Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Prescription For A Cruise

Over the next two weeks I go for both of my annual physicals..one with my cardiologist and one with my orthopedic surgeon..I have phsycial therapy once a year which I have managed to convince my ortho doctor should be done on a cruise ship with a hydrotherapy pool which he gladly agrees

It caused me to think about what ailments a doctor could write a prescription for (just for fun of course)

I'll start

one week at the spa for my aching back

other suggestions ??
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I pulled a gluteus maximus muscle last night doing Pilates, so I need a week's rest in a lounge chair by the pool on a cruise ship.....
Oh! and a massage wouldn't hurt either!

donna
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I think a week spent staring at calm seas would help with my stress levels!

Melody
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Whenever I need to relieve a little stress I need something like this:

A warm tropical evening aboard a ship. A steel-drum band playing some Jimmy Buffet songs. An ice-cold beverage featuring a little Captain. A lovely young lady to dance with.

Ahh...........

I can feel the stress melting away already..............!

Dean
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Melody...do you and Mean Dean go to the same doctor?
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Admiral

As most of you know, I had a triple bypass recently, and at the time of the surgery, I had a 7 day aboard Glory booked, slightly less than 3 weeks from that surgery. I told the surgeon that i WOULD be going on that cruise, and he looked at me with "that look", but asked where it was going. I politely told him, that it didn't matter, as when I cruise, I sit by the pool, relax, unwind, and let people wait on me. He agreed that it wouldn't hurt to go. (I did go, and it was the best thing in the world for my rehabilitation) THEREFORE, I think a cruise of at least 7 days is in order following any surgery, big or small, as long as the patient is mobile, has someone to help with the luggage, and is able to enjoy the relaxation, and great food.

Ken
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Admiral

and your medical insurance recognizes that it is part of your "pos-op" therapy and covers all of your spa treatments (mine did)
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Well, I don't think Dean and I have the same doc's, but they must be related because we are in complete agreement!!!! Now Ken says that a cruise should be a part of post-op care....I do believe I will be having surgery soon.....(I can't believe I'm going to have puncture wounds on my stomach....will I ever be able to wear a two piece swimsuit again????)
Anyway....should I get a prescription for a cruise from the doc?

Melody
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Admiral

Melody...by all means ask your Doctor for a note that says cruising is part of your "rehab"

I think you have bigger issues to worry about in terms of your cruise bathing warobe..Aren't you scheduled for a photo shoot for the upcoming Victoria Secret Nightshirt catalogue

BTW, Ken is absolutely correct about post operation recovery on a cruise..that's what I did after my spinal fusion operation and being in the hydrotherapy pool and spa treatments to bring the toxins out of my body enhanced my recovery by over 3 months..when I returned from the cruise my physical therapist was amazed..so you should plan on doing a HAL Westerdam Dave Koz Smooth Jazz Cruise (because great music is theraputic also) and do the spa, eat healthy, listen to great music and visit St Thomas so you can try the specialty drinks my other post were talking about, and work on your tan for your upcoming V.S shoot

Heck Will volunteered to be your bodyguard around the pool to keep those young hard body men away from you
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I used to work for a travel agency whose cruise department was called CruiseDocktors and we "DocKtors" would perscribe "Fun, Sun and Plenty Of Water" The perscription had a very high cure rate.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Admiral

Hi Laura..can't sleep heh
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Venice, I have always been a night wanderer. I am up early drinking coffee and getting a head start to my weekend. Got some Jimmy Buffett playing and just getting in the mood for my upcoming cruise. You should be sailing soon too? Birthday cruise in Maine? I was up in Eastport Maine in May just before I came to Florida. Taking time to see Eastport again while I attended the services for my aunt. Love that beautiful Maine coast.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 11th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Again..have a great cruise..due to the fact that my son is learning how to fly a new fighter aircraft..and I really wanted him to go on this Windjammer trip..we have deferred it until the end of September

Funny how when your children grow up and have their own families and careers, the parent has to work around the kids schedule
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Admiral

A little advice from a seasoned New Englander. If you are going to be sailing the Maine coast at the end of September bring a heavy coat with you. The mornings and evenings can be very cool then, especially on the water.
My cruise is the end of September too I sail om the Liberty on September 29.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old August 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice:

I've tried, it doesn't work.

I will say the best thing I can say is that if you do it right it's a phenomenal stress reliever. I bet it would beat Prozac, hands down.

But like all prescriptions if taken improperly it can have dangerous side effects.

1. Obsessive worrying about formal wear can heighten the anxiety.
2. Worrying about what other people will think of you.
3. Going to a message board for research and becoming involved in a smoking or jeans debate can cause a 72 hour psychiatric stay.

Otherwise: Do enough research to get you to and from you ship and basic ideas of what to do in port. After that let the prescription do its magic.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Laura, I grew up in upstate New York so I know how cool it gets in the late fall.I really wanted to go a couple weekends earlier, but it's more important to have my son with me..we will survive

Mike...I've got the stress relief down to a science..I start playing my "cruzin music" 72 hours before I leave so I am in the perfect mental state of mind the day of departure

I have a theory that would make a great thread topic one day when the board is slow...there is a "cruising experience" and then there is a "cruzin experience"..once you've been "cruzin".."cruising" becomes very very boring *(if there is such a thing)
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Captain

Default Re: Prescription For A Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Over the next two weeks I go for both of my annual physicals..one with my cardiologist and one with my orthopedic surgeon..I have phsycial therapy once a year which I have managed to convince my ortho doctor should be done on a cruise ship with a hydrotherapy pool which he gladly agrees

It caused me to think about what ailments a doctor could write a prescription for (just for fun of course)

I'll start

one week at the spa for my aching back

other suggestions ??
I have had several months of breathing problems beginning in February this year and still continuing, but improved. I explained to my doc that I did seem to breathe a little better while on our Grand Med cruise in May. He said that maybe the nice open salt/sea air did me some good. Of course, I immediately asked him to write me a prescription that I could send to BCBS to see if they would pay for me to take another cruise immediately!
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Admiral

I stubbed my toe this morning, does that qualify for a little cruise R&R??
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Rosetatto..not only does it qualify you. .you have to go to the spa everyday and indulge in a pedicure plus since you will be on crutches, you qualify for pre boarding which means you'll by pass 1,000's of folks who had been waiting to board since 1100 am
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Venice, a spa treatment and pedicure sounds heavenly...I've never treated myself to either on a cruise ship, I think it's time.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Admiral

my blood pressure has been borderline high. i think a cruise would lower it considerably. my medical insurance should cover it since it will be cheaper in the long run for them to pay for a cruise every now and then instead of $100 in meds each month for the rest of my life.
Mel dont worry about the surgery. you can still wear the bare all clothes. the incisions are tiny about 1/8-1/4" long. there are 4 incisions altogether but only 3 are visible. just start taking you vitamin e caps now to help with the healing and lessen scarring.

so now we all just need to find a doc that will write scripts for us and we're set.

Read and post cruise reviews