Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default Million dollar doggy!

I can take care of the dog much cheaper
Helmsley's Dog Gets $12 Million in Will
Wednesday August 29, 6:12 am ET
Helmsley Dog Gets $12 Million, but Real Estate Billionaire Leaves Nothing to 2 Grandchildren

NEW YORK (AP) -- Leona Helmsley's dog will continue to live an opulent life, and then be buried alongside her in a mausoleum. But two of Helmsley's grandchildren got nothing from the late luxury hotelier and real estate billionaire's estate.
Helmsley left her beloved white Maltese, named Trouble, a $12 million trust fund, according to her will, which was made public Tuesday in surrogate court.

She also left millions for her brother, Alvin Rosenthal, who was named to care for Trouble in her absence, as well as two of four grandchildren from her late son Jay Panzirer -- so long as they visit their father's grave site once each calendar year.

Otherwise, she wrote, neither will get a penny of the $5 million she left for each.

Helmsley left nothing to two of Jay Panzirer's other children -- Craig and Meegan Panzirer -- for "reasons that are known to them," she wrote.

But no one made out better than Trouble, who once appeared in ads for the Helmsley Hotels, and lived up to her name by biting a housekeeper.

"I direct that when my dog, Trouble, dies, her remains shall be buried next to my remains in the Helmsley mausoleum," Helmsley wrote in her will.

The mausoleum, she ordered, must be "washed or steam-cleaned at least once a year." She left behind $3 million for the upkeep of her final resting place in Westchester County, where she is buried with her husband, Harry Helmsley.

She also left her chauffeur, Nicholas Celea, $100,000.

She ordered that cash from sales of the Helmsley's residences and belongings, reported to be worth billions, be sold and that the money be given to the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.

Her longtime spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, had no comment.

Helmsley died earlier this month at her Connecticut home. She became known as a symbol of 1980s greed and earned the nickname "the Queen of Mean" after her 1988 indictment and subsequent conviction for tax evasion. One employee had quoted her as snarling, "Only the little people pay taxes."

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Admiral

I heard this, too.

Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

That's a big pile of dog do-do
Now I know why the call her "queen of mean"
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

She may have gave millions to the dog and who really knows why she didn't give the money to the grandkids. It sure as heck isn't me and I really don't care. But she also gave:

From CNN:

"Leona Helmsley's charitable activities included a $25 million gift to New York Presbyterian Hospital, $5 million to Katrina relief and $5 million to help the families of firefighters after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

In the late 1990s, she gave millions of dollars to help rebuild African-American churches that had been burned in the South. "

I personally feel that people can be portrayed in many ways and that almost all rich, business people have two sides and use them to get where they are.

She may not have been "nice" but I don't think she was too "evil".

I wonder how Donald Trump, Martha Stewart, or others will be portrayed.

Though: Suzanne Pleshette did a great job, portraying her, in the TV movie.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Incredible

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As I mentioned in the 6 degrees post, the Rabbi, that married us, was the Rabbi, at her sons funeral, and, honestly because of that, I should have been left something I thought!<vbg>

Mike, those false teeth they made Suzanne wear, ruined it for me!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Crazy and mean to the end!!
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

She may or may not have been mean, I dont know her therefore I cannot really say. I have heard though that she has given an awful lot to charity, and what ever is left over from the pooch, goes again to charity.......by way of foundation. There is probably an awful lot in the family's goings on that we do not know about..........if I have learned anything, it's that an awful lot goes on behind closed doors.

I have also seen within my own family a sense of entitlement to family money. I do not belive in this at all. Ones money is ones money, and kids or not, grandkids or not, I dont like when I see, and I see it often, kids and grandkids who seem to think or feel they are owed money in the family. I personally like to share my money with my kid, but I have a good relationship with him and he works HARD, and he doesnt feel he is owed it.......but I would not be this way if some of my relatives were my kid..........

As for the pooch , my little Lilly is clearly a distant cousin, and I can only hope she will take pity on her distant cousin and possibly spring for a new hair do or something nice for my little old lady...........