Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default What food would you NOT try?

Yesterday I posted about trying different things on a cruise. Today I ask what you would NOT try on a cruise or elsewhere. I have tried many things but I refuse to try snake meat. The idea of it gives me the creeps. I am terribly afraid of snakes alive or dead.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM
First Mate

Oh Yeah, the snake meat is on the top of my list also. Wouldn't even want to try escargot or any kind of sushi

Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Admiral

I doubt they would serve this on a cruise, but I just refuse to eat tripe.
Nor will I eat any organ meat - hearts, kidneys or liver. Or blood sausage.
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I tried tripe once. Never again!!! It made me shiver from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I ad not thought of that for years. My father used to like it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Admiral

No squid or octopus for me. On last cruise they used baby octopus in almost all mices seafood items, so I was constantly moving them to the side of my plate. To me both are just too rubbery.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Bugs. At the Insectarium in Montreal, they are always getting people to try sauteed bugs or chocolate covered insects. NO thank you!

donna
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Admiral

"Insectarium" Donna, is that a place for insane bugs?
---Mark Twain

Old August 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

I'm with Donna. NO bugs for me, thank you. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) got me to try escargot, and now I can't wait to get it! As a matter of fact, on our last "Glory" cruise they had it on the alternative menu, so I got it every night. (If you like garlic, I'd think you'd like escargot)

Ken
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Cat or Dog I love my little animals and I just couldn't eat them.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There is nothing I will not try "once". My philosophy is "Good is Good". If I like it then I will probably eat it again. I will stay away from organ meats served from food stalls but otherwise I will eat them with no problem. I love liver, tripe, chitlins (if properly cleaned), insects (again, if properly cleaned), agar, (juice from beef eyeballs) and sweet breads.

Almost all seafood is delicious to me, except for cheap roes (caviar or fish eggs) they are just too fishy.

There are foods I won't go out of my way to eat. I do feel that just because it is normal in one part of the world I don't condemn that part of the world for eating it. People in other parts of the world look at what we eat and gag.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Nothing that can't fly,or swim Deep!
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Anything other than vegetables that is not cooked.
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I'd like somebody to post immediately if they're offered dog or cat or even snake on a ship. I'll be cancelling my bookings on that line PDQ.

Generally, I'm with Mike. I'll try most anything within reason, and decide whether I like it. The place you really get to test this point of view is not on a cruise, but on a several week trip through China.

Big difference between not being willing to try something and not liking it after you do. I'm not a fan of most sushi, but I love rare tuna. I used to eat tripe all the time as a kid. My Italian uncle used to cook it up in tomato sauce, and I didn't find anything wrong with it. Haven't had it in ages. Not a big fan of liver, except in pate.

But, you know, if it's something I haven't tried I certainly will. Nothing they offer you on a ship is so off-the-wall that it isn't worth a try, IMO. Frankly, there's nothing on most ships' menus that isn't reasonably mainstream.

I still can't understand why people covet those awful lobster tails they serve on board. The only thing I can figure is that they've never eaten good, fresh lobster, well-prepared. I have a theory that they like the butter more than the lobster. Just like I think many people who like escargots like the garlic butter better than the snails.
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

have you ever have someone ask you to try something without telling you what it is?..and if you like it..then they tell you after...if you knew what it was you would not have tried it in the first place ?
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

YES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

ALLIGATOR!!!!!!

My friend invited me for dinner and served alligator. It was delicious until I knew what it was!!!

Melody
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Monday Night, watch the travel chanel. Andrew Zimmern, Bizare foods, will eat anything. Next come Anthony Bourdain, No reservations, a crazy eater as well.Tomorrow they are together for both shows...

It should be a food fest of nasty bits and pieces..Mike set your dvr:):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Venice.................yes............was in a Chinese Resturant......we knew the owner.....he said he wanted me to try something.....I'll try anything once....twice if I like it.......it was dark in the bar......he brought out a bowl of soup........I tasted the broth.....good....then I put something in my mouth......it was nasty!!! I wanted to spit......didn't know what to do with it....I asked him what it was.......wouldn't tell me....after I got it down he told me it was blood soup........

Not too found of raw seafood...but I'll try most anything.......

Sharon
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Sharon,

BLEEEEEEEEEEECCCKKKKK!!!!

Melody
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM
First Mate

OOOOOOOOOOoooook, there just went my appetite for the rest of the night......Priscilla won't have to worry about fixin anything for me now.........

Dewayne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Yes, I had someone (a friend of a friend) ask me to try this dish she had made. I tried it without knowing what it was and I enjoyed a couple of servings. I finally asked her what it was and she told me, "It's beef tongue".
Mike M, I'm with you. My folks are from Texas and My DW's folks are from Missouri and Alabama. Growing up you kinda' ate what was put before you. We enjoyed chitlins, tripe, fried green tomatoes, pig feet and pig snoot (great bar-b-q'ed). Mustard, turnip and collard greens. Hog maws, head cheese and polk salad. 8)
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Admiral

My Mother cooked moose roasts and always told us it was roast beef. Years later she confessed. It was fine then but I doubt that I would eat it again. If I ever get tricked into eating snake meat the person who did it will be dead meat!!!

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Admiral

We've had alligator a couple of times here in Florida. Taste like chicken! As a matter of fact, I can't see any reason to pay so much for it, since it taste just like chicken. Might as well just buy chicken.....

Ken
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Admiral

No reptilian items for me.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Admiral

I was going to say beef tongue, but one of you beat me to it! Actually, it was served in our college cafeteria out in Iowa and I did have some-but no more. I can't seem to get past the "Lines" in the meat. I do like beef steak and kidney pie-my former husband could never deal with the kidney part, so he was sent outside to grill his own chicken (at my parents' house many years ago.)
donna, when I was in 8th grade, my teacher brought in chocolate covered ants. Not too bad-like a Nestle's Crunch Bar. I haven't had any since, though.

Yes, Alligator does taste like chicken! We took our now soon to be 15 year old granddaughter to the restaurant on the pier in Punta Gorda several years ago and told her the alligator tidbits-appetizers- were chicken nuggets. She ate them. They aren't too bad, actually!

Yesterday we were discussing different foods--there is an oyster place in Lake Alfred, I think, Ken-that has fresh steamed oysters cooked and served right in front of you. Then we got to talking about rattlesnake meat-it is served in Arizona, I think. There was a place in Ohio that had it on its menu--like a sampler platter with other things. Not for me.

I've had sushi in pinwheels on a plate. But you will never begin to disguise lima beans well enough for me not to detect them!!

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

I've tried a lot of oddball things. The mosd difficult for me to try was grasshoppers in Oaxaca, Mexico. They were okay as it turned out.

Other things I have tried that I have learned to like are:
alligator, octopus, tongue, kidney, beef testicles, ant eggs,yucca, guinea pig, cactus, & humming bird liver pate. (Just kidding on the last item, it would be tooooo hard to catch that many humming birds!) ;-)

Things I've tried I'm not fond of include tripe & heart

P.S. In peru we visited a guinea pig farm and that was difficult to get used to as a basic food item. They are so damn cute!
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Chuck Palm is a DEFINITE Survivor candidate!
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'd like to have a dollar for every Rocky Mountain oyster I've eaten. Every year there is an "Oyster" feed where we go pheasant hunting. They are excellent. The only problem is that they are deep fried and this makes them a bit tough. At least they clean them well and remove the outer membrane. BTW: The "oysters" are hog's testicles.

I would have no problem with snake meat being served on a cruise. I would not appreciate it if they served dog or cat and I could never imagine any cruise line doing it and it is one thing that I would not go out of my way to eat but I don't condemn any culture for doing it. Even though I love my dog.

I have eaten grasshoppers, ants, crickets, beetles and bees. All of them were actually quite good. I don't eat these things to be "manly" or to gross people out. I eat them because, when they are properly prepared, they are usually very good. The problem is that many people eat them when they are cooked by people who have no idea of what they are doing. That is why they eat octopus that is like rubber, eel that tastes like cheap roe, Rocky Mountain Oysters that are like rubber and seafood that is rotten. I found one thing for sure: Most American's can't cook, exotic foods.

Oh yeah: I have tried Balut: "Fertilized duck embryos in the egg" and they aren't bad but make sure you put a lot of vinegar on them. These are pretty gross and I won't go out my way to eat them again.

I also have to agree with AR about most ship's lobster. I personally find it bland and tasteless and the escargot is canned blobs. It's the garlic sauce and drawn butter that gives either of these any flavor. I rarely order lobster on formal night. But everyone's palette and tastes are different so that's OK.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050
No squid or octopus for me. On last cruise they used baby octopus in almost all mices seafood items, so I was constantly moving them to the side of my plate. To me both are just too rubbery.
Same here. I was at a luau in Hawaii, and one of the foods served was octopus, which I tried by mistake. I not only had to move it to the side of my plate, I had to move it to under my plate, and it still put me off of my meal.
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Don't think i could eat kidney or liver, but that's more a texture thing. I've had sweetbreads, but it had no real taste so not sure why you'd bother (this was on a work trip to Belgium, so I kind of had to eat it or offend my colleagues). But I also don't like that they're filter organs and I wonder what might be residual in there.

Snake wouldn't bother me, I've had eel and alligator. Eel is actually pretty good.

As far as sushi goes, a lot of it is cooked especially as far as the rolls go. They can't serve raw shrimp or scallops. but if you've never had raw sushi grade tuna and get a chance to try it, do it. It has a nice texture and not bad "fishy" at all. Yum.

I've had steak tartare, and that was good, but I like my beef practically mooing anyway. Elk, moose or deer don't bother me, had most of them at one point. I'd eat ostrich too. Don't think I could bring myself to eat squirrel or possum like my friend from Louisiana did as a kid. lol

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....