CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Balcony decorating ideas. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/337050-balcony-decorating-ideas.html)

Russell in MD July 29th, 2007 11:41 AM

Balcony decorating ideas.

We have a larger then usual balcony coming up on the Miracle and Im thinking its worth decorating for chits and giggles.

Just wondering if anyone has any simple ideas.

R

ready2gonow July 29th, 2007 01:41 PM

On another thread, I mentioned Tiki Torches. LOL

It will be rather breezy, so whatever you decide, will need to be secured firmly. I picture some artificial plants here and there, but again, the wind would be an issue. Maybe some battery operated Christmas lights to put around the door?

I'm just a wealth of information, huh? Sorry. :oops:

Ron July 29th, 2007 10:36 PM

I would most humbly remind you that decorating with lights may not be appreciated by you neighbors. Trying to sit on one's balcony with a string of Christmas lights in your face would probably not be appreciated by many.
:wink:

rollerdonna July 29th, 2007 11:04 PM

I always bring a Canada flag windsock with me, so I can spot our balcony from the ground when in port. Any kind of colourful windsock would do.

donna

Russell in MD July 30th, 2007 08:50 AM

The party store nearby has a six foot inflatable palm tree that has a base that doubles as a cooler. :D

Deflated its about the size of a small phone book.

R

Chuck Palm July 30th, 2007 01:25 PM

I hate to be a party pooper or spoilsport, but.....

Remember that everyone on the ship has to look at your decorations. What you may see as festive, others may see as unsightful. There are also safety risks if some of this stuff is unstable in the wind. This stuff can fall on others below, etc.

This is why condominuiums and such do not even allow people to hang beach towels on their balconies. Try to remember what the ship would look like if everyone decorated their balcony in the way they saw fit. It would be a complete mess.

You will undoubtedly get complaints from other tourists and or management if you decorate your balcony in a flambouyant manner.
Or so it seems to me.

Mike M July 30th, 2007 02:18 PM

I have no problem with balcony decorating but I would like to remind people to take their neighbors and the overall safety of the ship into consideration.

Decorations that include open flames: Torches, or other such things are just irresponsible.

If you string up lights please turn them off at a reasonable time. I had a neighbor on the Island Princess that had strung pulsating Christmas lights around their balcony and left them on all night. The cabin on the other side of them also did not enjoy them but it only took one mention of it to the people in the cabin and they shut them off at an early hour.

Take care,
Mike

katlady July 30th, 2007 06:52 PM

Keg of beer and a BBQ. This just sceaming class, plus you share with the next door balconies and they won't complain. :wink:
http://www.bbqs2go.com/images/SBQ-330-new.jpg
http://www.kitchen-hills.com/images/...0005O68L-L.jpg

Ron July 30th, 2007 11:20 PM

Just a thought but exactly who is going to see these decorations except the owner of same and their neighbors? It's not like someone will be floating by in a canoe or sitting on shore 12 miles away and exclaim " Oh look Marge--- they have their balcony all decorated up ". :shock:

How many folks go to a nice resort on land and decorate their balconies with fake trees, lights, etc?
LOL

Cruznut2 July 31st, 2007 05:25 AM

I never decorated my balcony but did my door once. When I took Patty on Carnival Glory I made a poster and put it on the door. It had palm trees and beaches on it. I wrote something about this room is the vacation home of Laura and Patty we are from NH. Where are YOU from?
It was amazing how many people stopped and signed the posters with their names and states.

Laura

DougR. July 31st, 2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2gonow

It will be rather breezy, so whatever you decide, will need to be secured firmly. I picture some artificial plants here and there, but again, the wind would be an issue. Maybe some battery operated Christmas lights to put around the door?

Tiki Torches :shock: ? Darlene, sorry but that is nothing short of insane. Consider the consequences of a fire aboard ship. Yes, I know that you and most others would be extemely careful. It is the 1% who are not that would cause a catatastrophe at sea.

mteague July 31st, 2007 08:44 AM

I decorated our doors this time. It made finding our cabin a LOT easier! I went to the party store and found two door decorations that weren't birthday related. I put the Congrats Grad! Senior 2007! on my daughter's door. I bought sticky velcro and 6 colored sharpie markers and velcroed these around the door frame. SO MANY people signed the door...they loved it!

Now my door was decorated with a full-size Elvis. I like Elvis, but I'm definitely not crazy about him, I just didn't have anything else to choose from. Well people started writing Elvis sayings on our door and that was cute. However, my nephew decided to make him anatomically correct, if you know what I mean. So, I had to mark that out and Elvis looked like he made a mess in his pants. It was totally crazy. I think I'm going to get a Mardi Gras door decoration when they put them out. I'll save it for the next cruise.

Melody

suebecdan July 31st, 2007 10:15 AM

We do not decorate our balcony but we do decorate the door. We are going on a New Years cruise this december with 18 other cabins it is a wedding. I have made signs for everyones door so that the group knows where everyone is. I was fornatunate thateveryone has a nic name so I was bale to incorporate those with out using real names. On the bride and groom door we have order online a great poster that will be on their door. I agree with most posters here that balcony decorations should be kept to a min I would not like to be the neighbor of someone who has decorated their balcony. Just my opinion.

ready2gonow July 31st, 2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2gonow

Tiki Torches :shock: ? Darlene, sorry but that is nothing short of insane. Consider the consequences of a fire aboard ship. Yes, I know that you and most others would be extemely careful. It is the 1% who are not that would cause a catatastrophe at sea.

Honest, it was a JOKE! LOL I guess there could be some that might think it was a good idea. The closest I would ever come to this would be to just "visualize" it. LOL And yes, it would be insane to try something like that! That would be an accident waiting to happen.

mehawk July 31st, 2007 10:36 AM

How about those small paper laterns that you can hang on your patio? The lights are small electric lights inside the globes and would add an erotic appeal.

Mean Dean July 31st, 2007 12:39 PM

Michael,

"Erotic" appeal.............?!! Yikes!! :shock:

Dean

Floridanamaw July 31st, 2007 04:12 PM

I have some of those paper lanterns, except they are battery operated. They smash flat so take up no room at all. Would just have to figure out how to hang them so they stayed on the balcony. Might take them.

mteague July 31st, 2007 09:16 PM

Michael............did you mean "exotic" appeal?

Phil&Liz August 1st, 2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
How about those small paper laterns that you can hang on your patio? The lights are small electric lights inside the globes and would add an erotic appeal.

Do these come from Hooters or Playboy (Playgirl for the ladies) ?

Phil & Liz

Russell in MD August 1st, 2007 09:29 AM

Geeze guys lighten up.

Im just talking about something to give some character to a 5 sided metal enclosure thats basically identical to about 800 others on the ship. No strobe lights, disco balls, or flaming tiki torches. As far as who is going to see it well when your in port you could see it from the dock or another ship that is tied next to you. Come on how many people have people watched other folks on ships that they are tied next to in port?

As far as hanging something I think maybe a small magnet they sell to retrive dropped metal items stuck to the bulkhead would work for hanging something small. After all if it aint glass its metal on a cruise ship.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...6999/36904.gif

We've been decorating our door for the last few cruises so this is just an extension of that. Ive read on other boards about people doing this so Im not a trend setter.

mteague August 1st, 2007 11:21 AM

Well, consider this.....hang an LSU Tigers banner and a New Orleans Saints banner. I think this would be an ideal conversation starter and I don't think anyone would complain.....at least no one from Louisiana, anyway! Stick a few plastic crawfish to the glass door and you will be a certified cajun!!! Would you like me to pick these items up for you? It wouldn't be ANY TROUBLE AT ALL!

Melody

PS Did you know that you can buy a clear plastic lifesize Elvis door decoration at the party store? I have a slightly used one left from my last cruise. You could tape this to the glass door!

Russell in MD August 1st, 2007 11:28 AM

Cant do that. :-P

http://www.shopterps.com/images/products/large/2982.jpg

R

Russell in MD August 1st, 2007 11:38 AM

BTW I'll have plenty of room to work with. LOL

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/137...72352794ejaQwc

R

mteague August 1st, 2007 11:49 AM

I can understand not wanting the USED Elvis poster, but if you PM me your address, I'll send you the Tigers & Saints banners and a few plastic crawfish (with suction cups attached)! I'm sure you will love it!

AND since you have so much EXTRA room, I'm volunteering to be the beach towel holder...just put me in the corner and no one will ever notice! I'll wear my best Mardi Gras costume EVER!

Melody

froggie620 August 1st, 2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Keg of beer and a BBQ. This just sceaming class, plus you share with the next door balconies and they won't complain. :wink:

Nice Idea - But an open flame on a balcony is a NO NO!

froggie620 August 1st, 2007 04:50 PM

Madri Gras Decorations

If I did my calculations correct you are cruising in early January 2008. Madri Gras in Louisiana is February 4 and 5th so even if you cruise after Madri Gras you can still decorate your balcony. Buy Mardi Gras streamers and place them around your balcony door. Buy oversize Madri Gras masks and tape them to the glass doors. Even if you have them taped on the outside, if done right, the wind should not be a factor. Secure Madri Beads with colored masking tape from the balcony railings. Most balconies have some type of pelix-glass barrier so you will still be able to see them if you hang them so they fall on the inside. You do not want to have them (the beads) fall in the ocean where a dolphin or baby whale can swallow them. Especially if you get the beads that are big in circumference (very large beads). Lets keep our dolphins and whales safe.

If you use this idea and it looks nice please send us a photo.

mteague August 1st, 2007 05:43 PM

I've already promised to dress in my very best Mardi Gras costume if they bring me as the beach towel holder......hey, I'll even throw in some Mardi Gras beads!

Melody

katlady August 1st, 2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggie620
Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady

Nice Idea - But an open flame on a balcony is a NO NO!

Okay just the keg of beer with the Mardi Gras beads, streamers and mel in costume. Hey Mel how did you get the Mardi Gras beads. :shock:

mteague August 2nd, 2007 12:50 AM

Why Kat! I got my beads the honest way..........I earned them! :shock:

Melody

Russell in MD August 2nd, 2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstill
Why Kat! I got my beads the honest way..........I earned them! :shock:

Melody

Hmm and you want to volunteer to be a beech towel holder to. LOL

The party store has a hula dancer outfit including a fake coconut shell top. 8)

The more the merrier. Beach towel rustling can get tiresome and it is a vacation after all. I got a MOB going in the CCL MOB section but no one want to come out and play as of yet. I guess its just going to be me and the wife sitting under my inflatable palm tree with a bucket of beer waving to everyone when we leave FtL.

I gotta laugh, 40 people have viewed it but no one has posted anything. Ive always wondered why someone would take the time to view a MOB thread but not post anything. If your not going on that cruise who cares? What do they expect to see or read?

R