CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   For Trip, Macaroni and Cheese Recipe (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/337188-trip-macaroni-cheese-recipe.html)

Paul B July 31st, 2007 07:57 PM

For Trip, Macaroni and Cheese Recipe

Saute a chopped medium onion in oil or water(your choice) until cooked and add to a saucepan containing two cups of milk.

Heat until almost boiling and stir in three cups of grated extra sharp cheddar. When the cheese is melted, add a medium size jar of chopped pimentos ( drained or not).

Boil a 16 oz package of macaroni for 8 minutes or tender and drain well.
Stir it together with the cheese sauce. Pour the whole thing in a large (13 inch) cake pan.

Cube one pound of extra sharp cheddar and push all the cubes into the macaroni mixture. Sprinkle paprika over the top and bake at 350 until the the cubes of cheese that are showing are melted.

You can add salt or pepper if you choose and use sharp cheddar instead of extra sharp. If you don't use any salt in the recipe, a tiny bit sprinkled over a serving really brings out the cheese flavor. Any thing left over can be cut into squares and frozen

Trip July 31st, 2007 08:20 PM

Oh yum Paul.....I am going food shopping Saturday,and will get the fixins..thanks for sharing!

mteague August 1st, 2007 11:55 AM

Sounds good....here is a southern spaghetti and cheese recipe. Boil 2 lbs of #3 spaghetti for 12 minutes, drain DON'T rinse. Cube 1 large block of Velveeta cheese while the spaghetti is boiling. After you've drained the spaghetti, dump the Velveeta in and add 1 or 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 1 or 2 sticks of butter and some salt and black pepper. If it's too thick and sticky, add a little hot water. Pour this into a BIG casserole dish that has been sprayed with PAM. Top with grated cheddar cheese, Bake at 400 degrees until it's bubbly and slightly brown.

Mike M August 1st, 2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstill
Sounds good....here is a southern spaghetti and cheese recipe. Boil 2 lbs of #3 spaghetti for 12 minutes, drain DON'T rinse. Cube 1 large block of Velveeta cheese while the spaghetti is boiling. After you've drained the spaghetti, dump the Velveeta in and add 1 or 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 1 or 2 sticks of butter and some salt and black pepper. If it's too thick and sticky, add a little hot water. Pour this into a BIG casserole dish that has been sprayed with PAM. Top with grated cheddar cheese, Bake at 400 degrees until it's bubbly and slightly brown.

Melody: Southern? That sounds just like "Minn-a-sooda" food. LOL

I grew up with those recipes and it's comfort food. We just call it. "Hot Dish".

Take care,
Mike

dina August 1st, 2007 12:44 PM

I've been wanting to make this version for a while.

Mac 'N Cheese with Bacon and Cheese

Kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
2 or 3 sprigs thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 1/2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh thyme

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, until al dente. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small saucepan heat the milk with the thyme sprigs and 2 garlic cloves. Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, to keep lumps from forming. Strain the solids out of the milk and whisk it into the butter and flour mixture. Continue to whisk vigorously, and cook until the mixture is nice and smooth. Stir in the 4 cups of the cheese and continue to cook and stir to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and the parsley and fold that all in to coat the macaroni with the cheese mixture. Scrape into a 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

While that bakes, heat a saute pan. Add the bacon, render the fat and cook until crispy. Add onion, garlic and thyme leaves and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onion. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, scatter the bacon mixture over the mac and cheese. Use a big spoon to scoop out servings, making sure you get some of the smoking bacon mixture on each spoonful.

mteague August 1st, 2007 12:48 PM

Mike,

No, hon! That's a southern recipe....we just let our yankee friends "borrow" it!

Melody

Deni August 1st, 2007 09:23 PM

I think my cholesterol went up 50 points just by reading this!

:)

Deni

nlb1050 August 2nd, 2007 09:00 AM

With 16 yo grandson here I've copied all the recipes and will tryat least one while he is with us. They all sound great.

VTJen August 2nd, 2007 11:57 AM

If only I could chew...you guys are killing me. They all sound delish. I had never thought to put in pimentos. I usually make old fashioned baked mac and cheese. I'll go get a drink - at least I have graduated from the syringe that I had to use the first week to slurping out of a water bottle.