Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Are You a Luggage Fanatic?

I just came back from Marshalls and boy did they have some great luggage. not that I need any, but that didn't stop me from looking!

I saw a So many choices now...Wonderful, easy to spot in a terminal colors, quilted, printed. leathers, etc, ...sheesh, I wanted to roll a few to the checkout counter!

My best ever find, was A Sharper Image, garment bag, for $59.00! I swear, it holds the world, and more! My other pieces now are a light shade of blue, so much easier to spot, after a trip!

So what color do you have, and how do you make it easier to find it? I have seen crime tape on some, and those shower scrubbies on others!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I don't know about a fanatic but the best luggage we have purchased has been at, believe it or not, TJ Maxx. They are a Victoronix (Swiss Army) garment bag and two Jeep, 26" suitcases. They are all lightweight and extremely durable. The garment bag is bright red, as is one suitcase, the other suitcase is bright blue. This makes them easy to spot on the luggage carousel. I've priced them at luggage stores and they are about four times more than we paid for them. The Victoronix was the best deal.

The biggest piece of crap we have is a Polo, rolling garment bag. This thing was expensive and while it looks "pretty" is not durable nor functional. We used it on one cruise. It now sits in the basement.

The last one is my old Samsonite suiter. It has been around since the early nineties and has a few hundred thousand miles on it. I love it. I can pack a weeks worth of business clothes in it or all the "hanging" items we need for a cruise. It still works well after all these years.

The thing I can never understand is why anyone would spend $2000 + on a set of leather luggage when it is going to be beaten to death, scuffed and poked by baggage handlers, conveyors and pier workers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Mike, I agree, Marshall and T.J have great luggage. I once had my hands on an Italian import at TJ, It was bright yellow. Bruce had to almost pry my hands off it. Every time I went back, it was still there..Had to be the color, which I would have loved!

Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Unlike the Mrs, the captain likes to travel light!!! L O L but true !.
I once went on a 3 week trip to Europe with only 1 carry-on bag!
. I kid you not
My wife, that's a different story

Captain
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Trip, you must have had me in mind when you started this thread! I have never met a piece of luggage I didn't love or need. All of mine are black, but I tie ribbon on each handle, so it is easy to spot. Like Mike, I have figured out the the real inexpensive luggage just doesn't hold up, regardless of how pretty it is.

I went to the "luggage store" the other day, and the first piece the salesman showed me was a beautiful 26" suitcase. It was $795! I moved to the back of the store to a pile that had a great big SALE sign on top of them. I bought a new 26" and a new carryon size.

I told the salesman that walking into his store was almost as good as walking into a jewelry store or a shoe store! He offered me a job!

Oh yeah, the pieces I already had are Travelpro and the ones I bought last week are Victorinox Swiss Army. Mike, great minds think alike!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Default Are You a Luggage Finatic?

We have Travelpro. The big ones (for a cruise) are black and Keith puts brightly striped tape on them to make them easy to find on the carousel.

The Travelpro carry on pieces (mine is red, Keith's is black). Problem with them is that there are too many places to put stuff, and you can't find anything!

We gradually bought these, because our old Hartman pieces were not on wheels.

We also have some old Samsonite luggage that we like.

Judy
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
First Mate

My luggage is red. Believe or not, I got it at Big Lots !!
I love it because it is expandable and holds alot.
I put these colored plastic discs on it so I can recognize them. They come in different colors and they're actually supposed to hold address info.

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Check out Bags.com. We have purchased some amazing luggage there for a very modest price. The service and quality was great. They even have customer reviews of each line.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

My luggage is all black. The best brand that last and last is Samsonite.
I found a great bargin at Sears. 4 pieces for $89.00. They are the Ballistic nylon with lots of zippers, pockets, and expands to extra 4".
Now, to see how they hold up. We took one large one with us to New Mexico. When you put bright color ribbon, & tags they are easier to find.
I guess that is why it was on sale. lol :o

always remember this wise advice:
Take half the clothes and twice the money.
Mix & match: pack a neutral color & add colorful accesories.
Layering is versatile & less bulky.
Be culturall sensitive: learn the cultura of your destinations
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Passenger

I am a luggage, handbag and tote bag fanatic. I just sold a luggage set I purchased 3 years ago, and bought a new set from JCPenney, which I really like. I told my husband this is our final set, in addition to tote bags, and weekend bags, enough is enough

Now we have bags for every vacation type; weekends, week long, overnight etc.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Is there a 12-Step Program for luggage addicts? If so, I need to sign up. My goal in life is to find the "perfect" luggage and when I do, I'll still keep looking.

My current set is a "Safari Print" bought on E-Bay - holding up fine and not expensive. About every 2 years I add a few hundred bucks to my cruise fare and buy new luggage. All my friends know where to borrow what they need.

My very favorite carry on is a $40.00 leather duffel I bought in Limon, Costa Rica in 1994 - 13 years ago! Lots of pockets and zippers, fabulous leather and it's been all over the world with me, been wringing wet and dried beautifully.

I remember the day I bought it in Limon - I was on the old Sky Princess and I shopped the "stalls" on the pier. I loved the bag and didn't barter one cent. When I returned to the ship and told some friends about my find, one woman said, "Did you try to talk them down to $30.00?" I said, "No, I was not going to compromise myself for the price of a glass of good wine - I am lucky enough to be on a cruise and that young lady needed the money more than I do". That shut her up.

Also love TJMaxx for luggage and a great shop called "Purses and Things" in St. Thomas.....lovely people and great prices.

belgique
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
Admiral

I have a 7 piece set that is tan in color, two garment bags, one green and one black, two black duffle bags. I used the neon colored tape that is used in construction when the stakes are wrapped with it. Orange and green.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Whatever happened to the steamer trunk.........?

Dean
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Admiral

We had a set of paisley print green luggage I bought for our 1st cruise,,,,then when they came out with the rolling stuff I had to update. I bought a set of purple luggage. I love it,,,,as I'm sure RD would as well

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Admiral

When I travel I always travel light. I usually do with a carry on...

However.... about 20 years ago I went to an estate sale. In one of the rooms was an old steamer trunk.. Wood interior with drawers and a clothes hanging area.. metal on the outside with leather handles.. I fell in love with it. I paid $50 for it. I should take a picture of it for you guys. It reminds me of the trunks they take on the old steamliners....

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

the best luggage that we have found is by BOYT. it is nylon/cordura, it is tough as nails, our is dark green & black we put hot pink tape on ours to recognize them
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
............about 20 years ago I went to an estate sale. In one of the rooms was an old steamer trunk.. Wood interior with drawers and a clothes hanging area.. metal on the outside with leather handles.....

...............must have been recovered from THAT ship of mine, you know the one I am talking about, Chelsea!

Captain
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Default Are You a Luggage Finatic?

I have an old steamer truck. Can't remembe where I got it, but it came in really handy when I moved from Atlanta to Los Angeles.
It now serves as an end table beside a chaise lounge complete with a lamp and a stack of stuff! 8)

Judy
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
If you can do a seven day cruise with a carry on you are my hero!!!!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We travel with hard sided Samsonite Ultra Lights ... at the moment.

Got these about 4 years ago... bright red... but we still put crime scene tape on them, even though we've only seen the same set once in all our travels.

These have been the best pieces we've ever owned. 4 years... and about 17 cruises, and they've taken all the beatings with no problems. They also have combination locks, so no carrying keys around (to lose).
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:
If you can do a seven day cruise with a carry on you are my hero!!!!!!

Take care,
Mike
I've done two week business trips with a carry on. Its called everything that mixes and matches together... The hotel did laundry on the weekend and I was good to go for the next business week.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Admiral

okay Trip you will love this: my luggage is not expensive; however, after having several "basic black" roller suitcases taken by mistake at the cruise terminal I decided to make my stand out. I bought fabric paint from the kraft store and glue on jewels and beads my suitcase looks like something from the 70''s flowers and beads, also a drew a picture of Snoopy flying his doghouse on one side; the weirdest looking stickman on the backside; my last name on the top of the suitcase AND on the handle; every square inch is covered; I have had luggage handlers "jump back" and do a double take and laugh and says whatever works for you . sad to say, this suitcase is on its 5th year and about to be retired; so I can't wait to decorate the next one.

but if I had money, I would have the snazziest purple luggage money could buy - but then Rollerdonna might end of taking it
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Whatever happened to the steamer trunk.........?

Dean
Mr. Tropical Storm, I happen to have a steamer trunk that my great uncle used during WWI. It is in a place of honor. On the top of my bookcase for all to see.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Martha, Martha , Martha! You blinged out your luggage! You must have the best loooking bags in the terminal! I am soooo proud!

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Admiral

since we started to cruise, I changed the luggage.....Black and Navy blue...enough said on that. Nowe I have a pale blue with Carribean palm all over it.......DS has bright orange..............and my partner has black...........yes still black..........so I tied dog print fabric all over it..........I never pay alot for bags any more..........why? Because I travel on the airlines alot, and I have learned that for me.........expensive or not, they just get ruined. So, actually, I have not bought bags for air travel in Lord knows how long, cause every time the air lines wreck a bag, they replace it, and I might add with better than the origional bags ! I take pictures of everything, they wreck the bag, I fill out the papers, attatch my pics of what I had.....and I get a new bag. But for cruising I did buy the bright colors as in the terminal its pretty hard other wise to find the black and navy bags.
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Michael,

Way to go! I love steamer trunks. I tried finding them a few years ago, but with no success.

Kuki -- what if you forget the combination............?

Dean
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Admiral

I love luggage and in the next year will hopefully replace my navy blue set that has served us well since about 2000 - still ok, but I'm sick of them. When I was in TJMaxx yesterday I was drooling over all the luggage, my niece, who also shares this fetish, had to drag me away, off to the hand bags, where I have an equally hard time. Really wanted a new bag, but just couldn't choose. I have a black Coach that was a gift so I use that most of the time in the winter, but would love a larger bag but couldn't choose between brown and red, and if red - matte or patent. I did fall in love with one brown bag, but it was just too heavy, and my husband, already mad at the amount I have spent this month - my recouperation shopping, I didn't dare spend the $400 - but I did buy a cute yellow bag - just a cheapy to go with one outfit I'm creating. Then we progressed onto the shoes. I did get the cutest little brown plaid flats with a sqaure toe and a gold buckle. I fell in love immediately....
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Martha, Martha , Martha! You blinged out your luggage! You must have the best loooking bags in the terminal! I am soooo proud!
Trip - I never thought of it that way - my luggage is blinged - what a hoot - my boyfriend hates it - he refuses to carry it !!! - but guess what, no one has picked it up by mistake
- the last time my luggage was taken by mistake I had to meet the luggage taker at the police station (at a halfway point between our house and her house) to exchange our suitcases - I'm thinking they took it, they should come to my house - but she was afraid and felt safer exchanging the luggage at the police station
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Here's my trunk... It was built by Oshkosh Trunk.. If you look on this site, its almost exactly like the one Bela Lugosi toured with.
http://www.oldtrunks.com/history/his...ial_trunks.htm

Now this is what I call luggage!

Old August 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Dina that is coool!!!! you definetly got a good deal when you found that!
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat