Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Aren't You Glad

That the ships are getting better bedding? How many times have you wished for your own comfy bed, when sleeping on a ship!

The Freedom odf the seas and the Century, our last 2 cruises, we slept like babies. On the one before that, the Zuiderdam, we were, a day late and a dollar short, missing the new mattresses. We needed to ask for egg crate padding to make it at least a bit comfy! And how about those rounded end beds? I suppose tall crusiers are not that thrilled, but boy they look nice made up.

I know some people take their own pillows, and NEVER sleep with the spread on, and bring gigantic bottles of Lysol to spray every surface...Any rituals for you?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Admiral

We have special mattresses that we use only for cruises kept in a special temperature and humidity controlled warehouse. When we book a cruise we order them airshipped to the port and notify the cruise line to have them picked up, boarded and set up in our room.

In our regular baggage we bring at least two one-gallon jugs of Lysol and a like amount of formaldehyde which we mix together on sailing day and shampoo the mattresses. The smell can be a little off-putting, but we always book a balcony and keep the door open while we do this. We also shampoo all the carpeting and wash down the floors and walls of the bathroom with this mixture.

We have an arrangement with a nationally-known pillow manufacturer to ship specific models of new pillows to each of our cruise embarkation points as well. We use the new pillows for the cruise, then tell the steward to either dispose of them or keep them for himself. This way we're always assured of having clean, comfortable hypo-allergenic pillows that meet our specific requirements.

And since we're absolute insomniacs unless we have silk sheets with a very specific thread count, we bring those along as well. We choose festive colors so the stewards and the dry cleaning people will know they're ours. Naturally, it requires several sets depending on the length of the cruise.

All this costs us a few bucks in purchases, shipping and tips, but we know we'll sleep like babies on each and every cruise!!
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

AR

Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

AR,

After all that work, when do you find time to actually sleep??!!

And I thought Niles Crane was fussy.............!

Dean

(Who knows you're kidding.)
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Ar, you win the Shecky award today! Take good care of it

I know this woman, who when she cruises, brings her own pillows, and pillow cases, has the bedspread removed from her room, for the length of her crusie, and systematically goes around the room, with her can of lysol, spraying every possible surface area!

While waiting to board the ship, one cruise....I saw a woman bring her own chair onboard..Lord only knows why..and once, a man was pulling a skid, that had, what looked like a air purifier...you can bet this man drove to the port!:)

Old July 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Admiral

AR,,, you will definately get some type award for that,,,,YIKES Although can't say what type,,, You sure can spin a tale

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Admiral

AR... glad I don't stay in your room while you're there...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Admiral

I hit the pillow and I'm gone. Cruise beds are just so much more comfy than home!

donna
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Admiral

I have alot of pain often, and so it continues but worse on a cruise as the beds for me are difficult. I have at home a very good matress. But that is not the fault of the cruise. My son never complained, but last time found the bed abit hard, but I asked for an egg crate and he slept perfect after that. my SO ( significant other) sleeps fine where ever he is.......The lines have been good about giving extra pillows for my arm to lie on. We always remove spreads, and we ask they are not placed on our beds once we check in since we know that they are not laundered between passengers. We travel now NCL as it fits all our needs and we notice they no longer use spreads on the new ships but have a nice throw on the bed like an accent across the bed. I dont like the idea of sleeping on or sitting on a spread that others slept on.........and Lord knows what else. NCL has been more comfortable for me than Carnival regarding beds, but that is subjective. I do wipe down things in the cabin. I never understaod those rounded beds and they would not go well for us.....as they are to short.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Admiral

I usually ask the crew to install a bar on the ceiling.

I can then enjoy sleeping in my favourite position.... hanging upside down.

("not to get too personal or anything, but how well do you sleep?" - Lindsay Wagner --- shut the f*** up and join a pilates class, you bionic idiot.)

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I have alot of pain often, and so it continues but worse on a cruise as the beds for me are difficult. I have at home a very good matress. But that is not the fault of the cruise. My son never complained, but last time found the bed abit hard, but I asked for an egg crate and he slept perfect after that. my SO ( significant other) sleeps fine where ever he is.......The lines have been good about giving extra pillows for my arm to lie on. We always remove spreads, and we ask they are not placed on our beds once we check in since we know that they are not laundered between passengers. We travel now NCL as it fits all our needs and we notice they no longer use spreads on the new ships but have a nice throw on the bed like an accent across the bed. I dont like the idea of sleeping on or sitting on a spread that others slept on.........and Lord knows what else. NCL has been more comfortable for me than Carnival regarding beds, but that is subjective. I do wipe down things in the cabin. I never understaod those rounded beds and they would not go well for us.....as they are to short.
Your son slept in an egg crate ?

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Admiral

After 21 years in the Air Force and the resulting variety of comfortable beds and cots , I can sleep on damn near anything, so the cruise ship beds do not bother me. However, I have been increasingly spoiled by our Tempur Pedic bed at home, so we will see.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
Your son slept in an egg crate ?
"my bad", that's the nurse in me. In hospitals, we call the foam matresses that you lie on top of another matress egg crates as they look like egg crates with the molded peaks, and we just refere to them as "egg crates". They make alot of differance on a hard matress and will also help with persons who are prone to peasure sores and the like.
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

AR wins the "Monk Award" from the TV show Monk about the Germ a phobic detective. He is always asking for a wipe after he touches anything it's a funny show. But I gotta say I want to stay in your room the cruise after you. I'm sure it would be clean.

Cruise Cynic when you said a bar from the ceiling I was thinking something completing different that has nothing to do with sleeping. Where do I get one of these bars.

I'm an insomniac I normally take the little blue pills. However, on board ship I don't take the pills and just run around the ship til I'm sleepy. The last cruise on Carnival they change to the new bedding it was heaven.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Trip - i totally agree with you that the bed on the Freedom of the Seas was by far the most comfortable cruise bed we have slept on. We didn't however like the weight of the comforter, way to heavy, we had our room steward remove it and replace it with a blanket. DH brings his own pillow, he has issues with his neck and his home pillow is just right. I can sleep on just about anything.
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I'm an insomniac I normally take the little blue pills.
Funny how men and women are different. . .

When guys take little blue pills they usually stay awake and find something interesting to keep them busy.
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I'm an insomniac I normally take the little blue pills.
Funny how men and women are different. . .

When guys take little blue pills they usually stay awake and find something interesting to keep them busy.
AR, you make me laugh!!!!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

After three days of sleeping on an air mattress, two nights of sleeping on a defective Select Comfort, laying on cold exam tables and narrow CT and MRI platforms, I'll take NCL's hardest mattress in a heartbeat.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Mike, you put it all in perspective..thanks!

Old July 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Me, I ain't so glad, the new bedding has alot of creases in it and it's hard to wipe my crumbs away so it hurts my back when I sleep
R.I.P.
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
After three days of sleeping on an air mattress, two nights of sleeping on a defective Select Comfort, laying on cold exam tables and narrow CT and MRI platforms, I'll take NCL's hardest mattress in a heartbeat.

Take care,
Mike
For sure Mike, and thank Goodness NCL has firm mattresses, other wise I would have no sleep at all. The carnival beds were soft and gave no support and just plain sucked. At least NCL's bed had some support to them!