime. In addition, we belong to the Blockbuster video club which (in case you have tried it) is far better than NetFlix.

With Blockbuster, you select your mail queue and they mail a video to you, they now manage the process out of local stores so you get them almost overnight. When you are finished watching it you take it to you local store and they give you a free rental for it, plus you have just returned your mailed disck, so they send a new out the next day. All this times three since you can have 3 mailed disks out as long as you want (they is no return date, we even bring them with us on vacations).

You essential can have as many as six videos fresh from Blockbuster in your home at the same time, each one replenished once you watch it.

I figure we have seen every major film releaded in the last three years, albeit a few months later than everyone else.

I practically refuse to watch any TV station with commercials. And if I did, I would get TIVO. I really abhor network TV, it is the bain of our society and the reasin why the rest of the world thinks we are morons!

Actually, that last statement isn't true. Every nation has moronic daytime TV.
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Paul,

Your wife is calling you. She says that if you don't come and pack your suitcase, you are not going on the cruise.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link