Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default American Bandstand Turns 50!

American Bandstand turned 50 today...Can you stand it? I was too young when it started to appreciate it, BUT I do remember learning to do the towist with my hula hoop, [red of course]

Were you a fan? Did you have a favorite couple to watch on the dance floor? Were you ever on the hsow, or knew someone who was?

And we all know Dick Clark had a picture of Dorian Gray in his attic, that man just never aged.

Now, he must look back, with a smile to see what he started, and treasure the memories he gave to so many..

We had Boston Ballroom here, a not so groovy copy..My sister was on the show.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Captain

my sister and i watch american bandstand every day after school
i still listen to th 50 music that was real music not like the music
kids listen today
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Admiral

I also watched it whenever it was on. I actually had a cousin that was on one of the shows. I miss the show American Dreams that had American Bandstand as part of the show.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I use to watch it in the 60's, but when Soul Train came on I switched loyalties..also I use to watch Alan Freed out of Philadelphia which I thought was much cooler

Dick Clark is a very interesting (and rich) guy and is never given enough credit for having the courage (and the "juice") to have African American singers on his show when the sponsors did not want them

I wonder when they make the movie about his life, who will play him?
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I never watched a lot of American Bandstand, but I do remember the local dance show in Houston, The Larry Kane show. It took a while for me to remember the name of the show!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I remember watching it on the weekends......was fun to hear the new songs.....always seem to take awhile to get here.....

Met Dick Clark in Seattle maybe 30 years ago......he was the nicest man....was willing to go to someones car because the husband had left before he got to meet Dick as he wasn't feeling well.......thougth that was a great gesture.......

Sharon
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While most things he touched turned to gold..his restaurant, in Miami, Bayside, which is now the Hardrock, was called I think..Dick Clarks Rock and Roll Restaurant. Let me thell you, other than the location, and the memorabilia, it was awful, & didn't last that long... This man MUST have the best rock and roll collection ever..

I hope his health has improved:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

in a few years I turn 50...does that mean I have to grow up
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

We didn't have cable way back when, so we didn't get a lot of American TV shows, until much later.... I do remember watching AB around the time the Jackson 5 and the Osmond Brothers were young and popular though.

donna
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Admiral

I have to admit that I watched it from the very beginning. The thing that I remember most was when they'd rate a new song. It was always "well, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it,, so I'll give it a 7". 8)

Ken
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
I have to admit that I watched it from the very beginning. The thing that I remember most was when they'd rate a new song. It was always "well, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it,, so I'll give it a 7". 8)

Ken
Ken, I bet that is a line you still use today!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default AB

Yes, I watched it from its inception! I do not think that I ever missed a show. It never received rave reviews from my teachers (Sisters of St. Joseph) however, we as teenagers, loved it.!

I guess you could say that I was a Catholic School snob!

We always used to watch the difference between the public school girls and how they dressed (tight skirts and sweaters - not all but some) and the catholic school girls with their uniforms. There is something to be said for "class" (I grew up with these values and gave them to my children and they are giving them to theirs.)

While we envied how the public school girls dressed, deep down we realized that the catholic school girls (although seemingly forced)
had a certain level or respect for themselves.

Now, I am changed, the world has changed. Public, Private and Parochial schools have changed and become one.

I miss AB more than you can know, because I long to, perhaps, have the chance to go back to the time when life was carefree and happy 24/7!

Diane
Ready for Medicare in October!

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Captain

I was a major AB fan! My sisters are 6 & 7 years older than me so they were in their teens in the 50's. I listened/watched everything they did, was crazy about rock n roll music, Bill Haley and the Comets and Elvis!!!

Of course they left home by the 60's so my folks had to deal with me and the British Invasion!!! :-) I was a Beatle fanatic!

Any TV show that involved music I was watching. I was lucky my mom (41 when I was born) liked to watch, too. In fact she was a major fan of Soul Train and believe it or not she loved the Monkees.

Ahh, those were the days, my friends!
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM
First Mate

i was very young, but i do remember watching with my older sisters.
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

I watched the show everyday in its early years and felt like I knew the various regular dancers during that time period. Just saw the movie "Hairspray" which was based on American Bandstand and felt like dancing in the aisles to the music played during the end credits. I plan to see it again as it is a really "feel good" movie.
Cindy