Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default The Thing About A Really Good Book !!!

Is you can't put it down until you've finished it...it consumes you..you read it late at night..on your break at work...when you are eating breakfast at the local IHOP..when you go to the bathroom (I know, it's a man thing)...and it's sooooo good, sometimes you read a chapter again because you think you've missed something..

I usually read two books at once (non fiction historical and a great complex character study fiction), but I purchased "Presidential Courage" by Michael Beschloss last week and it's 327 pages and I finished it in 2 1/2 days (which includes working 12 hours each day)

Now, the bad part of a really good book, is you should never take it on a cruise with you...because it will detract from your cruise time..so I usually have a book that I started, but could not get really into, that I bring on the ship

Has anyone recently read a really good book that you just could not put down until you read it cover to cover ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I just recently read Sandra Brown's Envy.. That was a very good book, and the end was great!!!
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I used to read 2-3 books a week. I have not read as much since I had the cataract surgery. I miss it but have got out of the habit. The last book I read that was that good was "Look To The Mountain" by Legrand Cannon Jr. I read it several times.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Laura, you should really try audio books..I am hooked, in the car and at home..This week I had one going in the car, one paper book, and one audio cd in the house. I am such a fan now, and some of the people who 'read' these books, are just amazing. Right now, I am listening to JD Robb, and Lisa Scottolione. Barbara Rosenblat has to be the most amazing reader, If you can, look for her. I will be taking this format on my upcoming cruise, as for me, I think this adds to my enjoyment and relaxation.

As far as a memorable book...My son will be 35 in September, and after he was born, there was a book review in this magazine I was reading. When I got home, I got it from the library. One arm held the baby, the other arm held the book.... and 35 years later I am still talking about this book...Will there Really Be A Morning, the autobiography of the 40's movie star, Frances Farmer..a hearbreaking, yet uplifting story of her life..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Well, last Fri. night at midnight, I got the new Harry Potter book. For the whole weekend, I couldn't put it down, except for bathroom breaks, meals, some sleep and some driving errands. Finished it by 11pm Sun. night and started it again the next morning on the train to work. I am only 1/2 way through it the 2nd time, but enjoying it just as much!
I have never, ever read a book twice or more times, with the exception of the whole Harry Potter series, which I have read several times each.

I no longer bother bringing a book on a cruise, because I just never seem to find time to read it!

donna
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Lissey's Story - Stephen King - very AWESOME book (in volume --about 650 pages - as well as in content ). Hard to describe this book but I read it in a weekend - did nothing else that weekend - not a typical chiller thriller, a love story with a great mystery.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I still enjoy reading a good book while cruising when I'm sitting out in the sun at the pool/beach and before sleep. I won't read any other time, so it never interferes with enjoying cruise activities while onboard.

Message Boards Moderator