Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Default atlantic crossing

hi, iv'e cruised several times all solo and loved it. but i'm thinking to be a true sailor of the seas you got to cross the pond. what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Default Atlantic Crossing

A crossing is an experience. I've never forgotten either one.

The first one was in May, 2000 on the Grand Princess. It was a wonderful
smooth crossing, and all the passengers looked relaxed and looked like they enjoyed themselves.

The second crossing was in April, 2004 on Cunard's QE2. It was an historic crossing done in tandem with the new QM. It stormed the entire five days and damaged the main salon of the QE2. We watched crews repair her in NYC. The cruise was extremely rough with high winds. Lots of people were sick.

My suggestion would be definitely to do a crossing but during the smoother summer months. Yes, there will be those who say there's no way to predict rough seas, but summer's better for sailing the big pond!

Judy
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

We have several Cruisemates doing a tranatlantic cruise! They can give us the update when they return. I'm really liking the extra sea days. I bet you wouldn't have to RUSH to do everything. We did just about everything on our last cruise. Someone in our group participated in almost every event. It makes the "Voyage DVD" look like our personal video! We just had to buy it!

Melody
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I cruised solo from Genoa to Fort Lauderdale on the Costa Atlantica in 2002. It was wonderful! The Italian flair of the ship and passengers made it even more special - more like a real "ocean liner crossing" than a regular cruise (not that I mind those at all!).

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The extra days at sea are wonderful for meeting people, reflecting, relaxing and just enjoying life!

Just do it!
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Admiral

In my way of thinking, to become a true sailor of the seas, you need to earn your shellback.

And for you pollywogs out there, shellback status means you've crossed the Equator, if you haven't, you're a pollywog!

Dean
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I've crossed it by air.....am I still a pollywog???
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I've crossed the equator not once, but several times, both by sea, and by air. Does that make me a "super shellback"? I look forward to retiring, so I'll have time to take the repositioning cruises. (probably won't have the money then!) I love the sea days, and couldn't care less about most ports. Perhaps that'll change when I retire and can make liesurely visits to more exotic ports around the world.

Ken
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Captain

I'm a major fan of transatlantics and repositioning cruises! :-)

My first cruises were in 82 and 83, eastern and then western caribbean.
I knew I loved being onboard a ship but after the 7 day cruises I knew I wanted more days at sea.

In 1984, I sailed the ssNorway from England to Miami and again in 1996 the other direction, Miami up to New York and then across to France.

I've also done the Tahiti to Hawaii cruise. which involved crossing the equator. My first Hawaii to Vancouver involved sea days on the original Love Boat, you had to like sea days on such a small ship.

I've sailed from Los Angles up to Alaska and then back to Vancouver, which was a great repositioning cruise.

I took a Panama Canal cruise that was 14 nights and only 5 ports. I thought it was great, alot of people were unhappy as the ship was small.

I'd take sea days and repositioning cruises any day over sailing in and out of the same port.
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I've done a couple of repo cruises.........one was a 7 day repo from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale. I LOVED that cruise........it was on the Enchantment of the Seas just 2 months post stretch. I had a cabin in the new section of the ship.......and the itinerary was fascinating. I fell in love with Cornerbrook, New Foundland. I also loved the Saguenay River.

My other repo cruise was actually a partial transpacific........an 11 day Honolulu to Vancouver on the Celebrity Summit. We had 6 days around the Hawaiian Islands and then took off from Hilo for 5 1/2 sea days up to Vancouver. This was in May and the seas were not bad. I found more than enough to do on the ship during those sea days. It was a good feeling though to see land about 4:00 in the afternoon on the last full day of the cruise......we were able to see the Washington Coast and the entrance to the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

I am doing a 12 day transatlantic this fall on the Jewel of the Seas from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. I am looking forward to the 6 straight sea days from Funchal to Fort Lauderdale. 25 hour days (more sleep, yeah!!!!!!)
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Captain

Default Transatlantic Crossings

We've done two transatlantic crossings - one on Jewel and one on Brilliance. Both were great, unless you consider that one Brilliance we sailed through the end of a hurricane, and had huge swells. Great fun!

We're booked on the Independence OTS crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton in April 2009. Our first eastbound TA crossing.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Dean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
In my way of thinking, to become a true sailor of the seas, you need to earn your shellback.

And for you pollywogs out there, shellback status means you've crossed the Equator, if you haven't, you're a pollywog!
Actually, "shellback" is one of several distinctions that sailors earn. There's also the "Order of the Golden Dragon" for crossing the International Date Line, the "Honorary Dolphins" for being aboard a submarine when it submerged, and the "Blue Nose" for crossing the Arctic Circle or Antarctic Circle. I'm not a "shellback" yet because I crossed the Equator on an airplane rather than a ship, but I have my "Blue Nose" and my "Honorary Dophins" -- both from my time on active duty, BTW.

Norm.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
First Mate

norm, thanks for your answer. i will try and cross the equator. but first it will be crossing the atlantic. kevin c.
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa
I've done a couple of repo cruises.........one was a 7 day repo from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale. I LOVED that cruise........it was on the Enchantment of the Seas just 2 months post stretch. I had a cabin in the new section of the ship.......and the itinerary was fascinating. I fell in love with Cornerbrook, New Foundland. I also loved the Saguenay River.

My other repo cruise was actually a partial transpacific........an 11 day Honolulu to Vancouver on the Celebrity Summit. We had 6 days around the Hawaiian Islands and then took off from Hilo for 5 1/2 sea days up to Vancouver. This was in May and the seas were not bad. I found more than enough to do on the ship during those sea days. It was a good feeling though to see land about 4:00 in the afternoon on the last full day of the cruise......we were able to see the Washington Coast and the entrance to the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

I am doing a 12 day transatlantic this fall on the Jewel of the Seas from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. I am looking forward to the 6 straight sea days from Funchal to Fort Lauderdale. 25 hour days (more sleep, yeah!!!!!!)
Hi Lisa,
Here is a people cam for Funchal http://www.madeira-web.com/camera/cam-09.html There is an eight hour time difference. If you let me know what time and day you will be there I can watch for you on the people cam. I like looking at in when I get to work. I can picture myself halfway across the globe.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We've done a couple of transatlantic crossings. One in the spring, and one in the fall.

And we're going again next spring... so they can't be too bad

I love the sea days during the crossing. I prefer the east to west (Because of all the 25 hr days ), but either way will do