Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Will Jeans in the Dining Room Make You More Likely to Try NCL?
Yes 10 20.41%
No 23 46.94%
Makes no difference to me 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default NCL: Jeans are now allowed in all Dining Rooms: Poll

NCL has published their official release and they have updated their webpage:

NCL Dress Code FAQ

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...=FAQ#dresscode

How should I dress for dinner?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times.

So will this make you less, more likely to try NCL or doesn't it make a difference?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

I guess it doesn't make any difference to me. When I go to dinner, I like to dress up a bit. The dinner table is set up so lovely as well as the wait staff. I feel the need to dress up. But if others don't then its not going to bother me.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Admiral

If the service and the quality of food is the same, jeans won't bother me any!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

To clarify... jeans will not cause me to choose NCL, now, if I see jeans in the dining room, I'll say... "Hi Jean" or "Hello Gene"... what...? Oh, wrong jean.

Seriously, I'll just look down my nose with disdain at the jeans wearer and consume my meal.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My personal opinion is that it really doesn't make too much difference to me. I do think that venues such as Le Bistro and Cagney's should be a bit more upscale and jeans downgrade the atmosphere; especially in Le Bistro.

I am glad they have stayed with one dining room remaining formal but I wonder where they will draw the line with "nice" jeans. I personally find any jeans that have holes in them, not very nice. There are many, high priced, stylish jeans that are already "holed" for their customers. They be the latest "style" but IMO don't reflect style.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I may or may not wear jeans to any dining room when cruising, it never made a big difference to me. I think a nice pair of jeans and a nice top would of always been fine, but it was not the dress code. In the future, I may pack slightly different and have a nice blouse and a new pair of jeans for dinner, I think that looks fine.

May-be the other lines will adjust their dress code, after all some people wear what they want anyway, why make a big deal out of it and not enforce their dress code.

Time will tell.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Admiral

IMO - NCL is really downgrading the whole cruising experience, but then the Chinese bought the line a number of years ago with their Star Ferries and let the Norway go to seed.

No way will I ever sail on NCL again. And, I sailed with them 6 times - four before they were sold to Star.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My guilty secret is this - I love not to have to dress up. OK, I see jeans in the dressing room and I get uppity - now, But in a few years it will be like the Cheesecake factory - no one will ven think twice about it...

I have sen jeans on almost every ship oyut there lately, why not make it official.

I will, however, wear black jeans, not my overall bluejean jumpsuit with the buttons in the back seat...
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Admiral

Thank goodness, Paul - I'd hate to see you wearing Oshkosh By Gosh overalls!!! Or jeans at dinner on any cruise line.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Been on 3 Princess and 1 MSC and have seen jeans in the dining room on all 4 cruises, even though not part of the dress code. IT definitely DID NOT affect our cruise in any way!

Some were fancy and others plain but none had holes so the person looked neatly dressed.

Our next cruise is on NCL but we will not be bringing jeans as they are just too warm for a Caribbean cruise.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Admiral

wouldnt bother me abit. I doubt I would wear jeans at dinner. I do wear formal two nights. We enjoy this. I tend to wear capri's and dressy tops, a skirt, sundress the other nights. The guys, dockers and neat polo shirts, or mens shirt. They wear dark suits on the nights we go formal. I could see my DS wear his good jeans with a polo shirt. That's just what I like, but in no way do what others wear affect me in any way or change my cruise expierience in any way.
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
If the service and the quality of food is the same, jeans won't bother me any!
I feel the same way as you. I go to the dining room to enjoy great food and wonderful service ... no matter what cruise line I'm on. Of course, I would prefer if everyone around me were dressed decently ... jeans are fine, but I would hope they would be neat and without any holes or tears in them. But, the bottom line is that I go to the dining room to enjoy a nice environment, people behaving themselves and enjoying their meals and letting me enjoy mine. If they choose to enjoy their meals in jeans, that's fine by me.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Admiral

You have to go with the times I guess. besides once they are seated
you can't see the jeans.
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Default badly dressed cruisers

If ncl wants to let people dress like there at a Las Vegas buffet then I won't be sailing with them. Where does it stop bathrobs and sandels? The dining room is not the pool!
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL: Jeans are now allowed in all Dining Rooms: Poll

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
NCL has published their official release and they have updated their webpage:

NCL Dress Code FAQ

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...=FAQ#dresscode

How should I dress for dinner?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times.

So will this make you less, more likely to try NCL or doesn't it make a difference?
I am glad to see a major cruise line offer a "jeans are acceptable" product for those who wish that type of product.

I'm not drawn to Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) because the "frestyle cruising" concept is not my style. I prefer the more traditional cruise product. The new dress policy certainly does not make me more likely to choose NCL, but does it make me less likely to choose NCL? Everything else being equal, I would choose a cruise line that enforced a "no jeans in the evening" policy, excepting perhaps the evening of a country "hoe-down" or some similar event, over one that did not, but I really can't say that it makes me less likely to go where I would not have gone anyway in the case of NCL.

Norm.
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
To clarify... jeans will not cause me to choose NCL, now, if I see jeans in the dining room, I'll say... "Hi Jean" or "Hello Gene"... what...? Oh, wrong jean.

Seriously, I'll just look down my nose with disdain at the jeans wearer and consume my meal.
Have you never seen anyone smart with a nice pair of jeans on? I go on a cruise to relax, and have a good time, dressing up in a monkey suit and a bow tie is'nt my idea of having a good time. I'm sure my dress would not offend anyone. As for looking down your nose with distain at anyone not dressing like you strikes me as snobbery. I think you'd enjoy the Cunard ships much more than the Carnival Fun Ships. Bet you'd love dressing up for 'afternoon tea'
Whatever floats your boat.
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk

Have you never seen anyone smart with a nice pair of jeans on? I go on a cruise to relax, and have a good time, dressing up in a monkey suit and a bow tie is'nt my idea of having a good time. I'm sure my dress would not offend anyone. As for looking down your nose with distain at anyone not dressing like you strikes me as snobbery. I think you'd enjoy the Cunard ships much more than the Carnival Fun Ships. Bet you'd love dressing up for 'afternoon tea'
Whatever floats your boat.
My friend, you are absolutely correct. I really get my satisfaction by being a snob, dressing each night in my tux and tails with the extravagant bow tie, complete with white gloves, and top hat that I insist the waiter keep at the ready for my departure. As for my afternoon tea, but of course, I enjoy wearing my suit as the tea is delivered to my friends and I in the ships library. The temperature had better be correct and the tea leaves of the proper vintage or I'll demand the replacement of it all. Nothing is more irritating that the milk being curdled for the tea. Yuck. That is worth a verbal berating of the scoundrels in public. You are sadly mistaking about me dressing up in a monkey suit as that would be quite comical and far be it for me to be a comic. Besides, a costume with hair all over it and a headcover to place over my own impeccable face and hair is not an attractive option for me. It would also be out of place for my cruisemates friends. I have a reputation to uphold as my cruisemates friends have experienced as recently as our Thanksgiving trip on the Carnival Freedom and they were in awe as I dresed so dashingly in my tuxedo when we had our get together in the quiet confines of the dance club, or the piano bar, where I wowed them with my witty turns of the ivories, the immaculate bearing of my dress every evening at dinner, and my insistence of every hair being place on everybody that was honored to stand in my presence as I allowed them to experience the pleasure of my presence in a photograph. Ask any of the cruisemates who have met me, especially in person, and they will regale you with the experience of life with the great one as I viewed each of them at the end of my nose being stuck in the rarified air of the great ones.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Michael,

You do look sharp in your tuxedo. You set a fine example; and if more passengers followed your's, cruising would return to being the elegant affair it used to be before jeans.

Dean
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Michael,

You do look sharp in your tuxedo. You set a fine example; and if more passengers followed your's, cruising would return to being the elegant affair it used to be before jeans.

Dean
Thanks Dean

Old February 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Admiral

I look at it as almost evolutionary....
Years ago men wore short satin pants and white wigs...women wore elaborate gowns with a pillow strapped to their butt.

Our dads wore skinny ties and leisure suits. We wore Angel Flight slacks and open collar shirts.

Fashion changes.

Rather than call 'em jeans (which conjures visions of holes, stains and plumber's crack) call them denim pants.
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Admiral

A secret... on my last cruise I wore jeans to the evening meal in the dining room once, with a button-down dres shirt and a jacket.

On another evening meal, I wore shorts with a silk caribbean shirt.

I was such a very, very bad boy.

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Passenger

As I previously stated' whatever floats your boat' However tuxes and black butterflys are not my scene. Every hair in place! Should be easy for you. Sorry about that
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
As I previously stated' whatever floats your boat' However tuxes and black butterflys are not my scene. Every hair in place! Should be easy for you. Sorry about that
As a matter of fact...