Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Default I Learned Something Last Week....

You never stop learning. This one cost me $200 bucks.

If you run Spybot, AdAware and Windows Defender to clean out your spyware....

Do NOT.... repeat.... DO NOT run them all simultaneously.

Maybe I have a cheap PC, who knows. My power supply blew up, literally.

However, it's nice to be back, after a 7-day vacation from CruiseMates, and the wired world in general.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Thanks for the info.....I think I'll print this post out!
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Cynic,

Maybe you should try the wireless world.........!

Anyway, as far as I know, you should just need Spybot to remove all the "malware" from your system. The others may be more trouble than they're worth (as you may have just found out.....)

Here's to a trouble-free future,

Dean
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cynic:

Power supplies are the most common hardware problem on computers. I hope it took more than the power supply out for a $200 repair.

I'm glad you are back among the living.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Admiral

very true mike since the power supply box ( over here at the store where I go) is 24.99 and can be changed in five minutes time and easily by ones self. It may have blown while doing all these things at once, but usuaully there is a problem with the power supply and then it blows............often you will hear a funny whine , two of my computers, gave me plenty of warning it was having "issues" with my demand and it was time to change the PS. You will often hear it when you are on high demand, and often it gets steadily worse, and louder, of course there was one that just blew........but no other harm ( thankfully) was done.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Admiral

I was not absolutely certain it was the Power Supply until after the diagnostic.... (I had a hunch, since a lot of other things of mine have similarly crapped out....)

The supply for my unit (500 watt) was $120. Dignostic $44 and installation $35

plus the taxes.

I bought the thing from a store owned by the "Geek Squad" folks, so I brought it back there. There is precious data, as well as equally precious English-Language versions of common software that I did not want to lose.

thus I did not want to mess with:
- aftermarket parts/incompatible parts
- shady installers
- non-pursuable company

I always get my electronic repairs (beyond my abilities) done at the most reputable place possible... so by extrapolation, I had it done there.

Does anybody want a nice toasted box full of semi-functional electronics?

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Oh CC you so got ripped on the pwer supply box, but that does not surprise me with the geek squad folks! If it was no longer under warranty, it is a job easily done by yourself, you just remove the cover, remove the various plugs, if memory isnt good ( ie. in your head) label what went where, unscrew the power supply box and zip in the new one, screw it in, attatch everything and you are done, Takes five minutes. Taking the cover on and off takes longer than anything else. I really like going to DDO electronic, they have only electronics in terms of for repair and that is where I get things like that. My companion is an electrician for Aircraft with Air Canada, ( he is now doing inspection on air crafyt since getting certifications to do this.........he is the one who makes sure your wing wont fall off! ) and he says they have the best parts for the best price. Places like B en Gros and Future sell it for under 50$ as well . Bottom line was they totally ripped you off, which is kind of a shame as once people figure out they were ripped, they wont go back, so in my view you loose money in the long run........
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Delft> The data therein is way too valuable to screw with... and it needed the diagnostic anyways....

You want me to fix your car? I can do a fairly half-assed job for you anytime, with scrapyard parts, just like DDO Electronic Surplus. (I would NEVER put anything in that place in my PC)

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Admiral

CC, your Data is not getting lost changing the power supply, and a "diagnostic"..........was a quick check any one can do. The problem is these companies make you believe you cannot do it on your own or that it is much more complicated than it actually is.

My DS's friend was devastated when his computer crashed and was told by Geek Squad that the data could not be retrieved easily and it would cost over 300$. My son did it using various recovery software in an hours time..........for a pizza( cause it is a friend ) I then re formatted it and we placed the data back in.

As for DDO electronic, I have no problem buying an item there, that is the same make and model as in B en Gros or future etc but half the money. Yes, for sure some of there stuff is cheap, and I dont buy that, but I think I will take the word of an electrician that certain things are just fine. The pwer supply box I bought there, was half the price than B en Gros - which btw is still more than half off what you paid and was the SAME make and model as the one at B en Gros- which is staples in the USA and rest of Canada. I choose to save the money.
If you have the ability to learn to make a computer from scratch, and do repairs, then you realize it is not so complicated and the components are pretty easy to handle! I always tell people to get to know their machines, take a course, and learn about it, it is much easier than you think,and is ever so interesting and alot of fun as well.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Admiral

and the biggest rule owning a computer to follow is back up your DATA! The number one thing people do not do, is back up data. If this is done, you will not worry when some thing really bad happens, as you will have it, either on a back up hard drive, or on DVD's or cd"s what ever, but back it up, and let it be a lesson to every one. The number one thing people call me for help with computers, is to get back their pictures, or email that went with a viral/worm what ever attack. I make it a rule to always back up every month and when ever it is something important. Pictures, get down loaded from camera to computer, and card is never wiped out till two DVD's are made of the pictures, ( yes two, in case on is damaged some how) My work, always saved in two locations, my desk top, and then on to RW cd's and or external hard drive. My email's and settings always saved onto a CD. I did crash last summer, and I just re formatted and put everything back in, nothing was lost. The time it takes to back up, is small compared to the grief and worry of losing what means alot to you and cannot be lost. You can get a good sized external hard drive for 100- now a days, and they are easy to use so you dont even need to burn DVD's or CD's........always have your data in two places, if one crashes or corrupts, make sure to save everything again to always have it in two places............
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Cynic:

I'm glad it's fixed. It's like taking your car in for maintenance you will always pay more for parts and labor. It's a fact of life and don't sweat it. You are among the living once again. I thought you had replaced the power supply yourself.

I can give you a lot of insight into squads of Geeks if you would like.

To other readers: Please don't put a $20 - $30 power supply in your machine. You are asking for trouble. They do not have the peak output tolerance (number of milliseconds at top load) needed to handle a heavy load or constant spikes nor are the components durable enough so that when they do "blow" they don't cause damage to other much more critical, unrecoverable and expensive components.

Yes: There may be a $25 Power Supply that is a decent one but unless you are an electronics technician and know every component in that power supply you are asking for trouble. It's like putting no-name parts on your car. "Hey I got a deal on an oil pump but the damn engine blew." Also: All power supplies don't fit all chassis. You need one that fits the case in your computer.

It's one of the main reasons to take your machine to a knowledgeable person for repair. Swapping components are simple but if the components you are swapping are crap, your computer is crap.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Admiral

agree and disagree Mike. If you know what the good models are, and you know and or are a certified electrician like my companion is, then you have the ability to buy according to the things you have mentioned, as well as if you take the time to read consumer reports to know and learn what models to buy and so on to replace. Its all about doing research and learning what you are doing. Kind of like Vista, at the store I was told geek squad would do it for me, for a charge of only 89.99 oh my it was so new and complicated, right, follow the on screene directions, make your back up DVD's, it was done in an hour.......I have never , and I mean ever just bought something with out researching it's pro's and con's.

One or rather, I was making the assumption that if some one replaces components, that they will do so knowing which ones are good and which are not. If I upgrade my memory, you can be sure that I read all the consumer reports and looked at various testing to decide which would be best.......I depend on my computer, I take care of it, I have built them from scratch, my companion knows plenty electrical being a certified electrician and sub specializing in many area's in electrical and I will go to him for advice on what I need, but I do the instalations. When I do buy in brand name big box stores, 2 in particular I know what the item is that I want, and the make and model, and I look for it to be on sale, when one see's the sale prices, any where from 10-60% off, one realizes the mark up on these items. When not on sale, I have been known on more than one occasion to go to the manager ( whom I know at a couple of places) and I tell them " Look I know this is the sale price that comes and goes every few months but I need it now.........and guess what, almost always...I get it for that price! Doesnt cost anything to ask, and I am a good customer and they know I come back............. This summer, I went with relative here from Antigua, bought a new lap top, he needed as well as a new all in one scanner, fax, printer.........the one he wanted was 200$, they were giving free printer/scanners with lap top purchase, we negotiated this better model and got it for 60$ versus 200$. You can get top of the line for bargan prices if you watch.

I also volunteer taking donated computers, fixing them up and donating them to low income intellectually disabled persons and seniors and teach them basics as well, and DS has learnt the same through a company that recycles computers for re sale where RD's son works, and of course I have taught DS alot as well. As a matter a fact I am sitting here working on two that came from doctors, and am upgrading them, replacing some componnents, re formatting them and then they will go to new homes, to two students from very low income homes who are starting college this year, so far never any complaints with the work I have done, or DS for that matter, and in my home I have let me see two desk tops, one server and two lap tops that I use and DS has four computers desktop down stairs and three lap tops......( he has the basement and it is electronic geek central down there)

As for the car, it gets factory origional cause she is a new car.......and as time marches on , I let my friend to decide when it is time to switch , and which parts are safe to switch to non origional, and that seems to have worked for me as I have never broken down on the road, and my cars have only ever had just regular care and repairs. I keep my cars for about 10 years and about 200 thousand KM on them. Then I usually give them away to some one who needs one. I am very vigilant with the care of my car, I was in the garage the other day and the guy said to me" I wish every one was like you with caring for their car". I figure, my life is in there, the life of my loved ones............it is worth the money.
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Admiral

One thing I learned a very very long time ago (and I'm sure it was an expensive lesson) is that if you do not know EXACTLY what you are doing, you take whatever's broke to the experts.

In this case, I bought the PC from the Geek store, they set it up, so they know it best. This particular PC is far too important to mess with, backed up or not......

As I said before, I have English version software loaded (no system discs) that is hard to come by these days.

I will install an external "shadow" hard drive, but am not sure if it will also back up applications.... we'll see...

Old August 13th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Admiral

hey my viewpoint is do what you are most comfortable with. if you would rather have someone else do it then more power to you. i also believe in spending alittle more money and getting quality merchandise then saving a buck or two and having to replace it in half the amount of time. heck i can do my own oil change but for $30 i let someone else handle the fuss and mess (supplies alone are about $10-15) and disposal. plus if something inadvertenly goes wrong (say the last idiot used an impact wrench to put on the drain plug) then the work is guaranteed (and im not stressed and cussing up a storm). i always have my computer plugged into a surge protecter not straight into an outlet although im sure everyone else does too. thats a no brainer.

Read and post cruise reviews