Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Default Dress Code

What we need is another good dress code string to boost the hit count around here. . .

So, from Today's Washington Post, news that the White House has posted new signs at all entrances--staff and visitor--detailing the West Wing Dress Code. I am not making this up. Here is the very poorly worded verbatim text:

Those not appropriately dressed and wearing the following will not be allowed to tour the West Wing:

* Jeans
* Sneakers
* Shorts
* Miniskirts
* T-Shirts
* Tank Tops
* Flip-Flops

Dontcha just love it?!! No flip-flops in the White House!! Reminds me of that great line from Dr. Strangelove: "No fighting in the war room."

Additional notes from the White House staff include the warning that these prohibitions will be in force regardless of the weather. And when asked why the sudden attention to haberdashery, one White House aide blamed it all on the Clintons (who else?) "When the Clintons came in, all hell broke loose," said the aide. "We're just trying to get things back on track."

No comment.

I wonder if all those cruisers who say, "It's my vacation and I'll wear what I damn well please" will also say "It's my White House and I'll wear what I damn well please."

And I wonder whether they'll get away with it as easily.
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Admiral

And how long have the Clinton's been out of the White House?

That statement would have been okay during the first year George was there but now???????

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

How about the "sneakers" in the white house ??? Seems to me they are always trying to sneak something by us,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Great post AR...and excellent application by the way!
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Dress Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
No flip-flops in the White House!!
I guess that means Hillary can't run in 2008 after all.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I saw that same sign at the dining room on my last cruise!
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Admiral

AR,

Yes, people never cease to amaze me........

On Mother's Day, I and my family were at brunch at the grand old Benson Hotel in Portland, the hotel where the presidents stay when they're in town. The London Grille is a beautiful, elegant wood-panelled dining room, with waiters dressed in tuxedos.

Most of the diners were dressed appropriately for the Mother's Day event, men wearing single-breasted suits, some wearing double-breasted suits, and women wearing full-length dresses.

There were, however, a few slobs who believed they were so special that it was OK for them to wear jeans, shorts, and t-shirts........

I don't have much in common with the current occupants of the White House, but we do share this belief:

Dress codes should be enforced without exception. If a person is not dressed appropriately, that person should be barred from the event. It's just that simple!

Dean
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Brian... Great counter .

AR, what if the "Boss" decides to cut through there on his morning jaunt?
Just curious. No harm meant.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Brian... Great counter .

AR, what if the "Boss" decides to cut through there on his morning jaunt?
Just curious. No harm meant.
Mike--

As we all know, there are always some who ignore the rules and get away with it.
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Admiral

AR---

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Dean,

Full-length gowns at brunch???? I've never heard of this, please tell me when I should wear a full-length gown to brunch. I would really like to know. I've always thought tea-length dresses (with a few ladies suits thrown in the mix) were the norm for brunch.

Melody
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Just so you don't think I'm crazy, I've copied brunch dress codes for a few New Orlean's Hotels.....some with a greater pedigree than your admittedly glorious Benson Hotel (which, by the way, has no dress code mentioned). None of them mention formal gowns for brunch.

Personally, I think women who show up at brunch in formal attire may not have been home to change from the night before. I have personally experienced the gaping stares in a hotel lobby when I emerged Sunday morning wearing the formal gown I wore to a wedding the night before. Formal in broad daylight seems so garish! However, the facial expressions of the desk clerks were priceless when we checked in at this rather luxurious New Orleans hotel...........without luggage! We had planned to drive home after the reception, but our friends persuaded us to stay. Never again!

Brennan's
Attire: Dressy (Jacket May Be Required)

Ralph's on the Park
Attire: Business Casual

The Rib Room

Riche
Attire: Business Casual

Albertine's Tea Room
Attire: Casual

Antoine's

Arnaud's Restaurant

Commander's Palace

Court of Two Sister's Restaurant

The New Orleans Grill
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Admiral

I will never as in ever wear a full lenght gown for a brunch. Trust me I have more than one to wear and wear them often.I have seen longer summer type dresses at lunch and Brunch, but not even at the Ritz where I have been for mothers day Brunches, for many years, and going back to the days you wore full length at dinner time there.........for Lunch or a Brunch, a dress yes, but not full lenght gown, equally acceptable dressy slacks and top or a skirt. Same with a fancy Brunch we went to at the Chateau Frontenac for a mother's day 15 years ago.
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Melody,

My post mentioned full-length dresses worn by many ladies, not evening gowns. Please re-check the post.

Dean
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Dean,

Full-length as in what????? The only thing that comes to mind when you mention full-length is a formal gown or a hippie maxi dress. Are you sure you aren't thinking of tea length as in reaching to the middle of the calf of the leg?

Melody
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks guys. I'd been checking back on this thread and was in fear that it would die without an argument getting started. That would have been a first for any string in the history of CM with the words "Dress Code" in the title! But you didn't let me down.

And Melody, I don't want to speak for Dean, but please keep in mind that we're guys. I'm sure he'd be willing to simply revise his comments to indicate that the ladies were all "gussied up." Because, the truth is, we don't know the difference between full length, calf-length, ballroom length, or any other length. We just form impressions which we may make the mistake of describing with a word that is less than precise in describing milady's duds.

And, it's probably fair to assume that we'll never get it right. Sorry
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Well let me help here......

Dress Length dictates the distance from the bottom of your dress to the ground. In general, the more formal your occasion is, the longer dress length you need to choose. A dress length is somewhere between Floor-Length (hemline is 1/2-2in from floor), Tea Length (8-10in from the floor), Ballet Length (hemline falls just above the ankles), and Mini Length (the shortest, with hemline falls just above the knees).

And if you ask any lady working in an office, there is business length, which is to the knee, or just below the knee.

Another question....if the guys aren't even familiar with the proper terminology for dress lengths and when they are to be worn, why do you assume to be the fashion expert? You don't honestly believe we would say....Hey, Dean said we should wear full-length dresses to brunch, then rush to our closets and pull out a formal gown (which, by the way, is the ONLY full length dress I'm aware of).

Melody

P.S. By the way, when you Google dress codes, this thread comes up!
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Thanks guys. I'd been checking back on this thread and was in fear that it would die without an argument getting started. That would have been a first for any string in the history of CM with the words "Dress Code" in the title! But you didn't let me down.

And Melody, I don't want to speak for Dean, but please keep in mind that we're guys. I'm sure he'd be willing to simply revise his comments to indicate that the ladies were all "gussied up." Because, the truth is, we don't know the difference between full length, calf-length, ballroom length, or any other length. We just form impressions which we may make the mistake of describing with a word that is less than precise in describing milady's duds.

And, it's probably fair to assume that we'll never get it right. Sorry
WE ???????

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Admiral

OK, I'm not an expert on womens fashion -- I am however extremely well-versed in men's attire, having spent much time in the men's suits department of a high-end store.

The ladies dresses I observed on Mother's Day were generally between the knee and the ankle, ableit closer to the ankle. That to me is a full-length dress, as opposed to a sun dress or other such dress which is above the knee. An evening gown is a long dress as well, but is attire for a formal event, as opposed to afternoon brunch. That's why the references to evening gowns didn't make sense to me, since I did not mention them in my first post in this thread.

The Benson Hotel doesn't post a specific dress code, because you'd think it would be obvious what appropriate attire is. The same goes for weddings. Are shorts and t-shirts appropriate attire for a wedding at Saint Mary's Cathedral?

I thought it extremely disrespectful to all the mothers, on their special day, that some patrons chose to honor all the mothers there by wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Dean
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Admiral

Well apparently the Benson didn't think it too disrespectful....they let them in It's possible that the almighty dollar speaks louder than dress codes. The dresses you mention are tea length, which would be my choice for brunch....so we do agree.

Melody
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Admiral

I prefer dress lengths not much wider than a belt. JMO

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Dean, I think you might have seen what Melody described: ballet length. It's my FAVORITE length and I have everything from sun dresses to more formal in that length (although not floor length).

Maybe it's because I like my ankes and feet, but the farther north you go, the farther south I go (get it?).

Thomas, go to your room (but only for a 10 minute time out this time).

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Captain

Default Re: Dress Code

AR, the dress code does not surprise me, but the price of a tour certainly does. My family could never afford that!

http://www.whitehouse.org/tours/index.asp

Cheers, Aidan
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Aidan,

You ALMOST got me!!!!!

Melody
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
You ALMOST got me!!!!!
Melody
OK, OK, Melody

I love some of the writing in the parody, though:

"persons with photographic memories may be required to submit to one or more harmless injections"

"In the event of encountering any member of the First Family (both immediate and extended) during a tour, visitors of both genders are required to avert their eyes and curtsey."

Cheers, Aidan
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I thought it was hilarious!

Melody
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Me too!
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I once toured Buckingham Palace and recall no specific dress code there.
I do believe that women are not allowed to have bare shoulders when visiting cathedrials in Rome.
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Admiral

You may be right about the bare shoulders. I also carry my trusty veil for my head. All of you Catholics will know what I'm talking about!

Melody