CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   atlantic crossing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/337534-atlantic-crossing.html)

kevin c August 6th, 2007 07:26 PM

atlantic crossing

hi, iv'e cruised several times all solo and loved it. but i'm thinking to be a true sailor of the seas you got to cross the pond. what do you all think?

CruisinK n J August 6th, 2007 07:39 PM

Atlantic Crossing

A crossing is an experience. I've never forgotten either one.

The first one was in May, 2000 on the Grand Princess. It was a wonderful
smooth crossing, and all the passengers looked relaxed and looked like they enjoyed themselves.

The second crossing was in April, 2004 on Cunard's QE2. It was an historic crossing done in tandem with the new QM. It stormed the entire five days and damaged the main salon of the QE2. We watched crews repair her in NYC. The cruise was extremely rough with high winds. Lots of people were sick.

My suggestion would be definitely to do a crossing but during the smoother summer months. Yes, there will be those who say there's no way to predict rough seas, but summer's better for sailing the big pond!

Judy

mteague August 6th, 2007 07:41 PM

We have several Cruisemates doing a tranatlantic cruise! They can give us the update when they return. I'm really liking the extra sea days. I bet you wouldn't have to RUSH to do everything. We did just about everything on our last cruise. Someone in our group participated in almost every event. It makes the "Voyage DVD" look like our personal video! We just had to buy it!

Melody

belgique August 6th, 2007 09:12 PM

I cruised solo from Genoa to Fort Lauderdale on the Costa Atlantica in 2002. It was wonderful! The Italian flair of the ship and passengers made it even more special - more like a real "ocean liner crossing" than a regular cruise (not that I mind those at all!).

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The extra days at sea are wonderful for meeting people, reflecting, relaxing and just enjoying life!

Just do it!

Mean Dean August 8th, 2007 12:36 AM

In my way of thinking, to become a true sailor of the seas, you need to earn your shellback.

And for you pollywogs out there, shellback status means you've crossed the Equator, if you haven't, you're a pollywog!

Dean

mteague August 8th, 2007 08:14 AM

I've crossed it by air.....am I still a pollywog???

skymaster August 8th, 2007 09:00 AM

I've crossed the equator not once, but several times, both by sea, and by air. Does that make me a "super shellback"? :shock: I look forward to retiring, so I'll have time to take the repositioning cruises. (probably won't have the money then!) I love the sea days, and couldn't care less about most ports. Perhaps that'll change when I retire and can make liesurely visits to more exotic ports around the world.

Ken

susancruzs August 12th, 2007 09:42 PM

I'm a major fan of transatlantics and repositioning cruises! :-)

My first cruises were in 82 and 83, eastern and then western caribbean.
I knew I loved being onboard a ship but after the 7 day cruises I knew I wanted more days at sea.

In 1984, I sailed the ssNorway from England to Miami and again in 1996 the other direction, Miami up to New York and then across to France.

I've also done the Tahiti to Hawaii cruise. which involved crossing the equator. My first Hawaii to Vancouver involved sea days on the original Love Boat, you had to like sea days on such a small ship.

I've sailed from Los Angles up to Alaska and then back to Vancouver, which was a great repositioning cruise.

I took a Panama Canal cruise that was 14 nights and only 5 ports. I thought it was great, alot of people were unhappy as the ship was small.

I'd take sea days and repositioning cruises any day over sailing in and out of the same port.

Lisa August 13th, 2007 02:51 AM

I've done a couple of repo cruises.........one was a 7 day repo from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale. I LOVED that cruise........it was on the Enchantment of the Seas just 2 months post stretch. I had a cabin in the new section of the ship.......and the itinerary was fascinating. I fell in love with Cornerbrook, New Foundland. I also loved the Saguenay River.

My other repo cruise was actually a partial transpacific........an 11 day Honolulu to Vancouver on the Celebrity Summit. We had 6 days around the Hawaiian Islands and then took off from Hilo for 5 1/2 sea days up to Vancouver. This was in May and the seas were not bad. I found more than enough to do on the ship during those sea days. It was a good feeling though to see land about 4:00 in the afternoon on the last full day of the cruise......we were able to see the Washington Coast and the entrance to the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

I am doing a 12 day transatlantic this fall on the Jewel of the Seas from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. I am looking forward to the 6 straight sea days from Funchal to Fort Lauderdale. 25 hour days (more sleep, yeah!!!!!!)

Pootersdad August 13th, 2007 07:20 AM

Transatlantic Crossings

We've done two transatlantic crossings - one on Jewel and one on Brilliance. Both were great, unless you consider that one Brilliance we sailed through the end of a hurricane, and had huge swells. Great fun! LOL

We're booked on the Independence OTS crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton in April 2009. Our first eastbound TA crossing.

Rev22:17 August 13th, 2007 10:43 PM

Dean,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
In my way of thinking, to become a true sailor of the seas, you need to earn your shellback.

And for you pollywogs out there, shellback status means you've crossed the Equator, if you haven't, you're a pollywog!

Actually, "shellback" is one of several distinctions that sailors earn. There's also the "Order of the Golden Dragon" for crossing the International Date Line, the "Honorary Dolphins" for being aboard a submarine when it submerged, and the "Blue Nose" for crossing the Arctic Circle or Antarctic Circle. I'm not a "shellback" yet because I crossed the Equator on an airplane rather than a ship, but I have my "Blue Nose" and my "Honorary Dophins" -- both from my time on active duty, BTW.

Norm.

kevin c August 15th, 2007 05:26 PM

norm, thanks for your answer. i will try and cross the equator. but first it will be crossing the atlantic. kevin c.

katlady August 15th, 2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I've done a couple of repo cruises.........one was a 7 day repo from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale. I LOVED that cruise........it was on the Enchantment of the Seas just 2 months post stretch. I had a cabin in the new section of the ship.......and the itinerary was fascinating. I fell in love with Cornerbrook, New Foundland. I also loved the Saguenay River.

My other repo cruise was actually a partial transpacific........an 11 day Honolulu to Vancouver on the Celebrity Summit. We had 6 days around the Hawaiian Islands and then took off from Hilo for 5 1/2 sea days up to Vancouver. This was in May and the seas were not bad. I found more than enough to do on the ship during those sea days. It was a good feeling though to see land about 4:00 in the afternoon on the last full day of the cruise......we were able to see the Washington Coast and the entrance to the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

I am doing a 12 day transatlantic this fall on the Jewel of the Seas from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. I am looking forward to the 6 straight sea days from Funchal to Fort Lauderdale. 25 hour days (more sleep, yeah!!!!!!)

Hi Lisa,
Here is a people cam for Funchal http://www.madeira-web.com/camera/cam-09.html There is an eight hour time difference. If you let me know what time and day you will be there I can watch for you on the people cam. :D I like looking at in when I get to work. I can picture myself halfway across the globe.

Kuki August 16th, 2007 01:19 AM

We've done a couple of transatlantic crossings. One in the spring, and one in the fall.

And we're going again next spring... so they can't be too bad LOL LOL

I love the sea days during the crossing. I prefer the east to west (Because of all the 25 hr days ), but either way will do :wink: