Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Default Husband wants to make a major lifestyle change, YIKES!!

No, its not what you think

We are big time city dwellers, born and raised. In the the past year, my husband has talked about possibly making a lifestyle change when we retire by purchasing an RV and hitting the road, and possibly buying a home in or near Myrtle beach as our homebase. This would be a major change for both us, and I suggested to him that we need to "get our feet wet" first and then decide if this would be for us. I do want to leave the city life and live out my retirement years in a more relaxed atmosphere, but in an RV, I am not so sure about that Relocating to South Carolina sounds ideal, and especially if we can live near Myrtle Beach, that would be great, because we both really like it there!

We are going to our 1st RV show next month, so thats a start, and I am looking into renting a cabin or mobile home next summer on a campground to see what thats all about.

Has anyone here made a lifestyle change before or after retiring???

I have also read many articles about people who have given up their corporate jobs and left the country to start a new life, and doing very well.

Who knows, it may just work for us!!, but time will tell!
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Admiral

I would strongly encourage you to go visit escapees.com
It's a really neat group of folks who have done exactly what you and your husband are considering right now. They are great folks and will give you very honest objective advice. They also have some great strategies to successfully live in an RV during your retirement years and offer services to facilitate this lifestyle. They are great folks! Please tell them Beenie Weenie said Hi! I love them all!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Louise, my DH and I have talked about doing the same thing, for years! We have had some kind of RV for a long time, but time constraints have prevented us from traveling the long distances that we want to.

DH has a book that looks at all aspects of full-timing or even being on the road for an extended time. I can't recall the title, but will ask him when he gets home. I will send you a PM. The book looks at the pros and cons of each RV type, especially if you are buying your first one.

I know a lot of people that have made that decision and have never regretted it and never looked back!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

louise, my x's parents both took early retirements at age 55, sold their home, gave away their furniture, and became full-time Airstreamers for over 15 years. They traveled all over the US and Canada and absolutely loved every mile!
Also, 26 years ago my x and I decided to forsake the city life and the fast lane to make a move to the mountains of NC. Our kids at the time were 13 and 11 so it was do it now or regret not doing it for the rest of our lives. We made the right choice, they have both married wonderful people and their lives have been blessed.
So my 2 cents worth is....go for it and have a blast doing it!
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
First Mate

I strongly suggest renting or leasing an RV and taking a few trips of 2 weeks or more unless you are experienced RVers. We knew some people who did what you are talking about with NO experience and HATED the life! The mistake cost them a lot of money and severely damaged their financial resources for retirement. If you are long-time RVers who love the life - go for it! Otherwise do as the other responder suggested and contact the people who are doing it now. They will help you get your feet wet without drowning.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Admiral

I, too, would recommend that you "get your feet wet" first. I think it is great advice to rent a RV a couple of times to see if it is for you.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I considered exactly what you're talking about, and did indeed buy a used 32' class A motorhome. We used it some, but it just wasn't the lifestyle for us. As a result, we sold it, with a little loss of funds, but not much. We did move from our BIG home with the attached pool and spa etc, etc, etc, to a little home on 2 acres in the country, where we can do exactly what we want, with no problems, and where our expenses are about 1/4th what they were before. We love it out here, and we'll probably be here for the rest of our days.
Give renting an RV a shot first, then if you like it, go for it! Buy the home away from the big city,,,downgrade your expenses, and get away from the rush rush lifestyle. You'll enjoy life, and live lots longer.

Ken
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Our friends just bought a huge RV and took their first trip - gone about a month. They called from the road and said they really thought they had made a mistake. It was more stressful than they thought, wished they hadn't bought such a large unit, on and on. They really had no experience with RVing and wish now they would have given it a try first.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default RVing

Louise----Speaking from experience I offer this.

I retired from Civil Service when I was 62. That was in 1982. Helen and I decided that we want to see the USA and Canada, so be bought an RV. First it was a 41 foot 5th Wheel. We wanted to live it so we did . Sold all our furniture and put personal stuff in a storage. We were in Albuquerque at the time so we selected a storage high and dry there.

We lived on the road untile 1985 and decided the 5th Wheel was unhandy because we had no transportation to move about while parked. So We bout us a 40 Diesel pushed Motor Home. We put a cougar in tow and that was fine. We lived in the MH for 10 years and traveled every state in the lower 40 and all Pronvinces in Canada. We loved it. We followed the sun and belonging to 2 Campground memberships mad it very handy and reasonalable to live on the road.

No property tax and would park it at a member campground and traveled the world and cruised whereever and whenever we wished.

My recomendation is go for the RV and enjoy it. You cannot go wrong.

We regret we had to leave the road because of care of kind folks so we built our home in Ocoee.

If you need any details give me a shout.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

my suggestion is to rent "the long long trailer" with lucille ball and desi arnez. and then if you still feel up to it, give it a shot. nothing is permanent, if you don't like it you two can figure out something else. if you never try you'll never know!!
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know that down here in Arizona we see a lot of RVers, even in the hot heat of summer Yuma is still full of them, and then in winter entire cities of them appear where there was nothing before. Every RVer knows Quartzsite AZ, where in winter it has 50,000 residences (or something lie that) and in summer just a few hundred. We see that it is very easy to rent one and try it out, but as Ray said, having the campgound memberships, etc, probably make it a lot easier.

The problem with renting is you won't have your second car to get around, unless you can arranhe to tow one (I guess that is how it works). Plus there are some grea campground locations, but you probably have to get reservations a year in advance.

In any case, I know some people try it and love it, and others don't. I think I would like it for a few years, but we also jave a small home already buily 2 miles from the beach in near San Diego to move to when I hit 55 in 3 years, so we have something planned already.

Too bad the Real Estate market slumped and gas skyrocketted. Three years ago would have been the perfect time to sell the house, but and RV, and spend a year on the road. Then come back to a buyers market in real estate and find something smaller.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I think that is a great idea. Travel with your home with you, like a turtle.
For us, it is not in the picture. I have enought to do at home.
When we want to get away, we book a cruise.
We are at retirement age, except we still work part time.
When we get to old to enjoy our home, then who knows?
We travel when and where we want, the shore, mountains, etc.
To have a RV and have to cook and clean...
Carole 8)
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Passenger

You guys are fantastic!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!!!

I personally just want to relocate after retirement to a nice calm relaxing atmosphere, but my husband has always been the adventurous type, which is one of the things I love about him. He certainly keeps me on my toes . However, I will consider the RV lifestyle, but only after we test the waters.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Admiral

Mrs. Thomas and I are pursuing the same thing. As soon as we sell the business we own we will sell the house and buy the RV and hit the road. We've been planning this for over 3 years now. We've rented the RV's in the past to explore the lifestyle. My aunt and uncle have been full-timers for over 12 years and love it. Here are some considerations:

1) If you maintain a stick and brick home you will never be free. You'll always be tethered to it and long trips in the RV will be filled with worry that vandals, or squirrels, or leaky water lines, or fallen tree branches, etc. have imposed their will on your home.

2) The cost of maintaining a stick and brick and RV'ing will be high. You'll soon come to the conclusion the mortgage payments, insurance, utilities, lawn maintenance, repairs, etc. for a place you're only visiting is not prudent.

3) If you're full timing (or close to full timing) in the RV every additional foot of RV you get is valuable. You will have to conserve in areas you're not accustomed to conserving before. That is; space (you'll only keep the essentials for living), weight (get rid of the china and replace with plastic dishes, switch to a laptop instead of the desktop and monitor, flat screen TV's, etc.), noise (even blenders in a campground can be annoying to your neighbors)

Check out RV.net. Lot's of good forums just like here.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default rv

Thomas well said. Those 10 years on the road were the best part of our lives.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:22 PM
Passenger

I can offer what I know from my Aunt and Uncle who decided to go the RV route.

They retired, bought a smaller home, and bought a HUGE RV.
(I was personally concerned that they had joined a Rock and Rock band)

They had always had some type of RV through the years, so they knew what to expect.

But things changed. My aunt said it was too big for her to drive and park, and my Uncle was getting older and got tired of having to do all the driving. The RV was so big, with a car in tow, they had even more trouble.

My aunt said it wasn't much of a vacation for her.... cooking 3 meals a day, cleaning up in a small kitchen, no dishwasher.......mopping, vaccuming, trying to do laundry. And of course then there was the gas!

I'm not sure how much it cost to fill it up, because my Uncle fainted everytime he saw the total.

The payments were high, the insurance was high, gas was high, plus RV park fees, maintenance costs.....
My aunt said it wasn't much of a vacation experience for her.

So she totaled up all the expences and compared them to a nice cruise vacation, Hawaii vacation, or just a few weeks at different places they wanted to visit..
She said they would come out ahead to just drive a car, or even fly, to a vacation spot, get a nice hotel....and she didn't have to cook, clean, find a laundry, etc.

They sold the RV, didn't have the additional gas to buy, the extra insurance, and now they go where they want and enjoy being "pampered"
Waiting for Dec 09 for Hawaii Cruise on the Golden!
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can only reply to the Myrtle Beach part. DO IT, we did 15 years ago and have never regretted it. We are only there part time, it is a 2nd home. We love every minute we spend there. When we want to travel we cruise.
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Although the lifestyle doesn't appeal to me, I know it is great for a lot of people. I think dipping your toe in the water with a few rentals is clearly the best advice.

And on the financial side, RV's are the subject of many financial horror stories for one simple reason: people who sell their houses and buy an RV sometimes forget that they are trading an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset. Yes, I know it seems like home prices aren't appreciating these days, but we know that over time, they do.

The danger is that seniors who make this "swap" with little in other assets run the risk of outliving their home. Financial planners call them the "RV homeless" when they wind up with a broken down, useless RV, good health, and not much cash. Apparently it happens with great regularity.

Just a word to the wise.
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Husband wants to make a major lifestyle change, YIKES!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louise71594
No, its not what you think

We are big time city dwellers, born and raised. In the the past year, my husband has talked about possibly making a lifestyle change when we retire by purchasing an RV and hitting the road, and possibly buying a home in or near Myrtle beach as our homebase. This would be a major change for both us, and I suggested to him that we need to "get our feet wet" first and then decide if this would be for us. I do want to leave the city life and live out my retirement years in a more relaxed atmosphere, but in an RV, I am not so sure about that Relocating to South Carolina sounds ideal, and especially if we can live near Myrtle Beach, that would be great, because we both really like it there!

We are going to our 1st RV show next month, so thats a start, and I am looking into renting a cabin or mobile home next summer on a campground to see what thats all about.

Has anyone here made a lifestyle change before or after retiring???

I have also read many articles about people who have given up their corporate jobs and left the country to start a new life, and doing very well.

Who knows, it may just work for us!!, but time will tell!
This was my brother's plan. They rented one for a vacation and hated it.

That ended that plan.

Brian

Sensation
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Admiral

You can make it what you want. I know people who have full timed for less than $1000 per month. They only stay in National Parks and are self contained. They dump when necessary, use the campground baths, use 12 volt appliances, run the generator only when necessary, have solar panels to keep the batteries topped off, etc.

If you buy a used 5th wheel, or TT, and a used truck to pull them it is not expensive. Many people live this way. Stay parked longer and save gas. There are many free campgrounds all over the country. In fact, go to www.freecampgrounds.com to see a list.

Regards,
Thomas