Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Default Car Insurance..Is this legal?

My dh called our car insurance with whom we had our cars insuranced for well over 10 years. We added the Camry and the rates are a bit high. The lady tried to find some savings and asked my dh he would save a lot of money if he had a degree!!!Is this legal? We never ever had a claim, clean driving records for both of us and yet we pay a lot of money!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Yeoman

As a Professional Insurance agent for over 30 years I can tell you the various insurance companies all have things that they give credit for...
It may be your age, your location, and yes, whether you have a college degree and yes it is legal. In your state of Florida the auto insurance is filed and approved by the state and this means Florida has approved their rate plan including credits and surcharges.

Regards,
Ben
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Admiral

I cannot comment as to what is legal in Florida, I would not be suprised if it is. For example in NJ they can set rates based on your credit rating, give honor students discounts, give you a reduction for a safe drivers course, etc. I believe the view here is the more educated you are the less likely you are to engage in bad driving behavior, the same for a higher credit score and honor students. No doubt the insurance companies have oodles<-----scientific term of statistics to back them up.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue
My dh called our car insurance with whom we had our cars insuranced for well over 10 years. We added the Camry and the rates are a bit high. The lady tried to find some savings and asked my dh he would save a lot of money if he had a degree!!!Is this legal? We never ever had a claim, clean driving records for both of us and yet we pay a lot of money!!!!
Sue:
Is it legal? Yes. Insurance companies base this on studies that show that people with higher levels of education have fewer accidents. Does that apply to everyone? Heck no, but they base their premiums on groups and not individuals. So it isn't fair but its legal.

The amount you would save is probably not a large sum. A few dollars over a six to twelve month period. The sum may be greater if you have more cars insured with the company, clean record, no kids on the policy, etc.

Insurance isn't always fair and can be expensive but its one of life's necessary evils. I hate paying the premiums but I have been happy when I have been able to collect the benefits.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Admiral

We have found a solution for the high cost of insurance....

....we sold our house and both of our cars.

No more homeowners insurance....

No more auto insurance.....

And, since we don't have cars or property where people can injure themselves, no more liability umbrella.

Free, free at last! 8)

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

It seems to be quite legal and it is done here as well. I have a plan for nurses, and I will admit that my insurance is 8% total lower than a friend living in the exact same house as mine, Attatched for that matter in the same row of town houses as mine...........I also get credits for never having an at fault accident , and not having a claim for accident or theft in over ten years house and car, credit for never having a ticket traffic or parking ticket , as well as alarm system, antitheft in car, smoke detectors in house etc.
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Ah Marc..... but do you have life insurance.....?

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
Ah Marc..... but do you have life insurance.....?
Of course. I also have a renter's policy here in Tokyo.

Still, life is sure simpler without a house and cars.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14